• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Official 2021 Trade Deadline Discussion Thread

yzhbolwzooa5i0womgp3.jpeg

We're just over a month out, and all the rumors, predictions, and speculations will start heating up. Figured it was time to start a thread.

Jim Bowden has a good summary up on The Athletic with blurbs on 75 potential players to be traded (no Angels are listed). 

MLB Trade Rumors has a good breakdown of trade candidates as well.

Obviously, right now it's way too early to know if the Halos will be buyers or sellers or both. But glancing through these articles, it's pretty difficult to see any clear-cut targets who would bring massive impact that would come at a tolerable cost. Bowden's top starters include Scherzer, Means, Berrios, Castillo, Marquez, Gray, Gibson...Scherzer, as a rental, doesn't seem to fit. Means, Berrios, Castillo, and Marquez don't need to be moved and will cost a ton. Sonny Gray seems the best bet. Gibson is having a great year, but trading for him doesn't seem to be the type of move the Angels need to gamble on. After that, it drops off into guys basically no better than Cobb, Heaney, Bundy. Names like Lester, Happ, Merrill Kelly. Danny Duffy could be interesting.

The relief market is peppered with names that would be useful of course, but it's a pretty varied bunch as well. Ian Kennedy? Michael Fulmer? Daniel Hudson? Not sure the Angels' farm has the depth to dabble on a fairly middling relief class. 

Might be a pretty dull deadline across baseball this July, short of the likely inevitable trade of Trevor Story.

From the LA Times...

https://www.latimes.com/sports/angels/story/2021-06-26/angels-gm-perry-minasian-evaluating-trade-options

His team is still in that gray area between buying or selling. There’s no telling which direction their campaign might turn next.

“Obviously there’s still significant time left,” Minasian said. “We’re always looking to improve the team. I’ve said that since Day 1. We’ve had multiple different conversations with different clubs. Timing, there’s no way to know. Some things happen quick, some things take time. As far as activity, we’ve talked to multiple clubs on different scenarios and we will continue to do that.”

If the Angels can’t climb back into the playoff picture over the next month, they’ll have several options — they have a dozen players who will be free agents in the offseason, including pitchers Alex Cobb, Andrew Heaney, Dylan Bundy and Raisel Iglesias — that it might make sense to trade.

“There’s short-term and long-term [buys], depending on what you’re buying and how much control it has,” Minasian said. “If you’re looking at shorter-term rentals, then obviously we need to be in a position where we feel like that add is going to really push us. If we’re looking at players with control that can not only help us throughout the rest of this season, going into next year, it’s something we’ll entertain.

“I’ve been with clubs that you might not necessarily think are buyers, per se, but then a certain player pops up and makes sense for the long-term for that club and they go and buy. So I don’t really categorize it as buyer or seller. I think we’re looking for ways to improve our team, both short-term and long-term.”

What did Minasian think is the Angels’ biggest need?

“It changes quick,” he said. “And what we need now might not be what we need two weeks from now. With the injuries we’ve had, offensively we could use an upgrade. On the mound, both in the rotation and bullpen. The rotation has pitched very well of late, hopefully that continues. You can always use help in the bullpen. I think every team will tell you that. I think in all areas, we could use upgrades.”

Raisel Iglesias, Cobb, and yes, even Heaney should be able to be moved at the deadline. Giants immediately stick out to me as a team who could really use Raisel Iglesias to help solidify their closer situation. The rest of the guys on 1yr deals -Suzuki, Quintana, Jose Iglesias, Bundy - I'd be surprised if they could move any of them for much of anything.

Buying and selling is a perfectly reasonable approach when the Angels have so much potential AAA players ready to contribute. 

We as fans think long-term, big picture. We want to build the farm, keep the prospects, see a long-term dynasty that competes for a decade on the back of a strong farm.

Minasian, on the other hand, surely would love to do something similar, but he isn’t a lifelong Angels fan. He was hired by an aging owner who wants to see the Angels win. That doesn’t mean it’s a given he will burn the farm and win now, but his vision is going to differ from ours. 

