• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels minor leaguers blast Arte Moreno for terrible living conditions

mmc

47 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

I've never understood why people brag about working tough jobs that paid very little as if it's some badge of honor or something that proves your mettle. I wish you had been able to do all of those things at a higher wage. Why shouldn't we all want everyone to make a living wage? 

I got paid what the jobs were worth.  You missed the point.  You make your own way and stop this “my employer owes me an amount I need” garbage.

8 hours ago, mmc said:

Some of you are burying the lead by talking about their tough job beginnings and Lovegrove's bonus. I have plenty of stories about the jobs I had when I was in college in the 80's and what I did right out of college to start my career but I'm not going to go there. You know why? Because this is not about me. Some of you are completely missing the point here.

The point is Arte should be leading this organization in such a way as to make us competitive in all facets of the game. He is not. Hell, he won't even comment on it.

"Moreno did not respond to ESPN after request for comment."

This is really no different than the concerns many of us have with the lack of resources allocated to scouting and the international markets. We are not competing with our competition. That's on Arte. So is this.

"Cleveland redid their entire weight room, providing three meals a day. They were flying guys out," Lovegrove said. "They were giving a lot of players, not just their top prospects, the opportunity to seriously improve themselves under the eye of the organization, and in doing so, I think they produced significantly better players than they would have had their system operated like the Angels."

"Teams across baseball are making changes to their minor league systems, including the Giants, Boston Red Sox and New York Mets. The Giants previously were not paying salaries to players in extended spring training before changing their tune in June, according to SFGATE. The Red Sox are now offering additional benefits to minor leaguers, including extended spring training back pay and housing stipends retroactive to early May. The Mets joined 12 other teams in baseball in paying extended spring training players."

8 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

I got paid what the jobs were worth.  You missed the point.  You make your own way and stop this “my employer owes me an amount I need” garbage.

I did not miss the point.  If you're happy to work for pennies, then yay, I guess?  But there's no reason it needs to be that way.

31 minutes ago, beatlesrule said:

Is this something other owners are doing too? Is there like a league minimum of what needs to be provided for minor league players? Is he violating the rules in some way? If there is a minimum, is Arte not providing that?

MLB has an anti-trust exemption, and minor leaguers are essentially independent contractors. I’m not sure Arte legally has to pay them anything at all 😂

seems to be a theme with Arte:

1) changed the team name to the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim pissing off a lot of people

2) handled the Hamilton situation worse than almost any owner would have

3) Angels VP says they don't want poor fans cause they won't spend money

4) few years ago had Jesse Chavez and Bud Norris switch roles so they wouldn't hit measly $500k and $250K performance bonuses even though we were in the middle of a WC race only a few games back

5) now this: even by MLB's pathetic minor league standards apparently Arte has managed to reach a new low that stands out even amongst that low bar - is anyone surprised?

37 minutes ago, eligrba said:

Why is this a disgrace for Arte when it was MLB that set the salaries after convincing congress to exempt them from minimum wage requirements?

It’s because in addition to that Arte has opted not to feed them and expects them to provide their own membership to Planet Fitness.

This youtube guy (ex minor leaguer) goes over minor league pay and minor league system as a whole pretty good ,, also nobody has mentioned this yet but out of their monthly pay each player has to deduct 'clubhouse dues'  

Now the pay below was based on 2010 so will be fun to know how much/or little the MLB raised the monthly pay in 11 years ,, everything below is pre tax and pre clubhouse dues

* rookie ball to high A ball - $1,100 / month 

* AA - $1,500 / month

* AAA - $2,150 / month 

Google search saying current minor league pay is

* rookie ball to high A ball - $1,100 - $2,000 / month

* AA - $1,400 - $2,400 / month

* AAA - $2,000 - $2,800 / month 

1 minute ago, Make Angels Great Again said:

Can Arte afford to pay the minor leaguers more? Of course.

My CEO can also afford to pay off my car but I won't curse him because he chooses not to. I'll do what I have to do because whining won't fix anything.

You’d probably just choose to switch teams like any player can choose to do at any time, right?

2 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

You’d probably just choose to switch teams like any player can choose to do at any time, right?

Maybe they should find a way to make more money in their spare time. Being in the minor leagues for 9 years means baseball isn't working out I guess.