• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Official 2021 Trade Deadline Discussion Thread

13 minutes ago, angelsnationtalk said:

I'd do it, but value-wise it'd probably cost Adell, Canning, Adams and Peris which us steep. 
But if it meant extensions it'd be worth taking a look at. 

Only concern is trading two of our top outfield prospects away....

Unless we can give Iglesias and Cobb to the Dodgers for Pages.

Zero chance Scherzer costs Adell, Canning, Adam’s and Perris. He probably costs less than Adell trade value wise.  

8 minutes ago, Stradling said:

That makes more sense.  I personally wouldn’t do that.  But Turner is great. 

I wouldn't by giving up Adams and Adell in the same deal. Unless you can get Paiges back from Dodgers in another deal. 

Would still only give Adell away for guy like Marquez, Castillo, Mize or Gore, but even that gets problematic. 

14 minutes ago, angelsnationtalk said:

That package is for Scherzer AND Turner

For 1 year of Turner and 2 months of Scherzer?  

Maybe my memory fails me - but has there ever been a trade that was contingent on reaching extensions with anyone, much less *two* guys?

And would those extensions leave us enough to extend Ohtani *and* get some bullpen help?

I'd love both of these guys, of course - but it doesn't seem feasible.  

Scherzer prefer a move to the west cost, we're 5 Gb back, if we can get to at least 4 Gb, we should be in a good spot to make that trade. We can also get Scherzer for a good price, and an extenstion. 

Your Probably be looking at Adell, Davis, and two non top 30 young high upside guys. 

Heck depending on the contract it could be less. But we need to make the move, Scherzer get us that Ace pitcher we've lacked! 

Than go and trade for Yimi Garacia, and Tepera. 

22 minutes ago, failos said:

Hard pass on that trade “idea”

We need BP help, not SP help.

I think we need both. If you can get a SP with a positive ML track record then I think they should do it. We have some promising young arms but they are far from proven at this point. 

30 minutes ago, failos said:

Hard pass on that trade “idea”

We need BP help, not SP help.

Not saying I disagree, but improving the SP could also mean shifting any of Suarez, Barria, Rodriguez, Canning? into the bullpen and bumping out Cishek, Watson, Mayers, at least out of their roles if not entirely. Bachman is an option too.

Given how the market is going, it might be easier to shop for SP than RP. And we will need to fill rotation spots in '22, a head start on shopping here helps us now and later. 

Edited by totdprods

Charlie Morton and Will Smith could be an interesting duo to look at...the Braves might be interested in clearing up some payroll and Smith has solid. 

Morton's East Coast preference isn't an issue since he doesn't have a NTC or 10-5 rights here, and Will Smith is controlled in '22 with an option for '23. 

Bringing in Smith gives you a little flexibility in considering Iglesias offers too. They can keep him and have a strong 1-2, or they can still move Iglesias for a big return if someone's offering, and you have Smith as a CP - ideally in that scenario though the Angels also add something else to the pen elsewhere. 

Honestly, I don't think the Angels should sell. I've changed my mind. I don't know if they'll make the playoffs or not, but outside of Heaney, they finally have a pretty solid rotation. And Trout and Rendon will come back eventually. Probably a couple more weeks, and the offense will be incredible when they're all clicking. The defense finally looks good. 

Just the bullpen sucks. 

Again, I'd just relocate, that's all. Trade Heaney for relief pitchers. Maybe Cobb too. 

I'd like to see the Angels make a move for a SP that is either under club control at least through next year or one that signs an extension.  Ohtani, Sandoval, Suarez, Detmers, Barria and Canning along with some of the other young guys like Rodriguez isn't bad going into next year but some are unproven, one took a step back so far this year and the test for some others will be what they look like another time through the league.  Adding a legit SP to that group means added depth while some guys can either start next year in the minors or work out of the pen.  It also means hopefully going into the off season not needing to add a SP.  Anyone not in the plans for next year like Heaney and Bundy should be moved for whatever they can get.  

People keep talking about buy or sell and the Angels place in the standing this year in determining buy or sell.

That’s all noise.

The Angels just need to focus on improving the team for next year and beyond, chasing primarily a controllable starting pitcher.

The acquired player/players can ALSO help the team this year.

The Angels place in the standing has no bearing on this objective.  None.

