• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

THE Official 2019-2020 Hot Stove Thread

T.G.

5 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Ok, one is going to get 3 years and $45 million the other seems destined for 5 years and $110 million.  There are a lot more teams looking to spend $45 million than there are teams looking to spend $100 plus million.

I honestly think I’d rather have Keuchel at 3/45 than Wheeler at 5/110.

1 minute ago, jsnpritchett said:

manjit minhas no GIF by CBC

While I don’t really agree I understand why he says this.  In the last two years (Wheeler’s healthy years) he has an ERA+ of 107, and Keuchel is at 115.  They both pitch deep into games.  One does it with stuff the other does it with moxie, I guess.  

Wheeler will be 29 when the 2020 season starts, has pitched 749 innings in the majors (injuries played a part) and a guy some are buying off on as continuing to improve and pitch like a #1-2.  Keuchel turns 32 in just over a month, has pitched 1,302 innings in the majors and the last two years his ERA/whip have gone up.  He's an innings eater and at 3/45 I think most of us would take him on the Angels if he's one piece to the puzzle while they also get one of Cole/Strasburg/Wheeler.  I'm thinking Wheeler is getting a lot of mention because he's somewhat in that upper tier, will cost less and could be a guy some team locks up sooner rather than later while the rest are waiting on Cole/Strasburg.  Any team that makes a move like that doesn't run the risk of waiting out Cole/Strasburg and missing out on lesser FA's.  

2 minutes ago, RBM said:

The run up for Wheeler is disconcerting. He was projected at 4/68-72 and now it's looking like he'll 5/110 or more. It feels like an overpay.

It's at the point where I don't think the Angels can also sign Cole for 7/245 or more.

If the price is 5 / 110M it won’t be the Angels paying it. Arte is going to try to stay at a certain budget with the hopes that they can sign Cole at a reasonable price and roll with Maddon’s ability to get more out of the players than Ausmus did. 

49 minutes ago, Calzone 2 said:

Arte is going to try to stay at a certain budget with the hopes that they can sign Cole at a reasonable price and roll with Maddon’s ability to get more out of the players than Ausmus did. 

Signing Cole will likely hit a 7 to 8 year contract and Art/Eppler know this.  They aren't bargain hunting Gerrit Cole when 75% of baseball is in on him.

This is jut a silly line thinking.

27 minutes ago, mulwin444 said:

Signing Cole will likely hit a 7 to 8 year contract and Art/Eppler know this.  They aren't bargain hunting Gerrit Cole when 75% of baseball is in on him.

Being reasonable means you end up in third place on every free agent you pursue. Arte and Eppler need to think desperately because they are in a desperate situation. If they approach their pitching need rationally, this season will be garbage. 

16 minutes ago, floplag said:

Why not both?    Plus Cole.  Then trade for a solid catching solution and extend Simmons.  off season done 🙂
Just kidding.   Mostly.  Kinda,   Maybe not IDK

Yeah I really want 3 pitchers but apparently that’s not happening. 

Even Cole, Keuchel and Teheran would be good imo

8 minutes ago, CanadianHalo said:

That’d be a good trio. I think three SPs is still feasible and almost likely to happen - it’s just not going to be three ‘name’ SPs.

Gio and Miley have been good FAs signed for barely nothing recently, and Dillon Peters and Felix Pena also acquired for basically nothing, both of whom being two capable SPs last year in limited time. I imagine we’ll see an interesting low-cost third viable SP brought in still.

1 hour ago, mulwin444 said:

So if we miss out on Cole, Wheeler and Strasburg will you throw Arte under the bus and stop watching Angels games? I doubt it. 

It’s his team, his budget and his financial decisions to make. If Cole or any other free agent is asking for some unreasonable contract then I wouldn’t blame Arte for saying no just because someone else said yes. 

Edited by Calzone 2

14 minutes ago, CanadianHalo said:

Kuechel isnt in my top 3, but i would be fine with it if its in the package for Cole and maybe saves us a little
My personal preference if were going three pitchers assuming one from tier 1,2,3 is Cole, Wheeler, Teheran.  Hes a bit younger than Kuechel and looks a bit more durable. 
That having been said im still in the 2 pitchers one bat camp. 

3 minutes ago, totdprods said:

That’d be a good trio. I think three SPs is still feasible and almost likely to happen - it’s just not going to be three ‘name’ SPs.

Gio and Miley have been good FAs signed for barely nothing recently, and Dillon Peters and Felix Pena also acquired for basically nothing, both of whom being two capable SPs last year in limited time. I imagine we’ll see an interesting low-cost third viable SP brought in still.

That makes no sense. At all. 

2 hours ago, True Grich said:

The Angels just have to do a better job of drafting pitchers and signing international pitching talent.  I have no idea how they do that - but they need to figure it out.

This

Other teams manage to find pitchers and develop them.   Who was the most recent pitcher to come up in the org, and succeed for several years at the MLB level?   Weave? 

Edited by Angel Oracle

6 hours ago, jsnpritchett said:

I think Keuchel probably has more question marks than Wheeler, despite Wheeler's injury history.  I don't think anyone is champing at the bit to be the dude who gives a 3-4-year deal to Keuchel, who seems like he could just fall off the cliff at any point.

i really hope the angels do NOT sign keuchel. if wheeler's price escalates and starts to interfere with cole's numbers, then i'd be all for signing madbum and cole. personally, i don't think the angels are getting two 1A pitchers anyways. i think they're looking at one front line starter and then a guy.

27 minutes ago, Calzone 2 said:

So if we miss out on Cole, Wheeler and Strasburg will you throw Arte under the bus and stop watching Angels games? I doubt it. 

What the fuck are you even talking about and how does that have anything to do with what I posted?

Arte and Eppler aren't sitting on their hands waiting for Cole to fall to them and they certainly aren't laboring under the delusion they'll get him at a discount.  If we miss out on Cole, it's because some team added a 9th year...you good with that?  I'd be good with them passing but I can see them pushing the competition to 8 if it required it. You wan't Wheeler for 6 or 7 years if competition is that fierce?  It would give me pause.  Also, I highly doubt we're in on Strasburg due to his age and durability.  Context is important so if you are not willing employ some nuance expect some feedback.  These also aren't the only three pitchers out there, free agency is not the only way to improve the team, and I'm going to give it longer than Thanksgiving to let my butt pucker about their 2020 season.

35 minutes ago, totdprods said:

??

1) We aren’t getting 3 starters. We already have Ohtani, Heaney, and Canning. They’re not dumping Canning to SLC for another Cahill type. Eppler already said they’re looking for 2. 

2) Getting 3 ‘good’ pitchers instead of 2 ‘very good’ pitchers is the same idea that Eppler tried this last offseason with disastrous results. We already have too many #5-6 types. What we need are front of the rotation types because Ohtani won’t be durable enough to be that guy this season. I’d rather get Cole only and roll the dice on the fifth spot than two okay pitchers.

Quantity over quality is a horrible team building idea and is likely to end worse than spending stupid money on Cole. 

3 hours ago, True Grich said:

The Angels just have to do a better job of drafting pitchers and signing international pitching talent.  I have no idea how they do that - but they need to figure it out.

Yep. Off the top of my head, the last success story I can think of pitching wise is weaver/santana?

Skaggs I guess (feels different because we traded him before he hit MLB). Clevinger would have been. But pretty barren. 

2 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Yep. Off the top of my head, the last success story I can think of pitching wise is weaver/santana?

Skaggs I guess (feels different because we traded him before he hit MLB). Clevinger would have been. But pretty barren. 

Joe Saunders was somewhat decent (at times). 

Edited by True Grich