The Angels are in a good spot to pull in a controllable piece or two, especially if teams want our more distant prospects, and can cycle out the pending FAs, call up Thaiss, Barria, Adell, even Detmers or CRod, and give it a go still. I hope they do.

We need an aggressive, key impact trade or two to compete IMO, coupled with a couple good signings in FA, and some help from within. Sandoval, Suarez, and Ward are proving the latter is possible with time. Let’s make some moves and try to win with the kids this fall, or with a retooled team next spring.

Just now, bloodbrother said:

Raisel Iglesias, Cobb, and yes, even Heaney should be able to be moved at the deadline. Giants immediately stick out to me as a team who could really use Raisel Iglesias to help solidify their closer situation. The rest of the guys on 1yr deals -Suzuki, Quintana, Jose Iglesias, Bundy - I'd be surprised if they could move any of them for much of anything.

Giants have some catching depth they could part with in Bart or Bailey too…their rotation is a little thin too, so someone like Cobb, Heaney, or even Quintana or Bundy could be helpful there. I’m sure Watson, Claudio, or Cishek have some value there too.

Blue Jays also have some pitching needs and catching depth too. I love Stassi but a quality 2nd catcher would be huge.

The Rays could have interest in some arms too, and I wouldn’t mind plucking a SS like Taylor Walls or Brujan or Edwards from them, given that Franco is now up. Helps free up Rengifo/Jackson/Paris/Vera in a buying move. 

Boras said Scherzer wouldn’t waive his NTC unless he was signing an extension with the new team.

Given that in that scenario he wouldn’t be a rental, would that make the Angels more or less interested?

I still think the Angels are in a mindset of trying like hell to win the next two-three years. Ohtani’s FA looms (though I think they’ll re-sign him) and Rendon and Trout’s future in the long-term looks a little more cloudy given their health. Scherzer fits that window despite the risks with his age and the obvious concern spending prospects/money on a pitcher like that with other needs.

58 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Boras said Scherzer wouldn’t waive his NTC unless he was signing an extension with the new team.

Given that in that scenario he wouldn’t be a rental, would that make the Angels more or less interested?

I still think the Angels are in a mindset of trying like hell to win the next two-three years. Ohtani’s FA looms (though I think they’ll re-sign him) and Rendon and Trout’s future in the long-term looks a little more cloudy given their health. Scherzer fits that window despite the risks with his age and the obvious concern spending prospects/money on a pitcher like that with other needs.

I don’t think Max is being traded, they have gone 9-1 in the last 10.  

As for your earlier post there is no way we get Bart for our rentals.  Zero chance.  I am not familiar with Bailey, but teams just aren’t giving up much for rentals.  

I looked at last years Rosenthal trade, since to me it is comparable to what we should expect from an Iglesias trade and the Padres got Rosenthal for an outfield prospect that I didn’t see on their top 30 prospect list.  Granted that is a loaded farm.  So we should not be expecting a top 100 prospect for any of these rentals.  

6 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I don’t think Max is being traded, they have gone 9-1 in the last 10.  

As for your earlier post there is no way we get Bart for our rentals.  Zero chance.  I am not familiar with Bailey, but teams just aren’t giving up much for rentals.  

I looked at last years Rosenthal trade, since to me it is comparable to what we should expect from an Iglesias trade and the Padres got Rosenthal for an outfield prospect that I didn’t see on their top 30 prospect list.  Granted that is a loaded farm.  So we should not be expecting a top 100 prospect for any of these rentals.  

Totally agree on Bart (though it would be good to pair him with his former Buford High School teammate Brandon Marsh...).  Bailey was a first round pick last year.  He's struggling so far this season, but I cannot imagine they'd trade him for a short-term rental--especially one of the caliber the Angels would be willing to trade.

