• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Official 2021 Trade Deadline Discussion Thread

16 minutes ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

A few rumors:

Royals are listening to offers for Duffy. Duffy prefers to be dealt to either LA or SD.

Twins not in the Market to trade controllable pieces. Prices for Berrios is an mlb piece and 2 top 100 prospects 

I'd pass on Duffy unless the Angels get significantly closer to a playoff spot in the next couple weeks AND he doesn't require giving away the farm.  Free agent at the end of the year.  Missed more than a month earlier this season.  Hasn't gone more than 5 innings in an outing since he came back.

I think I'd lose my shit if we gave up anything significant for Danny Duffy.  

We might actually be a good trade partner for Miami if they're interested in our position players.  

I still can't imagine any team who's willing to part with a legit TOR arm not ask for one of Detmers or Rodriguez.  

24 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

I think I'd lose my shit if we gave up anything significant for Danny Duffy.  

We might actually be a good trade partner for Miami if they're interested in our position players.  

I still can't imagine any team who's willing to part with a legit TOR arm not ask for one of Detmers or Rodriguez.  

Yeah we aren't getting that type of pitcher without pain. 

But trading Detmers or C-Rod is definitely an Angels thing to do.

12 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

Yeah we aren't getting that type of pitcher without pain. 

But trading Detmers or C-Rod is definitely an Angels thing to do.

I don’t think they will part with high level pitching prospects. Based on the draft it’s obvious Perry knows where they need help 

The mindset of a fan:

We really need to land a impact player in a trade.

Crap, the price for a high impact player is high.

I don’t want to pay a high price for the high impact player.

Look at least expensive acquisitions.

Be disappointed when the less expensive acquisitions don’t really fix what you are trying to fix because you didn’t acquire the high impact player you needed.

Demand the team get serious about fixing their problems instead of bandaids.

Repeat.

2 minutes ago, Jason said:

I don’t think they will part with high level pitching prospects. Based on the draft it’s obvious Perry knows where they need help 

Maybe.  Or maybe this last draft was stockpiling pitchers so that you can afford to trade a few advanced arms and not end up being left without any pitching prospects.

1 minute ago, Dtwncbad said:

Maybe.  Or maybe this last draft was stockpiling pitchers so that you can afford to trade a few advanced arms and not end up being left without any pitching prospects.

Not even the Halos would do this. Detmers and C-Rod are close to being on the roster and they need arms yesterday 

2 minutes ago, Jason said:

Not even the Halos would do this. Detmers and C-Rod are close to being on the roster and they need arms yesterday 

If you are saying Detmers and C-Rod are untouchable in trades, you may end up shocked.

There is just no way they are untouchable.  You have to trade away high quality to get high quality in return.

For the right player, I doubt there is any singular untouchable player in the Angels system.

I wouldn’t make any drastic decisions. Trade off some guys with little worth if you can get some fringe BP prospects back (similar to the Kinsler for Buttrey deal). 

Wait until the off-season and hope that Adell continues to rebuild some value and trade him for the best controllable pitcher you can get. Hope and pray that someone oversees his warts and let Marsh take over full time in RF. I think Marsh is the better prospect anyways. 

2 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

If you are saying Detmers and C-Rod are untouchable in trades, you may end up shocked.

There is just no way they are untouchable.  You have to trade away high quality to get high quality in return.

For the right player, I doubt there is any singular untouchable player in the Angels system.

I agree with that but the Halos need quality arms so getting rid of quality arms doesn’t make a lot of sense right now 

1 minute ago, Jason said:

I agree with that but the Halos need quality arms so getting rid of quality arms doesn’t make a lot of sense right now 

This is it.

No one is untouchable, to be sure. But Detmers and Rodriguez are pretty damn close to being exactly what this rotation needs. Trading pitching for pitching when you need pitching is an extremely risky move at best. We don't have a surplus of young, cost-controlled SP, so dipping into that puddle doesn't make sense to me.

I’d be open to moving Canning first, due to his ominous injuries, followed by Rodriguez - mostly because of his reliever risk and durability questions - then extremely hesitant to deal Detmers unless it’s for someone almost too good to be true, like a Bieber or Flaherty.

first off, I'm backing away from my initial thought of moving expiring assets for pen help next year.  

we've actually done a shit ton of that and it hasn't worked because anyone close to the majors that you can acquire for an Ian Kinsler or someone like that (Jose Iglesias etc.), is going to have some major negatives attached.  No more Alex Meyers or Dillon Peters.  

Here's a fun aside btw.  Dillon Peters was acquired from Miami for Tyler Stevens.  A no name throw away 18th rounder for the halos in 2017.  He's in AA with a 2.42 era in 26ip with 31k.  I have no idea what he throws but he'd still be a relief asset.  Just like Isaac Mattson, Zach Peek, Kyle Bradish and Kyle Brnovich, and Garrett Stallings and Jean Pinto (throw in as part of the Jose Iglesias deal.  1.06 era with 25k, 4 walks in 17ip for the FCL orioles at age 20) .  And even Jam Jones.  Or how about Will Wilson.  None of those guys are likely stars.  But it's just part of the continued erosion of assets over time.  Every single one of which has gone into making the team better the following year instead of looking 2, 3, or even five years down the road.  Jerry masterfully dismantled the Angels farm system in this very fashion and doubled up on his efforts by replacing it with almost nothing.  Yet Eppler and now Minasian are following suit with the same way of doing this bullshit.  

Dylan Bundy had 'season' last year and help us to .433 winning %.  Jose Iglesias is gonna help us finish .500 this year.  As is Alex Cobb who is having a very good season.  With the two latter you have a chance to resupply that depth you took from.  Stupidly.  If you don't then what was the point of getting these guys?  So they can help make the team a little better but still mostly shitty? 

