• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Official 2021 Trade Deadline Discussion Thread

2 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

Well the Angels dumped Cozart by giving up minor leaguer Wilson.

Yes that Cozart obligation was more than 2 months so not exactly what I am saying here but the concept does make sense.

I would have to do more homework to suggest an example but how about the hypothetical that a contending team tight their budget wants Scherzer and can’t afford him unless they move some money.

They could work it out with the Nats but if the pieces don’t match up, they could look to another team to move some money in exchange for a prospect.

Like I said the concept makes sense but the price of a decent prospect is worth more than two months pay of a major leaguer. Cozart was $13 million and it created a seasons worth of spending flexibility for the Angels.  It happened during the off season so you could add a free agent and you could add payroll at the deadline. Plus, Eppler got destroyed for making the trade. 

1 minute ago, Stradling said:

Like I said the concept makes sense but the price of a decent prospect is worth more than two months pay of a major leaguer. Cozart was $13 million and it created a seasons worth of spending flexibility for the Angels.  It happened during the off season so you could add a free agent and you could add payroll at the deadline. Plus, Eppler got destroyed for making the trade. 

We disagree.  I think you probably could land a “decent” prospect for taking a financial obligation off a contending club, especially if it was necessary for them to complete a different trade.

Your argument seems to be that one team is not going to overpay and give up too good of a prospect.

And I never claimed a team would make a deal they don’t like.

6 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

We disagree.  I think you probably could land a “decent” prospect for taking a financial obligation off a contending club, especially if it was necessary for them to complete a different trade.

Your argument seems to be that one team is not going to overpay and give up too good of a prospect.

And I never claimed a team would make a deal they don’t like.

My claim is it doesn’t happen.  You pointed out Cozart.  I pointed out how different it was.  The most we are talking about $10 million of contract.  Not sure that is worthy of a team giving us a valuable prospect. Oh and it’s only $10 million if they are trading a $30 million player.  I think we have the market cornered on those. 

5 minutes ago, Stradling said:

My claim is it doesn’t happen.  You pointed out Cozart.  I pointed out how different it was.  The most we are talking about $10 million of contract.  Not sure that is worthy of a team giving us a valuable prospect. Oh and it’s only $10 million if they are trading a $30 million player.  I think we have the market cornered on those. 

I suggest an angle the Angels COULD look at (“could” was the exact word I used) and you basically predict a deal like this will not happen.

Congratulations for making the easy bet.

Come deadline, go skip to the betting counter and cash your $2 to show bet on the 5/9 favorite and then tell me how you were right.

4 hours ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

My perdictions:

Ward and Heaney get traded.

Ward for controllable BP arm

Heaney for a prospect.Gets replaced by Detmers.

Surpise trades;

Adell+ jackson+ more for a TOR arm

Cobb I think there is a 50/50 chance he get traded, and of so it's for a top 100 prospect. I think he stays 

Perry adds a few more rental arms to the BP.

Ward has minimal value….he just hasn’t broken through, despite having an opportunity to do so…..

Just now, Dtwncbad said:

If Scherzer gets traded, I would love to see him go the Padres and help that team beat the Dodgers and go to the WS.

Same.  They are kinda dealing with tax issues already so, its unlikely unless they find a taker for Hosmer, but it would be neat to see them do it.  Also LA Times reporting majority of Dodgers don't want Bauer back under any conditions...

Just now, Inside Pitch said:

Same.  They are kinda dealing with tax issues already so, its unlikely unless they find a taker for Hosmer, but it would be neat to see them do it.  Also LA Times reporting majority of Dodgers don't want Bauer back under any conditions...

Link?

1 minute ago, Lou said:

Link?

https://www.latimes.com/sports/dodgers/story/2021-07-25/trevor-bauer-dodgers-timeline

"Bauer’s career is in jeopardy, and his stay with the Dodgers could be over, the sexual-assault allegations having turned a pitcher in his prime into a pariah in his own clubhouse, where no teammate has spoken publicly about him or come to his defense. Two people with knowledge of Dodgers clubhouse dynamics, who are unauthorized to speak publicly about the situation, said that a majority of players do not want Bauer back under any circumstances."

2 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Yea how great would it be to see the Dodgers lose out on Scherzer and also whiff on Bauer being a beast for them down the stretch.

That would be fun.

32 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

I suggest an angle the Angels COULD look at (“could” was the exact word I used) and you basically predict a deal like this will not happen.

Congratulations for making the easy bet.

Come deadline, go skip to the betting counter and cash your $2 to show bet on the 5/9 favorite and then tell me how you were right.

Ok.  And you be upset when a deal like this doesn’t happen.  Like I said, it makes sense in theory, but deals like this don’t happen.  

Just now, Stradling said:

Ok.  And you be upset when a deal like this doesn’t happen.  Like I said, it makes sense in theory, but deals like this don’t happen.  

Upset if it doesn’t happen?  Strad, where on earth did you come up with that fantasy?

Your comprehensive response to my post is basically, yes that makes sense, but you predict it doesn’t happen.

Again Strad, Congratulations for predicting it will probably be hot and dry in Palm Springs on June 19, 2026.

Great contribution.

3 minutes ago, Stradling said:

This would be my second choice behind the Angels getting Scherzer.

I dig Sherzer and many fans would freak out if the Angels traded away a premium prospect for him.

But if I knew they could extend him for a couple years, I probably would do it.

Clearly his age is a red flag, but the guy is still dominating.

9 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

Upset if it doesn’t happen?  Strad, where on earth did you come up with that fantasy?

Your comprehensive response to my post is basically, yes that makes sense, but you predict it doesn’t happen.

Again Strad, Congratulations for predicting it will probably be hot and dry in Palm Springs on June 19, 2026.

Great contribution.

Sorry I upset you letting you know something you already knew. 

Just now, Stradling said:

Sorry I upset you letting you know something you already knew. 

I am not upset.  I am poking back at the guy that agrees with me on both concept and likelihood but takes a contrarian stance anyway, as if that is a contribution.

18 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

https://www.latimes.com/sports/dodgers/story/2021-07-25/trevor-bauer-dodgers-timeline

"Bauer’s career is in jeopardy, and his stay with the Dodgers could be over, the sexual-assault allegations having turned a pitcher in his prime into a pariah in his own clubhouse, where no teammate has spoken publicly about him or come to his defense. Two people with knowledge of Dodgers clubhouse dynamics, who are unauthorized to speak publicly about the situation, said that a majority of players do not want Bauer back under any circumstances."

I read the article and wondered if the players were hiding the real reason for not wanting Bauer back by using the sexual-assault accusation.

Such a shame to squander 100 million dollars on a known douche bag.  I can hardly wait for Bauer to return with a greater understanding of the situation.

38 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

Thanks, Friedman!