1 minute ago, jsnpritchett said:

Totally agree on Bart (though it would be good to pair him with his former Buford High School teammate Brandon Marsh...).  Bailey was a first round pick last year.  He's struggling so far this season, but I cannot imagine they'd trade him for a short-term rental--especially one of the caliber the Angels would be willing to trade.

You’d have a better chance of getting Posey for rentals than you would of getting Bart or last years 1st round pick.  

If we do end up selling, I hope we double up say with closer and Heaney/Cobb or Iglesias - for a more impactful return.  Quality back (not quantity).   Giving a team a closer and either a SS or SP which are rentals (no LT commitment) is quite enticing for a team hoping to make a 2021 WS run.  Especially ones looking to add previously lost playoff revenues (game day). 

1 minute ago, jsnpritchett said:

Well, well, well....

looks who's talking about high schools now. 

Sutton would be proud.

1 minute ago, Lou said:

Well, well, well....

looks who's talking about high schools now. 

Sutton would be proud.

Ha!  Good point.  I only mention high schools if it's a guy who went to mine (Drew Steckenreider) or Buford, since I own property there and know someone who taught there. 

2 hours ago, Redondo said:

I believe it's time to trade all the expiring contracts and bring in as much young talent as possible

Building the farm should be #1 priority

Bring up our young guys that are on the cusp and give them some experience in the bigs

I totally agree with you.  I wasn't on the selling bandwagon until this disaster series with the Rays.  If we package Heaney, Iglesias, and/or Cobb I think we can get some 1 really good or perhaps 2 decent type prospects.  

There's not a chance in hell the Giants part with Joey Bart for a rental.  

I just have a hard time considering the idea of making any impact trades for major league talent.  Even if it's club controlled for a couple years.  Those guys in the low minors aren't worth much in trade right now so you're talking about major volume to get something done.  

Making those Dan Haren type trades are what keeps recycling us through mediocrity.  

Sorry, but we're 4 games below .500, can't beat good teams and likely have to rebuild half the roster for next year including the entire bullpen.  

Is this team really 1-2 impact players away from being a contender next year?  I just see too many questions and so much turnover coming.  

As I've said before, I'd use our expiring contract to at least try and address a couple three pen arms for next year.  Then go into the off season with the intent of adding a couple more, a starter and a SS (maybe). 

Then I want to see some results before I'd consider making one of those impact trades.  

If I'm perry, I would try to sell and buy; this is what I would do;

First see if we Trade Upton after the year he has. Preferably for a similar contract pitcher. 

The one team I can see that matches well with us is the Mets, they need a left  fielder, while we need a pitcher.

Upton for Carrasco

Angels get: Carrasco

Mets: Upton plus 20 mil. 

Next up, heaney and Igleisas are our biggest trade piece on the team.

I think the Braves are the perfect team to trade with as they need pitching

Maybe something along the lines of;

Angels: Shuster

Braves: Heaney and Iglesias. 

I don't know how much vlaue Cobb has at the emoment, but should be minimal. If he can rebound and get a few solids starts he could have value. 

Than maybe turn our attention towards Marques and we might need to get creative.

Angels; Marquez

Rockies: Adell, Jackson, Shuster (or anyone else we get from any of our trades! Trade Them All!),Holmes  and henandez/tyler. 

Or we can try to eat up half of Blackman's contract along with Marquez to see if the price can be reduced. 

5 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

There's not a chance in hell the Giants part with Joey Bart for a rental.  

I just have a hard time considering the idea of making any impact trades for major league talent.  Even if it's club controlled for a couple years.  Those guys in the low minors aren't worth much in trade right now so you're talking about major volume to get something done.  

Making those Dan Haren type trades are what keeps recycling us through mediocrity.  

Sorry, but we're 4 games below .500, can't beat good teams and likely have to rebuild half the roster for next year including the entire bullpen.  

Is this team really 1-2 impact players away from being a contender next year?  I just see too many questions and so much turnover coming.  

