• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Official 2021 Trade Deadline Discussion Thread

17 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Eppler was pretty careful, didn’t make any big, risky moves…..traded for Simmons right away but then did a lot of short term deals, particularly pitchers…..I guess trading for Upton was a big thing but it didn’t cost much in prospects…..signing Rendon was Arte all the way….Minasian might be different, willing to trade Adell or something major….

6 minutes ago, DMVol said:

Eppler was pretty careful, didn’t make any big, risky moves…..traded for Simmons right away but then did a lot of short term deals, particularly pitchers…..I guess trading for Upton was a big thing but it didn’t cost much in prospects…..signing Rendon was Arte all the way….Minasian might be different, willing to trade Adell or something major….

This is what stands out to me most about Eppler’s tenure. He basically never touched the farm. Newcomb was literally about the only guy he ever parted with of any measurable value until he moved Bradish and Mattson for Bundy. 

To be in the Angels position and not get anxious and deal even a couple guys from a rebuilding farm took some incredible patience, especially as his job became increasingly shaky. It’s going to have made a huge difference for the Angels and Minasian going forward.

1 minute ago, totdprods said:

This is what stands out to me most about Eppler’s tenure. He basically never touched the farm. Newcomb was literally about the only guy he ever parted with of any measurable value until he moved Bradish and Mattson for Bundy. 

To be in the Angels position and not get anxious and deal even a couple guys from a rebuilding farm took some incredible patience, especially as his job became increasingly shaky. It’s going to have made a huge difference for the Angels and Minasian going forward.

And Eppler got fired…..Minasian may think he’s on the same path, mediocre or a little worse, unless he takes some chances……

Just now, DMVol said:

And Eppler got fired…..Minasian may think he’s on the same path, mediocre or a little worse, unless he takes some chances……

Or he knows he has a 4 year deal and can take a year or two and assess his system and wait for players gain max value before moving them. 

1 minute ago, Stradling said:

Or he knows he has a 4 year deal and can take a year or two and assess his system and wait for players gain max value before moving them. 

I kinda get the vibe he’s gonna have a fair amount of pressure to open a window here very shortly. 

1 minute ago, Dochalo said:

I kinda get the vibe he’s gonna have a fair amount of pressure to open a window here very shortly. 

Probably, but I think it’s more about making a move or two early to acquire prospects to replace the prospects he will move to acquire ready talent. 

3 minutes ago, Stradling said:

True….but if the right deal is there now, maybe you pull the trigger and set the tone…..you get in to the second half of the 4 year deal, you’re a little more under the gun….

6 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Probably, but I think it’s more about making a move or two early to acquire prospects to replace the prospects he will move to acquire ready talent. 

I hope that’s the case if he’s gonna buy. And not just get some shitty AAA arm out of our expiring players just because they’re ready now. We have to stop with the Alex Meyer type deals. 

2 minutes ago, Angels Fan Forever said:

I think we may be playing our way into another hold situation. Not buyers. Not sellers.

5.5 back with the win today.

Yankees, Rays, Blue Jays and A's all lost.

Prediction: Angels will win 2 out of 3 against or sweep the Rockies, close to within 4/4.5, make some low-level buys--and then about 3 weeks later, be about 7 games back.

Just now, Angels_Make_Me_Drink said:

Its like you're an Angels' fan and have seen this story layout before lol 

You’d have to think an exec in another MLB front office would’ve been watching this play out year after year in Anaheim and be dying for a chance to do something differently…

3 hours ago, Blarg said:

I'm not sure that is the basis for a plus value trade if today is more if an indication of what Barria can do. 

I'm fully aware this was against the Twins, a sub 500 team with not many hitters in their lineup but notching his fastball up to 95 and having a out pitch in a changeup or curve makes me wonder, is there a better arm available with cost control out there?

One thing the Angels still have to do is tap into cheap pitching. Barria, Sandoval, Suarez, C-Rod, even Detmiers, these are all arms needed to keep cost under control because Ohtani is going to get a larger piece of the payroll pie very soon. 

Trading for better than Barria means shelling out a lot of propect value and probably eating a much larger salary. I have to wonder if the payoff is there. 

Barria showed three solid pitches today.

Threw the 93-95mph four seamer throughout.

His other pitch the first 2 innings was mainly the slider, and then switched to more change ups than sliders as the game progressed.

Three pitches and controlled for a few more years = keep in this rotation and not somebody else’s.

8 minutes ago, greginpsca said:

Yep. Once they play against teams in their division again, they will go into lose mode. 

25-40 against over .500 teams

24-9 against over .500 teams

Most of that disparity due to mostly crappy bullpen?

2/3 of their remaining games are against over .500 teams.

Not an encouraging thing 

Edited by Angel Oracle

2 hours ago, wopphil said:

This would be awesome, but no way the Reds do this. Castillo has rebounded nicely from his bad start. I think it would take a lot more to acquire him (though I doubt he is even on the block). 

I’m not sure that the Halos truly need Castillo, if the starting pitching continues to progress and they re-sign the positive influence Cobb.

Save the prospects, and focus on mainly relief pitching and a second catcher.

1 hour ago, DMVol said:

I've been saying all along something big is coming.

Here's the thing. It is very rare that a deadline deal is a difference maker in whether a team makes the postseason or not. Most buyers are contending clubs wanting to address a weakness or just bolster the team. It is rare that a fringe contender like the Angels signs a guy, and that guy makes the difference.

In other words, the Angels need to be good enough with what they have - meaning, they need to play better than how they've been playing, which is basically .500 for the last month and a half (since June 12). Does Perry think that the team is going to make a rush? That a player or two will make all the difference? 

Really, the player that can make the most difference is Mike Trout. And, secondarily, Anthony Rendon. Coming into the season, they were our two big superstars and both have contributed very little...3.1 fWAR. If they had been healthy and performed well, they would be at a cumulative 8-10 WAR by now. Meaning, a healthy Trout and Rendon adds 5-7 wins to this team, which would be 54-44 or better.

The point being, even if Minasian is confident that Trout and Rendon will be back soon, I don't see him making a big splash for a rental, that any deal he makes will be about improving the club beyond the next 60+ games.

Edited by Angelsjunky