• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Official 2021 Trade Deadline Discussion Thread

8 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Or Barria could be traded in a package for another starter.  

I'm not sure that is the basis for a plus value trade if today is more if an indication of what Barria can do. 

I'm fully aware this was against the Twins, a sub 500 team with not many hitters in their lineup but notching his fastball up to 95 and having a out pitch in a changeup or curve makes me wonder, is there a better arm available with cost control out there?

One thing the Angels still have to do is tap into cheap pitching. Barria, Sandoval, Suarez, C-Rod, even Detmiers, these are all arms needed to keep cost under control because Ohtani is going to get a larger piece of the payroll pie very soon. 

Trading for better than Barria means shelling out a lot of propect value and probably eating a much larger salary. I have to wonder if the payoff is there. 

4 minutes ago, Blarg said:

I'm fully aware this was against the Twins, a sub 500 team with not many hitters in their lineup but notching his fastball up to 95 and having a out pitch in a changeup or curve makes me wonder, is there a better arm available with cost control out there? 

The Twins are indeed under .500 but they actually hit well. They have a team OPS+ of 107 on the season -- that's better than the Padres, Red Sox -- just below the Dodgers at 108.

The Angels got solid pitching performances this series.

Dealing Barria has always seemed unlikely to me, and the reason is, most teams that are selling, aren't looking for controllable, dependable back end starters. Most of the time, they'd rather play the lottery on someone with tons of upside, that is still 2-3 years off which matches their window of returning to contention. 

Jaime Barria is the type that has more value to his present club than to any prospective club. 

6 minutes ago, Second Base said:

Dealing Barria has always seemed unlikely to me, and the reason is, most teams that are selling, aren't looking for controllable, dependable back end starters. Most of the time, they'd rather play the lottery on someone with tons of upside, that is still 2-3 years off which matches their window of returning to contention. 

Jaime Barria is the type that has more value to his present club than to any prospective club. 

If so, leave him in the rotation for the rest of the year…..he’s ready for a full time, fair chance…..

On 7/22/2021 at 8:10 PM, Second Base said:

3. Angels trade Jo Adell and Jeremiah Jackson to the Cincinnati Reds in return for RHP Luis Castillo. 

This would be awesome, but no way the Reds do this. Castillo has rebounded nicely from his bad start. I think it would take a lot more to acquire him (though I doubt he is even on the block). 

55 minutes ago, Blarg said:

I'm not sure that is the basis for a plus value trade if today is more if an indication of what Barria can do. 

One thing the Angels still have to do is tap into cheap pitching. Barria, Sandoval, Suarez, C-Rod, even Detmiers, these are all arms needed to keep cost under control because Ohtani is going to get a larger piece of the payroll pie very soon. 

Trading for better than Barria means shelling out a lot of propect value and probably eating a much larger salary. I have to wonder if the payoff is there. 

My issue is he has no options following this year.  He also has shown to be pretty bad out of the pen, granted the sample size isn’t too big.  So if we trade for a guy that sits at the top of the rotation or even settles in between Ohtani and Sandoval, then our depth, guys like Barria, have to stay in the rotation, while probably more talented guys like Detmers and Canning are in AAA. 

Ohtani

New Guy

Sandoval

Suarez

Detmers

Canning

Barria

CRod

Also you need more starters than that.  So now you’ll have to bring in guys like Dillon Peters that bounce from on and off the 40 man to help with depth.  

3 minutes ago, Stradling said:

My issue is he has no options following this year.  He also has shown to be pretty bad out of the pen, granted the sample size isn’t too big.  So if we trade for a guy that sits at the top of the rotation or even settles in between Ohtani and Sandoval, then our depth, guys like Barria, have to stay in the rotation, while probably more talented guys like Detmers and Canning are in AAA. 

Ohtani

New Guy

Sandoval

Suarez

Detmers

Canning

Barria

CRod

Also you need more starters than that.  So now you’ll have to bring in guys like Dillon Peters that bounce from on and off the 40 man to help with depth.  

Criswell, Tyler, and possibly Hernandez and Daniel can fill that Dillon peters roll next year. Hopefully. 

still think it’s gonna be really hard to trade for that ‘new guy’ you mention without giving up one of Rodrigiez or Detmers which is why I’m not doing it. Could canning be that guy?  Maybe. 

All of a sudden the Angels are deep in quality young starters. It is a rather uncanny position to be in.

I was hoping for this a month ago and saying that they may only need one frontline starter. I think that is even more clearly the case.

Furthermore, they're in a position where it isn't "game over" if they acquire no big starter. They just pivot, go with their young rotation, and spend big money on building a kickass bullpen, and possibly go after a shortstop. 

6 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

All of a sudden the Angels are deep in quality young starters. It is a rather uncanny position to be in.

I was hoping for this a month ago and saying that they may only need one frontline starter. I think that is even more clearly the case.

Furthermore, they're in a position where it isn't "game over" if they acquire no big starter. They just pivot, go with their young rotation, and spend big money on building a kickass bullpen, and possibly go after a shortstop. 

If it saves money for Baez I’m not sure what I’m gonna think. 

10 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I had copied the Whit Merrifield tweet and was going to post it, but then saw that @mmc had the most recent post here and knew it was too late. It went from tweet to AW post in under a minute. 

mmc is a sniper 

I have legitimately tried to beat @mmc on tweets by refreshing and using browser extensions to keep Twitter auto-refreshed to where it’s practically a live feed and he still fucking beats me.

Major props.

I believe I saw Dipoto was interested in Frazier, so doesn’t surprise me that he might pivot to Merrifield. I really think that dude might burn the farm he built once he gets going.

3 minutes ago, totdprods said:

I have legitimately tried to beat @mmc on tweets by refreshing and using browser extensions to keep Twitter auto-refreshed to where it’s practically a live feed and he still fucking beats me.

Major props.

I believe I saw Dipoto was interested in Frazier, so doesn’t surprise me that he might pivot to Merrifield. I really think that dude might burn the farm he built once he gets going.

There would be nothing more satisfying than to watch him do that for a team that’s  out over their skis. 

wouldn’t surprise if kelenic gets moved considering his early struggles and the less than stellar relationship between he and the club

1 minute ago, Dochalo said:

There would be nothing more satisfying than to watch him do that for a team that’s  out over their skis. 

wouldn’t surprise if kelenic gets moved considering his early struggles and the less than stellar relationship between he and the club

I have no fucking idea how the Mariners have such a good record. Isn’t the team batting like .200/.300/.400 or something brutal? Luck and what a good bullpen can do.  

I agree, moving Kelenic seems very on-brand for Dipoto too.

I hope he trades that team right back into chaos again. It’s entertaining.

9 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I could see him working a deal to move Cobb and Iglesias for prospects that would turn into Marquez. We have to add to that of course but decreasing the overall prospect burden would be great if he’s gonna move guys. I still like the idea of waiting but you never know if he’s focused on guys who won’t be available come the off season.