• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Official 2021 Trade Deadline Discussion Thread

Tbh even though I know trading them would net a decent haul, I'd really like for us to re-sign the Iglesiai. 

We need a closer long term. We need a shortstop long term. We aren't getting a cost-controlled starter for either of them, so signing them both should be priority number 1. 

Yes, I understand they can be traded and still be re-signed, but what are the odds of that happening? I feel like we have a better shot if we can start negotiating ASAP. 

I honestly don't see this team going into "sell" mode regardless, so more than likely we'll be holding onto them anyway.

Our biggest issue is the bullpen, and I think having the closer position locked down for the next 3 years or so is the best way to begin improving in that area.

I really hope the Angels are one of the most active teams.

Unfortunately the number of trades executed is not a true indication of how active they are in trying to make deals.

I want good trades, not just trades to make trades.

Hopefully we will all be happy with what happens!

Lets go Perry!!

13 minutes ago, totdprods said:

I'm inclined to keep both and go for it and an attempt to extend, barring someone making an absolutely stupid offer. Which someone might make, sure. 

But I think the Halos have enough going for them to keep them and instead extract value for guys like Heaney and Mayers. Promote some youth to help. Make a shrewd move or two for the pen. Shop for an impact deal. Lots to work with.

I think at the end of Friday we will all see the Angels make 1 or 2 moves but keep Cobb and Iglesias to give us "a chance". It's going to be another basic trade deadline for the Angels. Maybe they DFA Quintana and Bundy to replace with Rodriguez and Detmers... but that's it. Just a chance should everything.... and i mean everything....go right. 

uhhhhhhh.....

I know it's beside the point, but it could have nothing to do with Iglesias and more to do with dealing in-division. 

Also wouldn't surprise me if there was a miscommunication in trade deadline frenzy and they meant Raisel Iglesias, which would have much broader ramifications on 2021 contention - buying or selling - of which having Arte give his blessing to one path or another makes more sense.

The Athletic:

Detmers has the greatest trade value of the Angels’ prospects, while closer Raisel Iglesias is the most coveted of their available major leaguers. Iglesias is more durable than the typical closer, leading the majors with six saves of four or more outs this season and 35 such saves since 2017. But if the Angels trade him, they effectively would be giving up on their season; their bullpen is not strong enough to withstand his departure.

Just now, Revad said:

The Athletic:

Detmers has the greatest trade value of the Angels’ prospects, while closer Raisel Iglesias is the most coveted of their available major leaguers. Iglesias is more durable than the typical closer, leading the majors with six saves of four or more outs this season and 35 such saves since 2017. But if the Angels trade him, they effectively would be giving up on their season; their bullpen is not strong enough to withstand his departure.

Our bullpen isn't even strong enough with him in our bullpen too

2 minutes ago, Revad said:

The Athletic:

If the Angels traded Detmers then I think we'd all arrive at the front office with torches and pitchforks....

10 minutes ago, angelsnationtalk said:

If the Angels traded Detmers then I think we'd all arrive at the front office with torches and pitchforks....

I can't really imagine a scenario in which they'd trade Detmers, since he's exactly what they need long-term.  I probably wouldn't even do a one-for-one swap of him for Marquez, tbh.

3 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

I'm seeing a lot of chatter about Tre Turner getting moved, with the Mariners interested. 

Would you guys offer something around Adell, Jackson/Paris + for Tre Turner & Scherzer?

If I could get Scherzer to sign an extension, sure. 
Don't think Turner will be easy to extend, and that's okay. We can't easily afford that, but a short-term deal for Max is doable. 

Let Turner walk and get the QO pick. He and Fletcher at the top of the order would be nuts.

Edited by totdprods

1 minute ago, totdprods said:

If I could get Scherzer to sign an extension, sure. 
Don't think Turner will be easy to extend, and that's okay. We can't easily afford that, but a short-term deal for Max is doable. 

Let Turner walk and get the QO pick. 

Doesn't Turner have 2022 and 2023 left on his contract or just 2022? 

1 minute ago, Chuckster70 said:

Doesn't Turner have 2022 and 2023 left on his contract or just 2022? 

He's a free agent end of next season...

Don't see how we could have Trout, Rendon, Scherzer, Turner, and Ohtani all at market value deals going into 2023. 

I'd hope Vera or Jackson or another SS is ready to roll going in 2023 and get that QO pick to use for another arm or impact bat after trading away Adell. 

