• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

THE Official 2019-2020 Hot Stove Thread

T.G.

9 minutes ago, floplag said:

OK, and i would be fine with that but thats not what i asked.
If we had him now, no Cole, no Wheeler, no Teheran... now, with who we have, where would you slot him?  Sounds to me like you would put him maybe 3 behind Heaney and Ohtani or?  Thats where i would put him which is to say if the plan comes to fruition were trading for what should be a 4 or 5 when all is said and done?  
How much would you pay for that?  For me, not too much when any of the kids can probably put up comparable numbers.
Thats all im saying, im ok with it i just would not by any means over pay and the deal should favor us if we made it.

Well if I had to pencil him into the rotation right now I wouldn't acquire him.  Because if I went into a season where he was my only pitcher acquisition I would go a different direction.  

2 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Well if I had to pencil him into the rotation right now I wouldn't acquire him.  Because if I went into a season where he was my only pitcher acquisition I would go a different direction.  

i agree on that as well, but stop avoiding the question 🙂  
It goes to what hes worth, you made a comment about people losing their heads... if we traded Marsh for him your darned right we would... if we traded almost anyone in the top 5-10 i might.  i just dont see a 4 or 5 as being worth that for paying 6+ M in arb. 
IF it would be had for someone below that level that isnt in much of our talks... fine, head intact 🙂

12 minutes ago, angelsnationtalk said:

If he slotted in right now with who we have he'd be a #4. I'd go Ohtani, Heaney, Canning, Bundy.
It all depends what the Orioles need in return. I'd be willing to part with Jones and something less for Bundy, but I also think he only fits with the Angels if they go with a 6-man rotation.
Cole, Wheeler, Ohtani, Heaney, Canning, Bundy. That leaves the Angels major depth options like Sandoval, Suarez, Barria, Peters.

Well we will go with a 6 i think.  Ohtani on Sunday and everyone else falls in around that.  Especially this year with him coming back to full time pitching, to do anything else is foolish.  
I dont part with anyone on the level of Jones or Adams for this, lower fine, but anything more than they for a 4 or 5 thats gonna cost 6M plus is a waste, we could get his numbers from any of the depth guys for less than 1/10th that cost.

Bundy also has been totally torched by AL East teams in his career, and I think his AL West numbers come out to a 3.80 ERA over a good 20-30 GS if I’m remembering. He needs a change of scenery, and he’s started adjusting from being a thrower to a pitcher as his velocity has diminished. If he pitches to career norms, he’s still a useful, cheap #4-5, something which we still struggle to find, assuming the prospect cost isn’t too great. His upside could still turn into an good #3. Trade for him, sign Cole, and then you can be a little more choosy with how you spend your remaining money...another arm, a bat, bullpen help, etc.

1 minute ago, totdprods said:

Bundy also has been totally torched by AL East teams in his career, and I think his AL West numbers come out to a 3.80 ERA over a good 20-30 GS if I’m remembering. He needs a change of scenery, and he’s started adjusting from being a thrower to a pitcher as his velocity has diminished. If he pitches to career norms, he’s still a useful, cheap #4-5, something which we still struggle to find, assuming the prospect cost isn’t too great. His upside could still turn into an good #3. Trade for him, sign Cole, and then you can be a little more choosy with how you spend your remaining money...another arm, a bat, bullpen help, etc.

Bundy and Cole won't cut it. Need a Wheeler/Bumgarner/Ryu to even start a discussion about playoffs. 
I'm happy with trading for Bundy (if it's a low prospect), as long as that doesn't impact our pursuit of Cole and Wheeler at all.

8 minutes ago, floplag said:

i agree on that as well, but stop avoiding the question 🙂  
It goes to what hes worth, you made a comment about people losing their heads... if we traded Marsh for him your darned right we would... if we traded almost anyone in the top 5-10 i might.  i just dont see a 4 or 5 as being worth that for paying 6+ M in arb. 
IF it would be had for someone below that level that isnt in much of our talks... fine, head intact 🙂

People on Twitter, people on FB, and some people on here would lose their shit if he was the first acquisition because he isn't "The Answer".  People want things done in order of importance despite the fact that opportunities to build your team don't come linear like that.  We will probably have to give up a 5-10 prospect for a 27 year old starter with 2 years of control that gives you 160 plus innings and strikes out a batter an inning.  

47 minutes ago, Stradling said:

160-170 innings, mid 4 ERA.  Former top prospect.  27 years old.  Back end of the rotation that can pitch innings.  Plus I can't imagine the acquisition cost would be that high.  

Yep. I'd love to land Bundy. I'd move just about any prospect(s) in the system for him outside our top 7 or so guys.

1 minute ago, angelsnationtalk said:

Bundy and Cole won't cut it. Need a Wheeler/Bumgarner/Ryu to even start a discussion about playoffs. 
I'm happy with trading for Bundy (if it's a low prospect), as long as that doesn't impact our pursuit of Cole and Wheeler at all.

Didn’t say it would - said it was a start, allowing the Angels to then be a little more choosy with how they proceed. It just gives them some leverage and flexibility. They don’t *have* to overpay for Wheeler/Ryu/Bumgarner if they have a little more rotation insurance in Bundy...they can explore other alternatives, such as spreading the Wheeler money across something like Keuchel and Castro, or Moustakas and Wacha, etc. etc., nor does it take them out of Ryu/Wheeler/Bumgarner/Hamels. Just let’s them be a little more methodical there.

9 minutes ago, Stradling said:

People on Twitter, people on FB, and some people on here would lose their shit if he was the first acquisition because he isn't "The Answer".  People want things done in order of importance despite the fact that opportunities to build your team don't come linear like that.  We will probably have to give up a 5-10 prospect for a 27 year old starter with 2 years of control that gives you 160 plus innings and strikes out a batter an inning.  

In that sense, you are correct of course.  And if thats what it cost i would be fine with it. 

1 minute ago, Second Base said:

Even if you aren't a fan of Thaiss, your still need a left handed platoon component at 1B, which wouldn't be difficult to find I suppose.

Thaiss is still too much to pay. I'd sooner pay Ward and Rojas.

I like Thaiss more than most, but once again it shouldn't be hard to fill that role with Walsh and if you are solidifying the back of the rotation for a couple of years, I'd do it.  

3 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I like Thaiss more than most, but once again it shouldn't be hard to fill that role with Walsh and if you are solidifying the back of the rotation for a couple of years, I'd do it.  

I think Thaiss grows into a starting role though, which a platoon with Pujols as well as injury fill in at 3B allows him ample opportunity to grow into. The power just developed last year, and now this year and next you'll see him incorporate his BA and OBP into it and become a more complete player. In a basic sense, there's some projection left.

Whereas Walsh's big adjustment already came in the last two years and I think what you see is what you get at this point. His bat and his arm both seem like they may be AAAA level.

Now I understand you have to give up talent to get it. But I think I'd rather focus on guys at lower levels to acquire Bundy if that was the case.

Still, I think the Mariners are getting him.