• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

THE Official 2019-2020 Hot Stove Thread

T.G.

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

right, we need guys that can give us innings at the back end of the rotation.  He can do that.  

At closer to a 5.00 ERA than a 4.00. I don't think we should burn a good prospect on the chance of him improving. I might be overhauling our prospects.

1 hour ago, totdprods said:

Good teams acquire projects. 

Eppler has been good ad doing that for the pen. Not as much for starters. Bundy is Heaney and we already have Heaney.

11 minutes ago, Glen said:

At closer to a 5.00 ERA than a 4.00. I don't think we should burn a good prospect on the chance of him improving. I might be overhauling our prospects.

Eppler has been good ad doing that for the pen. Not as much for starters. Bundy is Heaney and we already have Heaney.

We also have about three holes in the rotation and a bunch of kids who shouldn’t even be in the bigs yet with a collective ERA around 6. Two Heaneys would be better than one, based on how things currently stand. 

And I was wrong on the ERA - Bundy’s ERA against our AL West competition isn’t closer to 4 - nor is it closer to 5. It’s actually 2.97.

Bundy vs. the AL West, excluding the Angels, who have rocked him: 

• 20 GS/13 G, 108.1 IP, 100 hits, 26 BB, 119 K, and a 2.97 ERA.
Edited by totdprods

1 minute ago, Stradling said:

Depends on the prospects.  Would a guy like Rojas have a spot on their 40 man roster?  

Can they add Rojas to their 40-man after that deadline passed?

Thaiss for Bundy actually isn’t the worst. Replacing someone like Thaiss annually via FA shouldn’t be too difficult if it came to that. Not sure Baltimore has a need with Mountcastle though. 

17 minutes ago, totdprods said:

We also have about three holes in the rotation and a bunch of kids who shouldn’t even be in the bigs yet with a collective ERA around 6. Two Heaneys would be better than one, based on how things currently stand. 

And I was wrong on the ERA - Bundy’s ERA against our AL West competition isn’t closer to 4 - nor is it closer to 5. It’s actually 2.97.

Bundy vs. the AL West, excluding the Angels, who have rocked him: 

• 20 GS/13 G, 108.1 IP, 100 hits, 26 BB, 119 K, and a 2.97 ERA.

Yeah, he makes for a decent target. But if reports are accurate that teams are offering multiple prospects for him then I'd say pass. The Angels already have a ton of back end starters in Heaney, Canning, Sandoval, Barria and Suarez. 

This team needs upside.

That's probably why Eppler has been as quiet as he has. He's got his eyes on Cole, Strasburg, Wheeler and Ryu. The actual mid or front of the rotation starters on the market.

1 minute ago, Second Base said:

Yeah, he makes for a decent target. But if reports are accurate that teams are offering multiple prospects for him then I'd say pass. The Angels already have a ton of back end starters in Heaney, Canning, Sandoval, Barria and Suarez. 

This team needs upside.

That's probably why Eppler has been as quiet as he has. He's got his eyes on Cole, Strasburg, Wheeler and Ryu. The actual mid or front of the rotation starters on the market.

I’d think there’d be a chance one of those SPs could go back too. I can’t imagine his cost will be that high. At most, two of anyone named Thaiss, Ward, Jones, Walsh, Rengifo, Suarez, or Barria would be what I’d expect - and that’s at most. Lots of lower-level guys would be fairly easy to part with here. 

53 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

MLBTR predicted 2/16. They're topically pretty accurate when it comes to relievers. They predicted Will Smith getting 3/42 and he got 3/40. 

Pomeranz literally doubled what was expected. There's no denying he is good. But a 4 year contract for a reliever with limited experience in that role is a huge risk. 

3 minutes ago, totdprods said:

I’d think there’d be a chance one of those SPs could go back too. I can’t imagine his cost will be that high. At most, two of anyone named Thaiss, Ward, Jones, Walsh, Rengifo, Suarez, or Barria would be what I’d expect - and that’s at most. Lots of lower-level guys would be fairly easy to part with here. 

Differences in evaluation, but I would not trade Thaiss for Bundy straight up, let alone include Suarez or Barria.

9 minutes ago, Second Base said:

Differences in evaluation, but I would not trade Thaiss for Bundy straight up, let alone include Suarez or Barria.

In a vacuum I wouldn’t either, but I believe this offseason does have a different sense of urgency to it - maybe not as extreme as Eppler’s job being on the line - but I think a difficult trade to accept will take place. Ever since Odorizzi took that QO, Eppler’s plans for the second arm behind a presumed Cole or Strasburg have been complicated. I don’t think Bundy is that second arm. I think he’s simply some insurance to give him flexibility on how that second arm market plays out. 

I think Cole is pretty much a shoe-in, but landing one of Wheeler, Ryu, Bumgarner, even Hamels, and the second-tier trade market are looking real competitive. By securing someone like Bundy, he won’t have to be in a position where he HAS to overpay via trade or FA for Wheeler, etc., and can rather wait that market out a bit (again, assuming they get Cole) and strike when they get a fair deal. Maybe it helps the Angels keep Marsh. And Angels maybe wind up with three arms after all. Or maybe they are left with Cole and Bundy, but have money to throw at pen, catcher, infield. Essentially it just gives him a lot more flexibility in determining how he proceeds this offseason. 

Edited by totdprods