• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official Gerrit Cole (Please sign with the Angels) Thread

Chuck

2 minutes ago, greginpsca said:

Walk away & go to plan B. A contract like that will screw the team over for years. Like the Pooholes deal.  With the Angels luck, Cole goes under TJ  after 10 starts.  If it was an everyday player, i would say yes. But not for a pitcher. That  contract could keep us from being competitive for another decade. Let the Yankees have him.

This is so stupid I'm not even going to bother. 

Every offseason its the same crap..."contracts are ridiculous, walk away, let another team pay that, that move will cripple us financially, etc...", at some point you pull the trigger and commit; what other combination of players is going to have the impact a top 3 pitcher in baseball would have? We don't seem to be players for Rendon right now, he seems likely to be a Ranger or a Dodger...

We make big market money, its time to spend like a big market team. We've sat idle for long enough letting the stain of CJ and Hamilton go; Pujols is done in 2 years...bite the bullet and act like a big market team instead of always complaining about them. 

32 minutes ago, floplag said:

More like those of us saying pass are concerned that its Cole and nothing else if we do it.
Im 100% ok with it as long as it isnt used as an excuse for not doing more, which i fear it would be. 
IF its not, and hes willing to do that AND more, then go ham Arte you have my support.

This is how I view it. Until shown otherwise, there's nothing to indicate to us that Arte would blow past the luxury tax threshold.

46 minutes ago, True Grich said:

I'm guessing the same people who are saying Cole is going to cost too much are the same people who think Mike Trout's career is being wasted.

This is the price of doing business in baseball today.  It's not for the feint of heart. 

How badly does Arte want to win?  "Whatever it takes" is not a statement to be taken lightly.

Sign Cole.  Just do it.

Agreed. But “whatever it takes” shouldn’t stop once Cole is signed then. 

1 minute ago, bloodbrother said:

This is how I view it. Until shown otherwise, there's nothing to indicate to us that Arte would blow past the luxury tax threshold.

No no were stupid  to go off whats been said in the past and should just trust everyone that uses the force to assume they know better even though weve clearly said were ok with it if they plan to do more.

1 minute ago, floplag said:

No no were stupid  to go off whats been said in the past and should just trust everyone that uses the force to assume they know better even though weve clearly said were ok with it if they plan to do more.

That's 100% what people, especially myself, have said. Verbatim. You basically quoted me. 

2 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

That's 100% what people, especially myself, have said. Verbatim. You basically quoted me. 

yes i did, but not to highlight its accuracy... but then im sure you already knew that
If you have some proof that they intend to blow past it, lay it on us, ill back you all the way. 

3 minutes ago, floplag said:

yes i did, but not to highlight its accuracy... but then im sure you already knew that
If you have some proof that they intend to blow past it, lay it on us, ill back you all the way. 

Who said they intend to blow past the luxury tax? I didn't. We have enough room to get Cole and more.

With all the butthurt I am reading about a contract like this crippling our organization, there has never been a game changing free agent pitcher like this available to us. This is the guy that you overpay for. If he is signed who is to say that he would be the only acquisition? We are just assuming that. Angels have never said anything about it.  Give Cole opt outs. You'd still be getting him for his most productive years (the next 3-4). 

1 minute ago, tdawg87 said:

Shut the fuck up, Boras. 

It's hard to draw any other conclusion. I've spent hours today reading stories and Twitter. 99% of it - that's not an exaggeration - is about the Yankees being close to signing Cole. Nothing has mentioned the Angels being a player in any context other than "If the Angels want Cole, they're going to really have to step up their offer!"

7 minutes ago, southpaw said:

With all the butthurt I am reading about a contract like this crippling our organization, there has never been a game changing free agent pitcher like this available to us. This is the guy that you overpay for. If he is signed who is to say that he would be the only acquisition? We are just assuming that. Angels have never said anything about it.  Give Cole opt outs. You'd still be getting him for his most productive years (the next 3-4). 

What butthurt?  What part of its fine as long as its not all we do isnt being understood here?

Heyman is overblowing this convincing thing. We are two pitchers, and maybe 1 offensive piece away from being a playoff team, IMO. Maybe less if most things go right for us. We sell Cole on Mike Trout, Ohtani as a pitcher and a hitter, the defense behind him, the young prospects such as Canning and Sandoval, and the young talent about to take the next step in Adell and Marsh and how they could either be pieces that add to this team or for the right price, trade bait. There is no need to fucking keep harping on this convincing thing. We aren't the Detroit Tigers or the Marlins; we are on the verge and Cole puts its in contention. 

The Angels need to begin adding some high quality players.  If Cole costs 300 million, move on and let him live in NY. 

Arte needs to make an aggressive offer and let the outcome be what is will be.  The reason why Ohtani and Trout picked the Angels should also be the reason why Cole picks the Angels.

26 minutes ago, floplag said:

THIS.
If he plans to do more, go for it... if Cole is all we get and the budget is dry, not so much 

I'd lean towards Cole and then one of Ryu/Bumgarner/Teheran. We need two solid pieces.
I'd lean towards Cole and then trading top prospects (not Adell) for a number 2 starter and signing Maldonado
I'd MAYBE lean towards Cole and then trading for Contreras

I won't lean towards Cole and Maldonado and that's it. That gets us nowhere.