• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Official 2021 Trade Deadline Discussion Thread

6 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

Probably nothing will come from it but I was told we had scouts at today's Padres vs. Reds game.

I'd love it if they landed Castilo, Berrios, or Marquez...sign a mid-range SP this winter, maybe another depth guy, and hope the emergence of Sandoval, Suarez, and Detmers proves legit.

After that, just need to address SS, back-up catcher, and spend on the pen.

The Halos already have lefties Sandoval, Suarez, and soon Detmers.

Has to be Castillo they were scouting?

He struggled in April/May (7.20 ERA/1.80 WHIP) for the first time in MLB career.

But since June 4 over 38 innings: 2.30 ERA, 1.00 WHIP, 6.1 innings per start

Still only 28, not a FA until after 2023

Did the April/May struggles cut down the trade bait some?

2 hours ago, totdprods said:

I'd love it if they landed Castilo, Berrios, or Marquez...sign a mid-range SP this winter, maybe another depth guy, and hope the emergence of Sandoval, Suarez, and Detmers proves legit.

After that, just need to address SS, back-up catcher, and spend on the pen.

Either of those guys would be awesome, then to your point sign another FA arm. Maybe someone like Stroman?

1 hour ago, Chuckster70 said:

Either of those guys would be awesome, then to your point sign another FA arm. Maybe someone like Stroman?

There's several guys probably in the 'Stroman tier' that I think make sense...Rodriguez, Gausman, Matz, Pineda, Duffy, Gray, DeSclafani, Rodon, Wood, Ray, maybe Lynn, some much better/older/riskier/more expensive, but all have a reasonable outcome to live in a good #2-#3 range, not break the bank, and be a solid #4 at worst. And there's time for guys like Velazquez, Norris, Perez, Davies, even Bundy, Quintana, Heaney and Cobb to show something to work into that too. 

Deadline:

• Deal any vet possible; get fringe AAA depth (Buttrey, Reyes, Sandoval, Thaiss, Rojas, Rengifo types) or low-A boom-bust lotto tickets
    • Ideally, you get an MLB-ready decent/cheap back-up C or glove-first SS in there, plus a couple RP-types. Boom or bust low-levels focus on SP prospects (like Salvador). That should not be hard to ask for and receive.
  • From that same stash, deal Adell + for Berrios, Castillo, Marquez, or a similar frontline arm
    • Sorry, I like Adell but we need to try to win next two years and he isn't lighting it up. We need an arm, Ward is fine, and we still have Marsh, Adams, Martinez, Wilson, FA...

Offseason:

• Sign one of the vet SPs mentioned above, maybe a cheap vet flyer if we had to trade arms in the Adell deal
  • Add someone like Lorenzen or Norris who can start/relieve
  • If the money is there, sure, go hog and maybe sign someone like Semien, Taylor, Villar, or Crawford who won't command a huge deal, unless Rengifo kicks ass this fall. Keep an eye on star SS market for value.
  • Sign a closer, and then go a route similar to this winter, with a bunch of vets on cheap one-year deals and internal options. There's no sure-fire fix for the pen, this is easiest to tear-down and rebuild.

I don't think any of that is too fantastical, and it balances the MLB team and each rank of the minors out nicely.

• Rotation leans a lot to the youth, but should have a fearsome front with Ohtani, trade, and FA acquisitions, but we have a bunch of options to work with on the back. Lineup should continue to be fairly solid. Bullpen will always be a work of progress for every team, not just the Angels, keep it cheap and free of big contracts so you aren't stuck with deadweight in there
  • AAA has a nice stable of optionable arms in who we receive, plus Hernandez, Higgins, Warren, Wantz, and should have decent MLB position player depth still between other returns and current internal options now
  • AA should start to get a good chunk of arms from the strong A ball ranks this year (Killam, Smith, Salvador) to be tested
  • A ball should get the influx of minor league 'mashers' we're seeing in AZL, coupled with some lotto-ticket Salvador-type trade returns
Edited by totdprods

1 hour ago, totdprods said:

There's several guys probably in the 'Stroman tier' that I think make sense...Rodriguez, Gausman, Matz, Pineda, Duffy, Gray, DeSclafani, Rodon, Wood, Ray, maybe Lynn, some much better/older/riskier/more expensive, but all have a reasonable outcome to live in a good #2-#3 range, not break the bank, and be a solid #4 at worst. And there's time for guys like Velazquez, Norris, Perez, Davies, even Bundy, Quintana, Heaney and Cobb to show something to work into that too. 

Deadline:

• Deal any vet possible; get fringe AAA depth (Buttrey, Reyes, Sandoval, Thaiss, Rojas, Rengifo types) or low-A boom-bust lotto tickets
    • Ideally, you get an MLB-ready decent/cheap back-up C or glove-first SS in there, plus a couple RP-types. Boom or bust low-levels focus on SP prospects (like Salvador). That should not be hard to ask for and receive.
  • From that same stash, deal Adell + for Berrios, Castillo, Marquez, or a similar frontline arm
    • Sorry, I like Adell but we need to try to win next two years and he isn't lighting it up. We need an arm, Ward is fine, and we still have Marsh, Adams, Martinez, Wilson, FA...

