• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels minor leaguers blast Arte Moreno for terrible living conditions

mmc

I actually shared an apartment with four other dudes my junior year of college. It was a two-story, three-bedroom luxury apartment in Malibu that was $4,800 per month. I believe my share was like $850 because I shared the smaller room with another dude.

It was terrible. My roommate thought it would be cool to smoke weed with his buddies every night. He was also super messy, everywhere in the apartment.

2 minutes ago, Taylor said:

I actually shared an apartment with four other dudes my junior year of college. It was a two-story, three-bedroom luxury apartment in Malibu that was $4,800 per month. I believe my share was like $850 because I shared the smaller room with another dude.

It was terrible. My roommate thought it would be cool to smoke weed with his buddies every night. He was also super messy, everywhere in the apartment.

But you lived. 

You lived. 

30 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

Sold flowers on the street corner.

Worked as a dishwasher.

Waited tables.

Did janitorial work at night.

Worked as a painter.

Sanded boat bottoms by hand (fuck that was hard).

Drove a shuttle to the airport for $1 tips.

Shoveled rocks and dirt for cash.

Delivered pizza.

I could go on.

None of these jobs paid a “living wage” but I certainly lived.

And it all works out if you decide to take care of yourself and work hard and quit whining that somebody else owes you something.

I've never understood why people brag about working tough jobs that paid very little as if it's some badge of honor or something that proves your mettle. I wish you had been able to do all of those things at a higher wage. Why shouldn't we all want everyone to make a living wage? 

Just now, jsnpritchett said:

I've never understood why people brag about working tough jobs that paid very little as if it's some badge of honor or something that proves your mettle. I wish you had been able to do all of those things at a higher wage. Why shouldn't we all want everyone to make a living wage? 

Many boomers don't understand inflation.

1 minute ago, jsnpritchett said:

I suspect that it is because we live in a time when only certain jobs are worth doing….doing what needs to be done to pay the bills is honorable and should always be honored.

4 minutes ago, eligrba said:

I suspect that it is because we live in a time when only certain jobs are worth doing….doing what needs to be done to pay the bills is honorable and should always be honored.

I think you're misunderstanding my point.  I'm not looking down on the jobs themselves at all.  My point is that regardless of what the job is, we should want a world where that job can provide wages/a salary that someone can live on.  I don't see it as a GOOD thing that people have to talk about getting paid like shit, "doing whatever it takes," etc.

6 minutes ago, eligrba said:

I suspect that we live in a time when the cost of living has increased at an exponentially higher rate than the average wage has.

2 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

I think you're misunderstanding my point.  I'm not looking down on the jobs themselves at all.  My point is that regardless of what the job is, we should want a world where that job can provide wages/a salary that someone can live on.  I don't see it as a GOOD thing that people have to talk about getting paid like shit, "doing whatever it takes," etc.

Thanks for the clarification. You are much nicer than my wife in this type of situation. Can you cook?

6 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

Since when is $2500/month+ for a single guy not a living wage?

1 minute ago, Lou said:

Since when is $2500/month+ for a single guy not a living wage?

My first full-time job out of college, I made $3,000 per month (before taxes). I rented a casita from another family for $650, and had some disposable income but not much.