• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

THE Official 2019-2020 Hot Stove Thread

T.G.

1 minute ago, CanadianHalo said:

So do I and like you, I’ve said so since day 1. I think it’s a must for us to add a 3rd. I still think Teheran would be a great 3rd get. However I realize he’s probably going to get 10-12 mill/year which if we do spend on Wheeler + Cole then there isn’t the funds leftover for Teheran.

That market for the second-tier FA arms behind Cole and Strasburg is starting to feel like it's going to be so competitive and so difficult for the Angels to actually land one without a big overpay, that I'm starting to think trading for that second arm could be the likelier outcome. Depending on who that is, there might be money for a third SP.

45 minutes ago, totdprods said:

I think ultimately that's the ideal scenario for the Angels and I think you're right on in speculating on that leverage...

For me, I've had a really hard time assuming the Angels would land Wheeler, due to Eppler's tendency to refuse to overpay and the sheer volume of teams chasing him. I absolutely think it's the right path though - sign Wheeler ASAP and let the rest of the SP market, including Cole, play out.

That "tendency" has happened the last few years with Eppler and I wonder if this year Arte steps in to "open payroll" to make sure we don't whiff. 

11 minutes ago, totdprods said:

That market for the second-tier FA arms behind Cole and Strasburg is starting to feel like it's going to be so competitive and so difficult for the Angels to actually land one without a big overpay, that I'm starting to think trading for that second arm could be the likelier outcome. Depending on who that is, there might be money for a third SP.

Very true.

The fact I’ve read that Minnesota is in on Wheeler tells me all I need to know about Wheeler’s market. Everyone and their dog seems to be in on him. 

Trade for a 2nd and then sign someone hopefully cheaper like Keuchel could leave us some cash to add a bat. Yes Keuchel will be 32 but at this point you know what you’re getting and as long as he’s come to terms with how much teams truly value him and not what he believes he’s worth he could be a solid add for a reasonable price. 

12 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Depends who we are trading for. I'd sign Cole as a #1 and Teheran as a #3 but then we better trade for one hell of a #2 guy or else it's back to the drawing board.
But like previously mentioned, maybe having Maddon/Callaway as the leaders can help sway Wheeler to want to join Cole (assuming we sign him). 
Maybe reports of us interested in Wheeler are because they are telling him "hey, Cole wants to come to Anaheim and he wants you to join him with Maddon and Callaway.... And oh, Mike Trout.

13 minutes ago, CanadianHalo said:

Very true.

The fact I’ve read that Minnesota is in on Wheeler tells me all I need to know about Wheeler’s market. Everyone and their dog seems to be in on him. 

Trade for a 2nd and then sign someone hopefully cheaper like Keuchel could leave us some cash to add a bat. Yes Keuchel will be 32 but at this point you know what you’re getting and as long as he’s come to terms with how much teams truly value him and not what he believes he’s worth he could be a solid add for a reasonable price. 

Wheeler makes it easy for a lot of teams to pass on Cole. I don’t think Strasburg will have many suitors - Cole night not either - but it seems to me that teams like NYY, Houston, Philly, Atlanta, Los Angeles, San Diego, teams mostly rumored to be in the Cole/Strasburg field, could be just as happy stopping 5/$100m on Wheeler and saving a ton of money. And that still leaves teams like Minnesota, both Chicago teams, the Mets, Nationals, the Brewers, Cardinals, Reds, Rangers as a field who weren’t going to be in on Cole realistically, but still could target Wheeler as their top rotation add. 

As soon as Odorizzi took the QO it raised the competition big-time for the mid-tier.

1 hour ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

I'm actually warming up to the idea of signing Ryu to a 3 yrs 45-50 mil contract as the 2nd pitcher. It's going to be risk, dude to fact he miss time each year, he's 32 and how will he fair against the Al. But on the other side he has shown to be dominate and is only a 3yr deal.

Anyone know his stats against the Al? thru his career and than the the last 2 years?

He's only pitched 86 innings against the AL in his career, so it's more instructive to look at it in total than breaking it into individual years.  Overall, he has a 3.85 ERA and a 1.235 WHIP against the AL.  His overall career numbers are 2.98 and 1.164.

1 hour ago, angelsnationtalk said:

That "tendency" has happened the last few years with Eppler and I wonder if this year Arte steps in to "open payroll" to make sure we don't whiff. 

Which I think is fine for Cole or Strasburg - they’re franchise players - but Arte stepping in or radically overpaying for Wheeler would be really short-sighted and reckless, IMO.

Great arm, would love to have him, his best years may yet be ahead of him, but there needs to be a limit as to how much we overpay for someone like Zack Wheeler.

1 hour ago, angelsnationtalk said:

Depends who we are trading for. I'd sign Cole as a #1 and Teheran as a #3 but then we better trade for one hell of a #2 guy or else it's back to the drawing board.

It’s really hard to speculate because...will Cole be $225m? $250m? More? Will Teheran (or comparable arms like Keuchel, Gibson, Roark, Wood) actually get ~$10m? Will they get less? Will they get a little more, making guys like Anderson, Smyly, Moore, Ross, Miley, Gio, Bailey more appealing at $3m-$8m?

Would that second arm be at the top of the arb-scale, like Stroman or Quintana or Ray at ~$11m or someone like Matz, Bundy, DeSclafani, Boyd or Gray, closer to $6-8m? Someone cheaper like Joe Ross or Ross Stripling at $2m? Will it be a salary dump like Darvish, Sale, Price, Samardzija, Lester, or Bauer?

All of that variation could totally change up what money can be spent, either by trade or FA, for the second and potentially third arm.

I think it would be more cost effective to overpay a little for Wheeler.  Giving him 5/110 to get him and make sure you've got at least of this winter's top SP could be worth it and then you become less worried about having to give Cole an extra 30-40 mil to get him.  Not sure if my thought process or math is right with that thinking, but it makes sense in my brain.  

17 minutes ago, totdprods said:

It’s really hard to speculate because...will Cole be $225m? $250m? More? Will Teheran (or comparable arms like Keuchel, Gibson, Roark, Wood) actually get ~$10m? Will they get less? Will they get a little more, making guys like Anderson, Smyly, Moore, Ross, Miley, Gio, Bailey more appealing at $3m-$8m?

Would that second arm be at the top of the arb-scale, like Stroman or Quintana or Ray at ~$11m or someone like Matz, Bundy, DeSclafani, Boyd or Gray, closer to $6-8m? Someone cheaper like Joe Ross or Ross Stripling at $2m? Will it be a salary dump like Darvish, Sale, Price, Samardzija, Lester, or Bauer?

All of that variation could totally change up what money can be spent, either by trade or FA, for the second and potentially third arm.

we're not getting a third arm.