Additionally, separately, the Angels can consider if they want to exchange Cobb or Heaney or Iglesias for other pieces if the return can deliver help as early as next year.  It just depends what you get back.

Edited by Dtwncbad

36 minutes ago, Second Base said:

Honestly, I don't think the Angels should sell. I've changed my mind. I don't know if they'll make the playoffs or not, but outside of Heaney, they finally have a pretty solid rotation. And Trout and Rendon will come back eventually. Probably a couple more weeks, and the offense will be incredible when they're all clicking. The defense finally looks good. 

Just the bullpen sucks. 

Again, I'd just relocate, that's all. Trade Heaney for relief pitchers. Maybe Cobb too. 

It's changing day by day for me...I'm more of a addition by subtraction mood of late.

I'm currently at: 

1. Trade Heaney for anything - he has enough going for him that some SP-desperate team will give up at least a useful piece. Let one or a combo of Barria, Detmers, Rodriguez take those innings and see what happens. Could save us some winter trouble by reducing the number of SP we need to shop for. Preferably get a live arm or two from someone like San Diego or New York.
  2. Dump Bundy or Quintana if anyone wants them, solely to clear salary and playing time. Get Ortega, Bachman, Higgins, Warren, Barria, Quijada, Rodriguez, Pena? Ramos? Petricka? Anyone else a shot here. Revolving door if necessary. Someone will at least fluke into a good 20 IP over two months.
  3. Set really high asking prices for Iglesias and Cobb - something that fills an immediate or '22 need with a legitimate prospect or player. If someone does pay that, make the move. 
  4. Buy an under-the-radar non-rental reliever or two- lord knows we need one now and next year. Doesn't have to be a huge acquisition, look at what the Yankees did in getting Clay Holmes. Maybe something like MacKinnon, Orlando Martinez, Hector Yan, Thaiss or Rengifo or Rojas to the Marlins for one (maybe two?) of Dylan Floro, John Curtiss, or Richard Bleier, or the Orioles for Scott or Fry. Maybe Will Smith from Atlanta is an option here too.
  5. Shop a combo of Adell, Canning, maybe a young arm, and a SS prospect for an impact SP+ - you don't have to make this move, but if someone accepts, give it some serious thought. Could be anything from Berrios + Buxton to Hendricks + Contreras/Kimbrel to Luis Castillo or Marquez+, Scherzer + Turner, Alcantara + RP, even Bieber, etc., but this helps you now, helps you later, doesn't hurt your chances this year.

I've also always wanted Carlos Santana on the Angels. He probably will be too in-demand (he makes so much sense for the Red Sox) and he doesn't have a clear spot here - if the August deadline existed I would want him then - but he could be a good PH/DH/1B guy to have.

Edited by totdprods

4 minutes ago, totdprods said:

It's changing day by day for me...I'm more of a addition by subtraction mood of late.

I'm currently at: 

1. Trade Heaney for anything - he has enough going for him that some SP-desperate team will give up at least a useful piece. Let one or a combo of Barria, Detmers, Rodriguez take those innings and see what happens. Could save us some winter trouble by reducing the number of SP we need to shop for. Preferably get a live arm or two from someone like San Diego or New York.
  2. Dump Bundy or Quintana if anyone wants them, solely to clear salary and playing time. Get Ortega, Bachman, Higgins, Warren, Barria, Rodriguez, Pena? Ramos? Petricka? Anyone else a shot here.
  3. Set really high asking prices for Iglesias and Cobb - something that fills an immediate or '22 need with a legitimate prospect or player. If someone does pay that, make the move. 
  4. Buy an under-the-radar non-rental reliever or two- lord knows we need one now and next year. Doesn't have to be a huge acquisition, look at what the Yankees did in getting Clay Holmes. Maybe something like MacKinnon, Orlando Martinez, Hector Yan, Thaiss or Rengifo or Rojas to the Marlins for one (maybe two?) of Dylan Floro, John Curtiss, or Richard Bleier, or the Orioles for Scott or Fry. Maybe Will Smith from Atlanta is an option here too.
  5. Shop a combo of Adell, Canning, maybe a young arm, and a SS prospect for an impact SP+ - you don't have to make this move, but if someone accepts, give it some serious though. Could be anything from Berrios + Buxton to Hendricks + Contreras/Kimbrel to Luis Castillo or Marquez+, Scherzer + Turner, etc., but this helps you now, helps you later, doesn't hurt your chances this year.