Another example.   Don't acquire Franklin Barreto for guys like La Stella.  Maybe that's all they could get, but take the best possible option even if the guy is in the DSL.  That's how you get Yordan Alvarez for Josh Fields.  The dude was probably some skinny punk who hit a combined 1 hr before getting traded.  It's how you get Fernando Tatis Jr. for James Shields.  Shields was 34 with an era over 4 in 2016.  The Pads ate half his contract to boot.  You think they're worried about that now?  

Use your expiring assets to acquire as much value for the future as you possibly can.  I don't care if the player is 17 or 27.  It doesn't have to be for a guy that can help next year.  Just get as much as you possibly can.  And for the love of god, stop trading to help the major league club unless it's actually going to make a damn difference.   The Angels are walking into 2022 without a bullpen.  Literally, 7 of the players currently in the pen are free agents at the end of the year.  Actually would have been easier to mention that they have two guys returning.  Mayers and Wantz.  

So how about you build something that seems mildly competitive first?  Then make that next level trade to finish it off.  Wouldn't it be nice to have all those assets back right now instead of seeing them in other orgs top 40 prospect lists?  That would certainly soften the blow a bit of making that important trade.  I'm so tired of watching this perpetual motion machine of .500 (or worse) baseball yet the wash rinse repeat of trying the same thing over and over and over with the same damn results.  So we can see us draft 20 pitchers to replenish the supply of those failed efforts.  

tldr - stop making stupid and/or worthless trades because you can't see past the next year.  

3 hours ago, Dochalo said:

I'm so tired of watching this perpetual motion machine of .500 (or worse) baseball yet the wash rinse repeat of trying the same thing over and over and over with the same damn results. 

tldr - stop making stupid and/or worthless trades because you can't see past the next year.  

This has been my biggest gripe with this organization the past few years and I’ve said it many times. 

They’ve been straddling the line between rebuild and going for it and their record the last 5 years screams just that. They should’ve been selling off pieces the last few seasons.

I also don’t think it’s a coincidence that Minasian is looking like an extension of Eppler so far (although extremely early). I firmly believe Arte is the biggest problem with this organization. His unwillingness to rebuild puts these GM’s in extremely difficult spots. I think it plays a role in them acquiring the type of players you mentioned above versus young guys with future value. Arte signing these big free agent contracts only to turn around and say you need to stay within the luxury tax also complicates things. 

I was really hoping this year was going to be different with a new GM hire and Perry hiring a few guys himself. Maybe he wanted to feel things out this year and we’ll see who he really is this coming offseason but who knows anymore. 

19 hours ago, Angels Fan Forever said:

Canning and Adell for Berrios?

Giving up a lot of controllable years but it would take something like that I think.

I’d do Canning and Adell for Berrios in a heartbeat. I don’t think the Twins would though. 

35 minutes ago, CanadianHalo said:

This has been my biggest gripe with this organization the past few years and I’ve said it many times. 

They’ve been straddling the line between rebuild and going for it and their record the last 5 years screams just that. They should’ve been selling off pieces the last few seasons.

I also don’t think it’s a coincidence that Minasian is looking like an extension of Eppler so far (although extremely early). I firmly believe Arte is the biggest problem with this organization. His unwillingness to rebuild puts these GM’s in extremely difficult spots. I think it plays a role in them acquiring the type of players you mentioned above versus young guys with future value. Arte signing these big free agent contracts only to turn around and say you need to stay within the luxury tax also complicates things. 

I was really hoping this year was going to be different with a new GM hire and Perry hiring a few guys himself. Maybe he wanted to feel things out this year and we’ll see who he really is this coming offseason but who knows anymore. 

I’d do Canning and Adell for Berrios in a heartbeat. I don’t think the Twins would though. 

Berrios is controllable for one year. Wouldn't acquiring him for Canning and A Dell be an example of the type of trade you just argued against?

30 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

Berrios is controllable for one year. Wouldn't acquiring him for Canning and A Dell be an example of the type of trade you just argued against?

I was hesitant to add that second quote due to what was said in my first part. I think part of it is the fact I’m personally pretty low on Canning. Adell I like but the strikeouts will always be there and a corner outfielder is a lot easier to find than quality starting pitching. 

Berrios just turned 27. I have no issues with paying for quality pitching. Berrios is the type of TOR arm we can pair with Ohtani for years to come. I would view Berrios as a long term solution to a problem we’ve had for years. 

Others who view Canning differently I can understand why they wouldn’t make this trade due to controllable years and what not.

2 minutes ago, CanadianHalo said:

I was hesitant to add that second quote due to what was said in my first part. I think part of it is the fact I’m personally pretty low on Canning. Adell I like but the strikeouts will always be there and a corner outfielder is a lot easier to find than quality starting pitching. 

Berrios just turned 27. I have no issues with paying for quality pitching. Berrios is the type of TOR arm we can pair with Ohtani for years to come. I would view Berrios as a long term solution to a problem we’ve had for years. 

Others who view Canning differently I can understand why they wouldn’t make this trade due to controllable years and what not.

Again, Berrios is only controllable through next season. How would trading for him deliver a "long term solution" to anything? 

1 minute ago, jsnpritchett said:

Again, Berrios is only controllable through next season. How would trading for him deliver a "long term solution" to anything? 

By signing him long term… again, I’m willing to pay for quality. Instead of throwing 20 mill or so at the wall every offseason for a combination of guys like Bundy, Quintana, Teheran, etc…

28 minutes ago, CanadianHalo said:

By signing him long term… again, I’m willing to pay for quality. Instead of throwing 20 mill or so at the wall every offseason for a combination of guys like Bundy, Quintana, Teheran, etc…

Then sign him after next year and don't trade 2 assets for him unless you work out an extension ahead of time.