• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Official 2021 Trade Deadline Discussion Thread

Mayer was the #3 overall pick in 2020 for a reason.

ERA in college was low 2.00’s, WHIP under 1.00, and Ks/BBs ratio just over 4/1.

Naturally, the jump from college straight to AA possibly affected his control (almost 4 per 9 innings after just 2.5 per 9 innings in college).

I wonder if the Marlins held out for a 2nd prospect from the Halos?

Edited by Angel Oracle

I'm not convinced about moving from our OF depth right now.  I think we're gonna need to see some stuff shake out first.  

Upton is declining and while he's held his own next year he seems a candidate for the DL at least a couple times a year.  

Trout can't stay healthy.  

Marsh is cutting his teeth

Adell is hitting 900ft hrs in AAA but he's gonna need a transition period in mlb.  probably even longer than Marsh.  And then what?  While those guys get acclimated do we go with the Adam Eatons or Scott Scheblers of the world or worse yet, do we watch Maddon park guys like Gosselin, Rojas and Rengifo out there.  Maybe Ward ends up an avg fill in for awhile but I see him as more of a platoon guy really.   

Because after Adell and Marsh what do we got that's coming any time soon?  Adams has come on of late but frankly, still pretty much struggling in high A because he can't make contact.  I know the world has changed, but it used to be that one of the best predictors of future success for a prospect is batting average.  Not saying he won't figure it out soon but we're not seeing him any time soon.  

I actually think we need every bit of Marsh and Adell right now for the next three years as much as or even more than we're gonna need pitching.  

2 hours ago, Stradling said:

Take this for what it’s worth:

Eesh. Sucks for Marsh.... knowing now you were just being showcased.

Kind of a head scratcher that this deal couldnt get done in time. Neither make any money yet.... what could the hiccup be?

At any rate, this is the kind of deal thats more in the offseason anyway. Neither team is winning this year, so no rush at the deadline.

52 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

I'm not convinced about moving from our OF depth right now.  I think we're gonna need to see some stuff shake out first.  

Upton is declining and while he's held his own next year he seems a candidate for the DL at least a couple times a year.  

Trout can't stay healthy.  

Marsh is cutting his teeth

Adell is hitting 900ft hrs in AAA but he's gonna need a transition period in mlb.  probably even longer than Marsh.  And then what?  While those guys get acclimated do we go with the Adam Eatons or Scott Scheblers of the world or worse yet, do we watch Maddon park guys like Gosselin, Rojas and Rengifo out there.  Maybe Ward ends up an avg fill in for awhile but I see him as more of a platoon guy really.   

Because after Adell and Marsh what do we got that's coming any time soon?  Adams has come on of late but frankly, still pretty much struggling in high A because he can't make contact.  I know the world has changed, but it used to be that one of the best predictors of future success for a prospect is batting average.  Not saying he won't figure it out soon but we're not seeing him any time soon.  

I actually think we need every bit of Marsh and Adell right now for the next three years as much as or even more than we're gonna need pitching.  

While I agree with most of that, corner OF are a dime a dozen. I think next year you see a rotation of ward/adell in RF and when upton gets hurt that combo will be used along with another random cheap FA. If trout really is moved to RF, lagares/adell can play cf. 

pitching, pitching and more pitching is what this team needs. For better or worse the offense is tied to trout/rendon/ohtani/fletch and that’s ok. When healthy this offense is elite. 

Would love a Marsh for Meyers deal. As I’ve been pointing out the last few days, the Angels and Marlins line up perfectly for a trade. 

I hope Minasian told Kim Ng that he likes the idea but just wants more time to negotiate for the off-season rather than being rushed because of the deadline. 

If a deal like this gets done in the off-season then I’ll turn my opinion on how the Angels handled the deadline. 

The Angels would look pretty damn good with starting pitching if this is done this winter and their rotation would be young and wouldn’t cost much. 

8 minutes ago, angelsnationtalk said:

Would love a Marsh for Meyers deal. As I’ve been pointing out the last few days, the Angels and Marlins line up perfectly for a trade. 

I hope Minasian told Kim Ng that he likes the idea but just wants more time to negotiate for the off-season rather than being rushed because of the deadline. 

If a deal like this gets done in the off-season then I’ll turn my opinion on how the Angels handled the deadline. 

The Angels would look pretty damn good with starting pitching if this is done this winter and their rotation would be young and wouldn’t cost much. 

I completely agree. Having a pool of 4-5 solid pitching prospects is a solid foundation 

23 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

"Long-term" scares me a little bit, given that he'll be 34 before next season.  Since this year has been SO much better than his last few, I'm still pretty cautious with him.  A 2-year deal at a moderate price, fine.  3-4 years at $15M or something?  Pass.

2 years max for sure.  

27 minutes ago, mmc said:

Here’s the actual source and article where this is discussed further.  Apparently we were the ones that backed out

Sounds like Arte was the roadblock then. That’s a win/win for both teams.  From what I’ve seen, minasian likes pitching. We all know arte has an affinity for hitters. I hope he didn’t get in the way on this one. 

3 hours ago, mmc said:

The 3/$30m deal that Lynn and Gibson both signed for seems like a pretty reasonable deal. It’s a year longer than I’d like, but it’d keep the AAV salary a bit lower and allow more financial flexibility.

2 hours ago, mmc said:

Here’s the actual source and article where this is discussed further.  Apparently we were the ones that backed out

Seeing as how they also pursued Reynolds, I think Miami initiated. Makes sense the Angels backed out if they would prefer seeing how Marsh and or Adell handle the next two months. In that scenario the Angels would have a little more leverage in seeing what their prospect is worth there or elsewhere. The beauty of having both is one is ‘expendable’, and seems like something they can definitely revisit this winter if the Marlins are still interested in Marsh. 

Edited by totdprods

• 9 months later...
On 7/27/2021 at 6:07 PM, eligrba said:

I'm not talking shit about Dipoto until the Angels demonstrate that they can beat them.  He has built a better team with all of his tinkering than Eppler/Minasian have with the Angels.  And it pisses me off to no end to look at Servais and watch his team beat the Angels..continuously.

I agree 

On 7/31/2021 at 3:45 PM, totdprods said:

Seeing as how they also pursued Reynolds, I think Miami initiated. Makes sense the Angels backed out if they would prefer seeing how Marsh and or Adell handle the next two months. In that scenario the Angels would have a little more leverage in seeing what their prospect is worth there or elsewhere. The beauty of having both is one is ‘expendable’, and seems like something they can definitely revisit this winter if the Marlins are still interested in Marsh. 

Seems like great discipline to not pull the trigger. I know pitching looked bleak last season but all the sudden the rotation looks solid with decent depth. 

not to mention we would be screwed if we didn’t have Marsh in the fold for the outfield, Adell’s defense is a huge question mark, Upton wasn’t the answer, and it seems like Jordyn Adams is not going to be the prospect we thought. 

I'm honestly surprised Marsh wasn't dealt last winter. I know the Angels backed out of the deal but I thought the Marlins had set the foundation and would make it work. 

Hard to complain now. Max Meyer is carving through minor league hitters, but Marsh is treading water pretty well right now. The more comfortable he gets, the more his athleticism will begin to shine through and you'll see the power and aggressiveness on the base paths that he's capable of.