As I've said before, I'd use our expiring contract to at least try and address a couple three pen arms for next year.  Then go into the off season with the intent of adding a couple more, a starter and a SS (maybe). 

Then I want to see some results before I'd consider making one of those impact trades.  

Perry has to do a much better job going forward, now that he, Tamin, and company have had 8 months to observe MLB and the minors.

Blackmon is a tentative FA after this season, but has 2022-23 player options for $31 million total, likely can’t be part of any Marquez deal.

For sure, draft a college pitcher at #9.   Madden, Bachman, or whoever falls to them (Rocker or Leiter) if better than Madden and Bachman.

Re-sign Cobb for 2-3 years, still has only allowed 3 HRs so far.  Put a better defense behind him, and he may become really solid.

Ohtani, Cobb, Sandoval, Detmers, stretch out CRod this season and next, put Barria in lower part of rotation and keep him there, and sign one FA pitcher (#4 type guy).

Trade R. Iglesias, and then bring him back in the off-season if not too expensive as a FA.

Trade J. Iglesias in July and give Rengifo SS to see what he does with it.

Trade Heaney in July.

Bring back Mayers, see if Suarez can start, otherwise joins Mayers as a key reliever.

Clear out every one else in the current pen, sign 2-3 late innings guys, and fill out with real MLB middle/long relievers.

Edited by Angel Oracle

56 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Blackmon is a tentative FA after this season, but has 2022-23 player options for $31 million total, likely can’t be part of any Marquez deal.

For sure, draft a college pitcher at #9.   Madden, Bachman, or whoever falls to them (Rocker or Leiter) if better than Madden and Bachman.

Re-sign Cobb for 2-3 years, still has only allowed 3 HRs so far.  Put a better defense behind him, and he may become really solid.

Ohtani, Cobb, Sandoval, Detmers, stretch out CRod this season and next, put Barria in lower part of rotation and keep him there, and sign one FA pitcher (#4 type guy).

Trade R. Iglesias, and then bring him back in the off-season if not too expensive as a FA.

Trade J. Iglesias in July and give Rengifo SS to see what he does with it.

Trade Heaney in July.

Bring back Mayers, see if Suarez can start, otherwise joins Mayers as a key reliever.

Clear out every one else in the current pen, sign 2-3 late innings guys, and fill out with real MLB middle/long relievers.

Petrika and Danish can go 2 to 3 inn they are at SLC now

Whew. Didn't think an off-the-cuff on Bart or Bailey would be what everyone lasered in on...

I knew Bart was a tip-top prospect, but I've paid him basically no mind since he was drafted, so wasn't quite aware that he was virtually untouchable. He basically is. Bailey is more attainable.

Added to that, no, I didn't expect San Fran to part with either for rentals, but I also didn't exactly think it would have to be limited to Angels rentals. With Posey's resurrection, perhaps the Giants are more inclined to part with long-term catching to keep Posey around, and perhaps the Angels build out to include prospects (Marsh? Adams? Paris? Jackson?) to pry away Bailey (or basically no-chance Bart) or Genoves. But maybe they move Posey or Bart or 1B (or DH if it's added for Posey) and keep them all. Either way, they have catching depth

If Suarez can actually stick in the rotation later this year, along with Sandoval firmly laying claim to a future spot, and Detmers and Rodriguez... the Angels may not need to spend as much in the off-season on pitching as originally anticipated.  

If that's the case, maybe cash in your chips on Adell to acquire German Marquez and use the remaining 30 million in free agency to build the ever loving terror of a bullpen.

Throw Ottavino, Kennedy, Barnes and Iglesias our current "bullpen problem" and suddenly we've locked everything down beyond the 5th inning and the "rotation problem" we have with starters not working deep enough, doesn't matter anymore.  

But that's all continent on the Angels having the great fortune of Sandoval, Suarez, Detmers and Rodriguez pitch up to their ability and stay healthy. You'd love it if the Angels were so lucky.  Guess we'll find out by September.