• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Official 2021 Trade Deadline Discussion Thread

9 minutes ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

THere's more of a pitcher's market forming, than a hitter market. A lot of teams needed pitching, price's are going to be high. 

The Angels need the ShamWow dude to help sell some of the available "pitching" currently in stock.

My perdictions:

Ward and Heaney get traded.

Ward for controllable BP arm

Heaney for a prospect.Gets replaced by Detmers.

Surpise trades;

Adell+ jackson+ more for a TOR arm

Cobb I think there is a 50/50 chance he get traded, and of so it's for a top 100 prospect. I think he stays 

Perry adds a few more rental arms to the BP.

What starting pitcher would we be happy including Adell in a package to acquire?  Shane Bieber?  Sandy Alcantara?  It would have to be someone that has front of rotation upside and under control.  Resign Cobb, too.

A Ohtani, Alcantara, Detmers, CROD, Sandoval, Cobb, Barria, Suarez rotation looks pretty good.

With the reports of the #Angels in a tough spot and not sure what direction to take in terms of being buyers or sellers I become more increasingly worried. 

I think it's very clear that the Angels are not in a good position to make a playoff push. They are 26-41 against teams over .500 and are still not sure when Trout will return.

With Trout and Rendon out and Upton 1 for his last 15, it should be very clear with what direction the Angels should take. And I haven't even mentioned the bullpen.

Hopefully Cobb, Heaney, Mayers and (R) Iglesias and maybe others are on the trading block. If they are, they can hopefully net us some bullpen arms that can make an impact for the 2022 season. 

Call up Detmers, Rodriguez and Adell and let these kids soak it in for a month. Then come back in 2022 with a healthy team and compete with financial flexibility. 

I think Rosenthal's tweet is pretty apt. They'll trade Cobb and Heaney and hold onto Raisel unless someone makes Perry and offer he can't refuse, which is very possible. I could also see Jose Iglesias, Ward, and some of the relievers moved.

I also wouldn't be surprised if we see an Adell+ package for Marquez or someone similar.

If we want to sell all expiring contracts with value (Cobb, Iglesiasx2, Heaney, Watson). for the future and buy a long term pitcher I’d be good with that.  Short term we could stay competitive with the loss of Heaney and Cobb, the one that really hurts is Raisel,.  If they continue to play well and inch closer to contention you could put CRod at closer. 

one of the wild card spots is already done.  Tampa or Boston is gonna take that without a problem.  We're over 10 games back of those two.  We have no shot to win the division.  

we'd have to pass 5 teams to get to the second wild card.  One of which is in our division who we're 3-9 against in OAK.  We're 5-8 vs. seattle.  And we're 3-6 vs. Houston.  That's a We're 25-41 vs. teams over .500.  We play 44 of our last 64 games vs. teams over .500. 

Let's go at this a different way.   They're gonna need 90 wins to get the second wild card.  Which means they have to go 41-23 for the rest of the season just to have a shot.  Which is a .640 winning pct.  And that still guarantees them nothing.  Oakland or one of the other 5 teams ahead of them could go on a run and end up with 93-94 wins.  

The math just isn't there.  They need to sell off their expiring part and only consider if said player can make a difference for the next few years.  Anything close to buying a rental would be utterly stupid.   

11 minutes ago, Stradling said:

If we want to sell all expiring contracts with value (Cobb, Iglesiasx2, Heaney, Watson). for the future and buy a long term pitcher I’d be good with that.  Short term we could stay competitive with the loss of Heaney and Cobb, the one that really hurts is Raisel,.  If they continue to play well and inch closer to contention you could put CRod at closer. 

I don't want to mess with CRod. He's adapting his approach to starting, and to put him back as a reliever--let alone closer--might be detrimental.

But I agree, which goes back to Rosenthal's comment. Swapping Cobb/Heaney for Detmers/CRod is less of a short-term loss than losing Raisel would be. But Raisel is also more likely to bring in a really good prospect.

5 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

I don't want to mess with CRod. He's adapting his approach to starting, and to put him back as a reliever--let alone closer--might be detrimental.

But I agree, which goes back to Rosenthal's comment. Swapping Cobb/Heaney for Detmers/CRod is less of a short-term loss than losing Raisel would be. But Raisel is also more likely to bring in a really good prospect.

Yes, agreed--which is why I personally think they should absolutely trade Raisel, unless they're able to work out some sort of reasonably friendly extension in the next couple days.  He's absolutely the most likely expiring contract to bring back someone pretty good.

I don’t have a specific team or contract in mind, but the Angels could acquire an expensive but expiring contract for a bad player from a contending team that is looking for some financial room to acquire an impact player at the deadline.

You take the bad contract that expires this year in exchange for also receiving a decent minor leaguer.

You are basically purchasing a prospect, and the financial obligation expires so it doesn’t clog next year’s salary budget.

4 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

I don’t have a specific team or contract in mind, but the Angels could acquire an expensive but expiring contract for a bad player from a contending team that is looking for some financial room to acquire an impact player at the deadline.

You take the bad contract that expires this year in exchange for also receiving a decent minor leaguer.

You are basically purchasing a prospect, and the financial obligation expires so it doesn’t clog next year’s salary budget.

I’d think the only way a team unloads a quality prospect with an expensive contract player is if that expensive contract continues into next year.  Why would a team move a minor leaguer to save two months of salary?

2 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I’d think the only way a team unloads a quality prospect with an expensive contract player is if that expensive contract continues into next year.  Why would a team move a minor leaguer to save two months of salary?

Why would they do it?  To have the ability to acquire an impact player that has a high salary without going over the lux tax.

And yes the quality of the prospect matches the burden, yes.

Both sides make that determination what is equitable in the negotiation.

Edited by Dtwncbad

37 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

one of the wild card spots is already done.  Tampa or Boston is gonna take that without a problem.  We're over 10 games back of those two.  We have no shot to win the division.  

we'd have to pass 5 teams to get to the second wild card.  One of which is in our division who we're 3-9 against in OAK.  We're 5-8 vs. seattle.  And we're 3-6 vs. Houston.  That's a We're 25-41 vs. teams over .500.  We play 44 of our last 64 games vs. teams over .500. 

Let's go at this a different way.   They're gonna need 90 wins to get the second wild card.  Which means they have to go 41-23 for the rest of the season just to have a shot.  Which is a .640 winning pct.  And that still guarantees them nothing.  Oakland or one of the other 5 teams ahead of them could go on a run and end up with 93-94 wins.  

The math just isn't there.  They need to sell off their expiring part and only consider if said player can make a difference for the next few years.  Anything close to buying a rental would be utterly stupid.   

Stop making sense.

1 minute ago, Dtwncbad said:

The quality of the prospect matches the burden, yes.

Both sides make that determination what is equitable in the negotiation.

I can’t remember a time that this has happened. I get what you are saying but it doesn’t happen. 

Just now, Stradling said:

I can’t remember a time that this has happened. I get what you are saying but it doesn’t happen. 

Well the Angels dumped Cozart by giving up minor leaguer Wilson.

Yes that Cozart obligation was more than 2 months so not exactly what I am saying here but the concept does make sense.

I would have to do more homework to suggest an example but how about the hypothetical that a contending team tight their budget wants Scherzer and can’t afford him unless they move some money.

They could work it out with the Nats but if the pieces don’t match up, they could look to another team to move some money in exchange for a prospect.