Offseason:

• Sign one of the vet SPs mentioned above, maybe a cheap vet flyer if we had to trade arms in the Adell deal
  • Add someone like Lorenzen or Norris who can start/relieve
  • If the money is there, sure, go hog and maybe sign someone like Semien, Taylor, Villar, or Crawford who won't command a huge deal, unless Rengifo kicks ass this fall. Keep an eye on star SS market for value.
  • Sign a closer, and then go a route similar to this winter, with a bunch of vets on cheap one-year deals and internal options. There's no sure-fire fix for the pen, this is easiest to tear-down and rebuild.

I don't think any of that is too fantastical, and it balances the MLB team and each rank of the minors out nicely.

• Rotation leans a lot to the youth, but should have a fearsome front with Ohtani, trade, and FA acquisitions, but we have a bunch of options to work with on the back. Lineup should continue to be fairly solid. Bullpen will always be a work of progress for every team, not just the Angels, keep it cheap and free of big contracts so you aren't stuck with deadweight in there
  • AAA has a nice stable of optionable arms in who we receive, plus Hernandez, Higgins, Warren, Wantz, and should have decent MLB position player depth still between other returns and current internal options now
  • AA should start to get a good chunk of arms from the strong A ball ranks this year (Killam, Smith, Salvador) to be tested
  • A ball should get the influx of minor league 'mashers' we're seeing in AZL, coupled with some lotto-ticket Salvador-type trade returns

I agree.  Hey @Tank could you facilitate a lunch between totdprods and Minasian?

5 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

The Halos already have lefties Sandoval, Suarez, and soon Detmers.

Has to be Castillo they were scouting?

He struggled in April/May (7.20 ERA/1.80 WHIP) for the first time in MLB career.

But since June 4 over 38 innings: 2.30 ERA, 1.00 WHIP, 6.1 innings per start

Still only 28, not a FA until after 2023

Did the April/May struggles cut down the trade bait some?

Maybe Weathers for Adell

2 hours ago, Angels 1961 said:

Maybe Weathers for Adell

Adell's stock has dropped enough,  abs Weathers has risen enough that I believe this to be unlikely.  Perhaps if the Angels added to it, but even then, difficult to envision San Diego parting with another young SP after dealing away so much talent this winter.  

38 minutes ago, Second Base said:

Adell's stock has dropped enough,  abs Weathers has risen enough that I believe this to be unlikely.  Perhaps if the Angels added to it, but even then, difficult to envision San Diego parting with another young SP after dealing away so much talent this winter.  

You are right I'd just like to get someone like Weathers

3 hours ago, Angels 1961 said:

Maybe Weathers for Adell

If there was going to be a prospect for prospect trade, I'd look towards Atlanta and Marsh or Adell.

With Marcell Ozuna likely out of the picture and some struggles from Pache, Waters, and Camargo, and Riley moving to 3B, the Braves could use another long-term offensive piece to work around. They almost drafted Marsh, and the issues plaguing his health, losing his father, and Adell's question marks parallel some of the tradeability of guys like Kyle Wright, Kyle Muller, or Bryse Wilson. Touki, Jassell, or I guess Newcomb as well. Minasian will have a good idea across both orgs and could see a fit that works for both.

Astros have a ton of pitching prospects and a need for relievers - a lot of their AAA arms are R5 eligible this winter. Solomon, Conine, Hartman, France, Torres, Hansen, Dubin, Solis, Ivery, etc. They'd be a good team to match up with for Iglesias, or some of our other relievers. Their rotation is in need of depth too.

Padres have a good UT IF type blocked in Tucupita Marcano, and also a need for relievers.

Blue Jays have catching prospects and a need for relievers.

The problem with Heaney, Bundy, Quintana, and Cobb is that there's quite a few comparable (and better) SP arms available. Our relievers may be some of the more attractive options in a sort of thin class. 

13 hours ago, arch stanton said:

I don't know why the Cubs would give him up before they're eliminated. Maybe off season

They’ve lost 9 straight and are further out of the playoff race than the Angels are

16 hours ago, mmc said:

How do you guys feel about Craig Kimbrel, primarily as a move for next year?

One of my bold ‘21 predictions was the Angels would trade for a catcher, and I think I mentioned Contreras.

Still think it might happen. Not sure about Kimbrel but they could expand and make a blockbuster. Perry has been on several FOs that made big trades with 7-8+ players, and with Madison’s connections, I see plenty of reason for a big LAA-CHC blockbuster.

I hope the “we are not trading Marquez” stance is posturing so that when they trade him they can tell their fans that they never wanted to move him but that it was just impossible to pass up the stellar package they landed for him that included Jo Adell.