On 6/30/2021 at 3:03 PM, totdprods said:

Putting this in here too...

Here's a look at some past deadlines for teams that Perry was on before...of course, this has no real direct bearing on what Perry will do, but this should still offer up some idea as to what Perry has witnessed and been a part of.

As an assistant GM with the Braves...
2020: (20-14, 1st, +3 GB at deadline:) stood pat - added Tommy Milone in a very low-impact depth move.
2019: (64-45, 1st, +6.5): buyers - rebuilt the pen in deals for Shane Greene, Mark Melancon, and Chris Martin for some notable prospects - Kolby Allard, Joey Wentz, Travis Demeritte, Dan Winkler, and Tristan Beck
2018: (57-47, 2nd, -0.5 GB): buyers - added two RP (Venters, Brach) in two deals for intl pool $, OF Adam Duvall for three fringe 40-man types (Sims, Wisler, Tucker), and Gausman + O'Day for pool $ and four loose change MILBers
2017: (48-56, 4th, -15 GB): sellers - swapped SP Jaime Garcia and a back-up C to Minnesota for a damn good pitching prospect in Huascar Ynoa

As director of pro scouting with the Blue Jays...
2016: (59-46, 2nd, -0.5 GB): buyers or sellers? - LOTS of change of scenery deals in Storen for Benoit (who was much better), Chavez for Bolsinger, struggling Drew Hutchinson for struggling Liriano (who pitched better) plus solid minor leaguers Reese McGuire and Harold Ramirez, and also picked up BJ Upton for depth and a strong Scott Feldman for a good low-level SP prospect from HOU
2015: (53-51, 2nd, -6 GB): strong buyers - a huge deadline that saw Toronto add Troy Tulowitzki, David Price, LaTroy Hawkins, and a still good Ben Revere and Mark Lowe in four trades involving some strong prospects (Boyd, Hoffman, Norris, Labourt, and more)...they went on to win the division.
2014: (60-50, 2nd, -1.5 GB): light sellers - flipped a young, strong performing Liam Hendriks and Erik Kratz for INF Danny Valencia 
2013: (50-57, 5th, -15 GB): stood pat - did literally nothing for weeks.
2012: (51-52, 5th, -9 GB): buyers + sellers? - huge trade with HOU involving a bunch of change of scenery names, with Toronto sending seven players (Francisco Cordero, Ben Francisco, etc.) and MILBers (including Joe Musgrove) for a 'meh' JA Happ and David Carpenter and a strong Brandon Lyon, and acquired two decently performing younger pitchers in Brad Lincoln and Steve Delabar in selling off Eric Thames and Travis Snider
2011: (55-53, 4th, -12 GB): buyers + sellers? - 3-team, 11-player trade with STL sending Octavio Dotel, Edwin Jackson, Corey Patterson, and Mark Rzepczynski and Jason Frasor and Zach Stewart to CWS for basically Colby Rasmus and a couple solid RPs

Some observations...

• There's usually activity...only two times have his teams done basically nothing (COVID 2020 and 2013).
  • Perry's never really been a part of a selling team...change-of-scenery deals seem to be where his teams have gone if they didn't buy as opposed to receiving pure prospects.
  • The Braves bullpen overhaul in 2019 sure feels similar to the pre-Opening Day bullpen rebuild here.
  • I also have to say that the 2015 deal for Tulo and Hawkins could have some parallels in a theoretical deal for Marquez/Gray and Story. 
  • Both Matthew Boyd and Daniel Norris seem like they could be some buy options for the Halos this deadline. 
  • Perry has been a part of some teams, especially the Blue Jays, that made massive deals with lots of moving parts, including significant outgoing minor leaguers.
  • Also, at a very quick glance, I noticed a ton of familiar names from when Perry was with TOR. Ben Rowen, Hansel Rodriguez, Jesse Chavez...off-topic, but Toronto's amateur drafting and signing program is crazy good.
  • Based off the types of deals Minasian has made in Anaheim, and the names involved, it seems like his influence in Toronto might have been much more prevalent than when in Atlanta, despite not being an AGM, or at the very least, he had as much influence in Toronto as he did in Atlanta.

Bumping this as a refresher.

For most of Perry's career, his teams have been buyers, or have taken a mixed approach. 2018, 2016, 2015, 2012, and 2011 seem to be particularly relevant to the Angels' situation and where his teams were at the time.