• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

THE Official 2019-2020 Hot Stove Thread

T.G.

I'd like Ryu to the Angels as a secondary move, sure.  He wouldn't cost a QO pick and has less mileage on his arm than most of his peers due to effectively missing two years.  

Sign Cole to 7/245 and Ryu to 3/50 and backload the deals.  A 3rd starter would be nice, but not needed.  Cole, Ryu, Ohtani, Heaney, Canning, and one of Barria/Suarez/Sandoval should be pretty good.  

55 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

Sign Cole to 7/245 and Ryu to 3/50 and backload the deals.   

Trump just bent S Korea over and increased what they owe us for keeping troops stationed there by like 500 percent. I worry that Ryu will try to recoup some of that money and send it back to Seoul. 

He might cost more than Cole.

Edited by ten ocho recon scout

1 hour ago, Sean-Regan said:

I’d be okay with him if he's our secondary guy. He’s been fragile and I question how repeatable his 2019 season was. But there’s no pick attached, so that makes him worth monitoring if he isn’t asking for something crazy. 

If this is their big move, though, see you next offseason. 

you'll see most of us either way.  

If we sign Wheeler, I'd have to think a big reason why is a really good rapport with Callaway. Competition for him is gonna be nuts, and everyone's going to be offering big money, including the Angels. Callaway may be the best bet we have at tipping the scale.

Wheeler + Cole  would be a pretty great offseason, even if we're left unable to do much more due to the money committed. 

I will say a part of me is a little curious as to how the Angels offseason could shake out if they decided to make Wheeler their top target for the rotation and not Cole, and really spread out the money saved between the two around other club needs.

10 minutes ago, totdprods said:

If we sign Wheeler, I'd have to think a big reason why is a really good rapport with Callaway. Competition for him is gonna be nuts, and everyone's going to be offering big money, including the Angels. Callaway may be the best bet we have at tipping the scale.

Wheeler + Cole  would be a pretty great offseason, even if we're left unable to do much more due to the money committed. 

I will say a part of me is a little curious as to how the Angels offseason could shake out if they decided to make Wheeler their top target for the rotation and not Cole, and really spread out the money saved between the two around other club needs.

If we land Cole + Wheeler and Eppler makes a trade for a legit catcher (not a freaking Max Stassi) or 3B I’ll be happy. I do believe if we land another bat and have Adell force his way in our lineup would be playoff worthy.

If we don’t end up grabbing a 3rd pitcher I hope it’s because Callaway has had a chance to study Canning and the other young guys and has said he can work with them. 

Exactly - 

8 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Exactly - I kind of wondered if we hired Callaway with this in mind?  

This could play out in a number of ways - Boras wants to keep us in play for Cole - even if he doesn't care who ultimately signs him - keeps the bidding going. 

Knowing we're in on Wheeler puts a little pressure on Cole - and Boras - to deal early.  (Boras and Cole may well have somewhat different agendas.)  (assuming he wants to be on the Angels.)

An interesting game - does Eppler leverage that - imply to Cole that it's him *or* Wheeler?  Or does he use that as "look at this team we're building - you want to be part of this" and try to sign both? 

I'm actually warming up to the idea of signing Ryu to a 3 yrs 45-50 mil contract as the 2nd pitcher. It's going to be risk, dude to fact he miss time each year, he's 32 and how will he fair against the Al. But on the other side he has shown to be dominate and is only a 3yr deal.

Anyone know his stats against the Al? thru his career and than the the last 2 years?

1 minute ago, CanadianHalo said:

If we land Cole + Wheeler and Eppler makes a trade for a legit catcher (not a freaking Max Stassi) or 3B I’ll be happy. I do believe if we land another bat and have Adell force his way in our lineup would be playoff worthy.

If we don’t end up grabbing a 3rd pitcher I hope it’s because Callaway has had a chance to study Canning and the other young guys and has said he can work with them. 

I do think Callaway will work wonder's on Canning.... Canning has the stuff to dominate, now it's a matter of him putting it together and finding a mentor, getting Cole in that role would help him future. 

7 minutes ago, CanadianHalo said:

Canning's health concerns last year and pre-draft have my particularly nervous about counting on him in a near full-time rotation role...he'll need to get through at least 2020 (and maybe '21) mostly unscathed for me to feel he'll be a reliable option to count on for the near-future.

Regardless of how the top two arms shake out, I expect/hope for some sort of third addition...it could be a very cheap #5 SP deal or a minor-league deal for a Smyly or Nova or Hellickson or Moore, or a trade/claim for another Dillon Peters/Felix Pena-type. 

9 minutes ago, DCAngelsFan said:

Exactly - 

Exactly - I kind of wondered if we hired Callaway with this in mind?  

This could play out in a number of ways - Boras wants to keep us in play for Cole - even if he doesn't care who ultimately signs him - keeps the bidding going. 

Knowing we're in on Wheeler puts a little pressure on Cole - and Boras - to deal early.  (Boras and Cole may well have somewhat different agendas.)  (assuming he wants to be on the Angels.)

An interesting game - does Eppler leverage that - imply to Cole that it's him *or* Wheeler?  Or does he use that as "look at this team we're building - you want to be part of this" and try to sign both? 

I think ultimately that's the ideal scenario for the Angels and I think you're right on in speculating on that leverage...

For me, I've had a really hard time assuming the Angels would land Wheeler, due to Eppler's tendency to refuse to overpay and the sheer volume of teams chasing him. I absolutely think it's the right path though - sign Wheeler ASAP and let the rest of the SP market, including Cole, play out.

27 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Regardless of how the top two arms shake out, I expect/hope for some sort of third addition...it could be a very cheap #5 SP deal or a minor-league deal for a Smyly or Nova or Hellickson or Moore, or a trade/claim for another Dillon Peters/Felix Pena-type. 

So do I and like you, I’ve said so since day 1. I think it’s a must for us to add a 3rd. I still think Teheran would be a great 3rd get. However I realize he’s probably going to get 10-12 mill/year which if we do spend on Wheeler + Cole then there isn’t the funds leftover for Teheran.