Really good post based in reality and a sensible objective to build the club for next year while potentially helping the team compete this year.

Starting to feel like our SP has a bright future. Also, they currently aren't killing this team. If you trade Adell for a starter we will regret it. Do everything you can to get bullpen help.  Also, Adell & Marsh will be cheap contributors which will be highly necessary when we open the checkbook for Ohtani. Which should be the number one priority moving forward. 

28 minutes ago, totdprods said:

I'm currently at: 

2. Dump Bundy or Quintana if anyone wants them, solely to clear salary and playing time. Get Ortega, Bachman, Higgins, Warren, Barria, Quijada, Rodriguez, Pena? Ramos? Petricka? Anyone else a shot here. Revolving door if necessary. Someone will at least fluke into a good 20 IP over two months.
  5. Shop a combo of Adell, Canning, maybe a young arm, and a SS prospect for an impact SP+ - you don't have to make this move, but if someone accepts, give it some serious thought. Could be anything from Berrios + Buxton to Hendricks + Contreras/Kimbrel to Luis Castillo or Marquez+, Scherzer + Turner, Alcantara + RP, even Bieber, etc., but this helps you now, helps you later, doesn't hurt your chances this year.

I've also always wanted Carlos Santana on the Angels. He probably will be too in-demand (he makes so much sense for the Red Sox) and he doesn't have a clear spot here - if the August deadline existed I would want him then - but he could be a good PH/DH/1B guy to have.

Good thoughts. Number 5 could really be useful going forward as well. 

Seems like the majority of teams (Padres, Giants, Dodgers, Rays, etc.) are looking at top arms first. So let's assume Scherzer, Gray, Kimbrel, Gibson and Berrios are priority. If these guys get dealt then I'd expect the teams who missed on these guys would be calling about Cobb, Iglesias and maybe Heaney and Mayers. 

I'd imagine the Angels would be last to trade these guys as they'll wait and see what the return looks like for the others first. It's going to be a waiting game. 

Still think a Cobb/Iglesias package fits very well with the Dodgers. They need both. 

12 minutes ago, angelsnationtalk said:

Seems like the majority of teams (Padres, Giants, Dodgers, Rays, etc.) are looking at top arms first. So let's assume Scherzer, Gray, Kimbrel, Gibson and Berrios are priority. If these guys get dealt then I'd expect the teams who missed on these guys would be calling about Cobb, Iglesias and maybe Heaney and Mayers. 

I really like Heaney (and Mayers) to Tampa, the Yankees, San Diego, or the Dodgers. Maybe San Francisco, though I'm not as  crazy about their farm unless we're getting Bailey back.

For the most part, those teams have farm systems so deep that by packaging the two, the Angels should be able to get two legit 15-30 range prospects, or one 5-15 guy.

And I feel any of those teams could get good results from Heaney and Mayers in return.

Ideas like Heaney + Mayers for...

• NYY: Waldichuk and Otto
  • SDG: Espinoza and or two of Lawson/Thompson/Wilson/Fox
  • LAD: Cartaya or Pages and one of Jackson/Grove/Carillo
  • TBD: Edwards/Walls or Battenfield/Mercado
Edited by totdprods

1 minute ago, totdprods said:

I really like Heaney (and Mayers) to Tampa, the Yankees, San Diego, or the Dodgers. Maybe San Francisco, though I'm not as  crazy about their farm unless we're getting Bailey back.

For the most part, those teams have farm systems so deep that by packaging the two, the Angels should be able to get two legit 15-30 range prospects, or one 5-15 guy.

And I feel any of those teams could get good results from Heaney and Mayers in return.

If we're talking about a good deal for those two guys then you'd have to assume Cobb and Iglesias to either one of those same teams would be great. 

2 minutes ago, angelsnationtalk said:

If we're talking about a good deal for those two guys then you'd have to assume Cobb and Iglesias to either one of those same teams would be great. 

I'm inclined to keep both and go for it and an attempt to extend, barring someone making an absolutely stupid offer. Which someone might make, sure. 

But I think the Halos have enough going for them to keep them and instead extract value for guys like Heaney and Mayers. Promote some youth to help. Make a shrewd move or two for the pen. Shop for an impact deal. Lots to work with.