• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

THE Official 2019-2020 Hot Stove Thread

T.G.

Rangers acquire Wellington Castillo

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/10/rangers-acquire-welington-castillo.html

The Rangers have acquired catcher Welington Castillo and international draft bonus pool money from the White Sox in exchange for minor league outfielder and corner infielder Jonah McReynolds, as per Rangers executive VP of communications John Blake (Twitter link).  Texas has also outrighted left-hander Jesse Biddle and outfielder Zack Granite to Triple-A, with Biddle first being reinstated from the 60-day injured list.

Edited by True Grich

Just now, True Grich said:

Rangers acquire Wellington Castillo

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/10/rangers-acquire-welington-castillo.html

The Rangers have acquired catcher Welington Castillo and international draft bonus pool money from the White Sox in exchange for minor league outfielder and corner infielder Jonah McReynolds, as per Rangers executive VP of communications John Blake (Twitter link).  Texas has also outrighted left-hander Jesse Biddle and outfielder Zack Granite to Triple-A, with Biddle first being reinstated from the 60-day injured list.

Damn, that was quick. 

It'll be curious to see if any sort of trade market develops for Calhoun these next five days. Imagine it's very unlikely but you never know. Both Teheran and Quintana are comparable in salary to Calhoun and have option decisions as well. In theory, both Chicago and Atlanta could use RFs.

10 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Damn, that was quick. 

It'll be curious to see if any sort of trade market develops for Calhoun these next five days. Imagine it's very unlikely but you never know. Both Teheran and Quintana are comparable in salary to Calhoun and have option decisions as well. In theory, both Chicago and Atlanta could use RFs.

Yeah, I could totally see a pitching rich team like the Braves making a move like this since Calhoun is one of the best defensive RF's in the game and he clubbed over 30 HR. 

5 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Yeah, I could totally see a pitching rich team like the Braves making a move like this since Calhoun is one of the best defensive RF's in the game and he clubbed over 30 HR. 

Teheran or Quintana would be a really quick, easy way to address a rotation need. A little expensive, but a really good safety net-type move to take pressure off the desperate need to sign two of the top arms. 

And if things go our way, and said pitcher winds up being our third SP acquisition on the winter, it makes for a really nice, deep rotation without a major commitment as Quintana or Teheran can walk at end of year, or be trade bait midseason if a kid pushes them out.

2 minutes ago, CanadianHalo said:

Markakis for 8 million less >>>>>>>> Calhoun

I don't disagree necessarily, but I think it's not quite as vast as you think. 

2019:

• Markakis: .285/.356/.420/.776, 98 OPS+ with 36 XBH, 47 BB, 59 K in 469 PA, 0.8 bWAR, and at age 35.
  • Calhoun: .232/.325/.467/.792, 108 OPS+ with 63 XBH, 70 BB, 162 K in 632 PA, 2.3 bWAR, and at age 32.

• Markakis: 1.9 HR%, 12.6 SO%, 10 BB%, 7.7 XBH%
  • Calhoun: 5.2 HR%, 25.6 SO%, 11.1 BB%, 10 XBH%
  • Donaldson: 5.6 HR%, 23.5 SO%, 15.2 BB%, 10.6 XBH%

For a team that could lose Josh Donaldson's defense and power, upgrading in RF with a more legit HR threat and plus-plus defense, especially a younger player who still maintains a good walk rate, Calhoun could be a good target for them.

6 minutes ago, totdprods said:

I don't disagree necessarily, but I think it's not quite as vast as you think. 

2019:

• Markakis: .285/.356/.420/.776, 98 OPS+ with 36 XBH, 47 BB, 59 K in 469 PA, 0.8 bWAR, and at age 35.
  • Calhoun: .232/.325/.467/.792, 108 OPS+ with 63 XBH, 70 BB, 162 K in 632 PA, 2.3 bWAR, and at age 32.

• Markakis: 1.9 HR%, 12.6 SO%, 10 BB%, 7.7 XBH%
  • Calhoun: 5.2 HR%, 25.6 SO%, 11.1 BB%, 10 XBH%
  • Donaldson: 5.6 HR%, 23.5 SO%, 15.2 BB%, 10.6 XBH%

For a team that could lose Josh Donaldson's defense and power, upgrading in RF with a more legit HR threat and plus-plus defense, especially a younger player who still maintains a good walk rate, Calhoun could be a good target for them.

Fair enough. 

Do they have the pitching depth to trade Teheran before seeing what Keuchel does?

I’d be all for a Teheran/Calhoun swap. Assuming we then land Cole and one other good pitcher

The Rangers are planning to decline their 2020 club options on newly-acquired catcher Welington Castillo

What???????

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/10/rangers-to-decline-club-options-on-nate-jones-shawn-kelley-welington-castillo.html

ultimately more about the international bonus money that came into the Rangers’ coffers

Edited by True Grich

Just now, CanadianHalo said:

Fair enough. 

Do they have the pitching depth to trade Teheran before seeing what Keuchel does?

I think they’ll need to drop Teheran regardless just to keep payroll malleable enough. They have enough prospect SP depth that they can afford to shop at all levels of the SP FA spectrum, so I don’t think holding onto Teheran for 1/$12m is a must for them. 

And even if they aren’t interested in Calhoun, I could see the Angels being interested in Teheran. Or Quintana from the Cubs. Both very much align with prior Eppler trades for bets on expiring contracts, with the Halos leveraging their pockets rather than prospects to fill a need.

1 hour ago, Chuckster70 said:

The market is limited in RF options but to look at this another way, all teams have to do is gamble that the Angels will buy him out and then pay him less money to sign as a free agent.

All depends on Kole's market of which I am sure Eppler has explored and understands pretty well. I am leaning now more toward the Angels simply buying him out.

"The Athletics made their decisions on two outstanding club options today, announcing that right-hander Yusmeiro Petit‘s club option will be exercised, thus guaranteeing the veteran reliever $5.5MM in 2020.  The A’s will decline their end of a mutual option on southpaw Jake Diekman, paying him a $500K buyout rather than a $5.75MM salary next season."