• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

THE Official 2019-2020 Hot Stove Thread

T.G.

Would like the Angels to try and pry Edwin Diaz away from the Mets. 2 years ago he had 50+ saves for the Mariners. When he was dealt to the Mets along with Cano, Diaz just fell apart. I believe that the Mets tweaked his delivery and it really threw him off. I am hoping that the Angels can get him on the cheap and tell him to do what it was that he was doing before.

Go Halos!!!

22 minutes ago, 19HALO71 said:

Would like the Angels to try and pry Edwin Diaz away from the Mets. 2 years ago he had 50+ saves for the Mariners. When he was dealt to the Mets along with Cano, Diaz just fell apart. I believe that the Mets tweaked his delivery and it really threw him off. I am hoping that the Angels can get him on the cheap and tell him to do what it was that he was doing before.

Go Halos!!!

I’m sure Callaway has already tried with Diaz

Miami considering non-tendering Urena.  He's due to make about 4m this year through arb.  Great velo.  How about a swap of Ward for him?  If he doesn't stay a starter, he'd be a decent option for the pen.  Of course this would  not be one of the primary or secondary options for the rotation.  

4 hours ago, rottiesworld said:

Well there is always a stupid team that is going to just throw money to get a player. It looks like Chicago White Sox is the team this year.

4 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

I believe the Rangers are another team to worry about in terms of spending stupid money this offseason. 

Yep. This is why people need to stop worrying about the Yankees and Dodgers. Our biggest threat for the top guys will be some team with loads of money to overpay.

10 hours ago, floplag said:

The one thing we can ill afford is another year of being finalist that landed nothing.  already seen it once with Grandal, that trend needs to stop.

a good time to remind everyone that not only does eppy have to pursue players and make good offers to them, but players have to want to come to Anaheim to play here. 

if a player doesn't sign here, it's not necessarily the gm's fault. see teixera, mark.

10 hours ago, 19HALO71 said:

Go Halos!!!

why would our new pitching coach who was his manager on the team that f'ed him up, supposedly, be the guy to fix him in this scenario?

1 hour ago, Tank said:

a good time to remind everyone that not only does eppy have to pursue players and make good offers to them, but players have to want to come to Anaheim to play here. 

if a player doesn't sign here, it's not necessarily the gm's fault. see teixera, mark.

With Cole, that will not be the case. My concern is that Eppler will hold too tightly to his valuation of players and end up with nothing. Sometimes you have to overpay. Grandal was probably not the best player for us to overpay with our lack of pitching. 

6 hours ago, Sean-Regan said:

With Cole, that will not be the case. My concern is that Eppler will hold too tightly to his valuation of players and end up with nothing. Sometimes you have to overpay. Grandal was probably not the best player for us to overpay with our lack of pitching. 

I agree. The question is What is the best way to overpay? Is it with the contract length or total money? I would choose length of contract for Cole.

https://www.mlb.com/news/how-the-angels-can-get-mike-trout-back-to-playoffs

Short version  (to 95 wins) - sign Cole, Keuchel, trade for Wilson Contreras, and hope Trout, Upton, Simba, Ohtani all stay healthy, Pujols rides the pine more, Adell contributes 3 WAR - and the Astros come back to earth.   Add 12 wins through roster adds and "hope."   

Rationale for Keuchel is he's low-risk and good for +3 wins - I think saying Keuchel is "low-risk" is a little over-stated, long-term - I like Keuchel for a 1-year, maybe even 2-year deal - but there are signs he's reaching a tipping point ...

8 hours ago, Tank said:

True, but is it not also his job in part to make them want to?  It isnt exactly a hard sell.  
There are of course exceptions, Ramos last year for example, and he should not throw silly money to change that, but he needs to get the guys we need to compete.

26 minutes ago, eligrba said:

I agree. The question is What is the best way to overpay? Is it with the contract length or total money? I would choose length of contract for Cole.

I'll throw a curveball at this one and say maybe you overpay for the second starter you get. Cole will get paid no matter what. Maybe you overpay a little for someone like Wheeler to take him away from Chicago and give our rotation a lethal 1-2-3 punch with Cole, Wheeler, Ohtani.

7 minutes ago, DCAngelsFan said:

Short version  (to 95 wins) - sign Cole, Keuchel, trade for Wilson Contreras, and hope Trout, Upton, Simba, Ohtani all stay healthy, Pujols rides the pine more, Adell contributes 3 WAR - and the Astros come back to earth.   Add 12 wins through roster adds and "hope."   

Rationale for Keuchel is he's low-risk and good for +3 wins - I think "risk" is over-stated - I like Keuchel for a 1-year, maybe even 2-year deal - but there are signs he's reaching a tipping point ...

Cole, Keuchel and Contreras would make me happy. 

Very curious to know the package it would take to get Contreras. If it would still leave us a prospect or two to make a move at the deadline if we’re in contention

27 minutes ago, DCAngelsFan said:

Rationale for Keuchel is he's low-risk and good for +3 wins - I think "risk" is over-stated - I like Keuchel for a 1-year, maybe even 2-year deal - but there are signs he's reaching a tipping point ...

Very interesting article. I like it

1 hour ago, floplag said:

True, but is it not also his job in part to make them want to?  It isnt exactly a hard sell.  
There are of course exceptions, Ramos last year for example, and he should not throw silly money to change that, but he needs to get the guys we need to compete.

of course that goes with his job. how easy is it to dangle the prospect of playing everyday with trout and ohtani, and have simba as your ss? but players might not want to uproot their family and move across country, or they may not want to live in earthquake or fire zones, or whatever else. a gm can only do so much.

2 minutes ago, Tank said:

of course that goes with his job. how easy is it to dangle the prospect of playing everyday with trout and ohtani, and have simba as your ss? but players might not want to uproot their family and move across country, or they may not want to live in earthquake or fire zones, or whatever else. a gm can only do so much.

Of course, as said, some have thier minds made up where they want to be, hes not going to affect that.  Most here tend to say money makes the decisions more than anything else, im not one of them, but this team really shouldnt be a hard sell if it can just stop falling on its own dork for a season