• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official Gerrit Cole (Please sign with the Angels) Thread

Chuck

I missed this little exchange. Hmmm. Fletcher isn’t one to buttercup us. But I can’t imagine that Phil Hughes wouldn’t be saying more if he knew. This is probably a nothingburger. 

Edited by jordan

38 minutes ago, jordan said:

I missed this little exchange. Hmmm. Fletcher isn’t one to buttercup us. But I can’t imagine that Phil Hughes wouldn’t be saying more if he knew. This is probably a nothingburger. 

I think Hughes was having fun with it and Fletcher is playing along with Hughes with this particular exchange.

Even if Hughes knows he also knows it’s not his place to say anything and take this moment away from Cole

I think Jeff is correct. It comes down to were he wants to play. Thankfully we’ve seen players pass up larger contracts to play for certain teams. Hopefully that is what happens with Cole. Maybe Cole believes he can get the team out of their mediocrity hole? Maybe he doesn’t want to be responsible for that? Only he knows 

11 minutes ago, junkorama said:

Honest question: was there ever a time anybody on this board truly had a clue a decent amount of time ahead of the Angels dumping a shit ton of money on any particular player?

If you answer in the affirmative: F#%k Yu. You're lying.

Yes, one person on here let some of us know that Trout was going to sign an extension

22 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Yes, one person on here let some of us know that Trout was going to sign an extension

That is the absolute exception to the rule and I guess that I should have added the caveat that it didn't include Trout, especially after we'd all already seen him sign an extension with the Angels once before.

7 minutes ago, calscuf said:

I’m sure this has made its way here, I’m not going to read through 30 pages to verify.

https://www.nj.com/yankees/2008/06/posada_set_to_go_today.html

”Cole is a lifelong Yankees fan. He was photographed at the 2001 World Series holding a sign that read, "Yankee Fan Today Tomorrow Forever."  He explained that his father grew up in Syracuse, N.Y., a Yankees fan "and he kind of passed it down." 

I'm not saying that they won't sign him, but this is the kind of idiocy that made it so hard for some Phillies fans to even comprehend the Trout extension. These guys get paaaaid. They can make whatever kind of life they want to for themselves,  anywhere, with the exception of proximity to family (and friends). Furthermore,  it's not like they usually aren't relatively immune to the feelings associated with distance from family by the time they are able to sign a big ass contract such as the one Cole will get.

15 minutes ago, calscuf said:

I’m sure this has made its way here, I’m not going to read through 30 pages to verify.

”Cole is a lifelong Yankees fan. He was photographed at the 2001 World Series holding a sign that read, "Yankee Fan Today Tomorrow Forever."  He explained that his father grew up in Syracuse, N.Y., a Yankees fan "and he kind of passed it down." 

This is an article from April 2. I believe Claude found it and got a three-quarter chub.

Thanks for sharing, craigscuf!

39 minutes ago, calscuf said:

Gerrit-Cole-Yankee-fan-832x447.jpg

Because allegiances at age 11 never shift. In high school I was wearing backward baby blue North Carolina Tar Heels hats. Now I mostly root for San Diego State or a Pac-12 squad, or any mid major entering the tournament. 

And as a child, while I was firmly an Angels fan first and foremost, there are pictures of me wearing a Yankees hat, as I was raised in a family that rooted for the Yankees.

Gerrit Cole's decision will have a lot more to do with 2020 than it does 2000.