• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official Gerrit Cole (Please sign with the Angels) Thread

Chuck

Seriously, I just started replacing the words Jon Heyman with Scott Boras and it makes his tweets so much more entertaining and telling. 

My interpretation: A deal is close, this is Boras’ way of saying ‘going once, going twice’ and seeing if anyone wants to chip in with something crazy last minute - while also giving the bidders (NYY, LAA) a shot to raise their offer.

I’m sticking with my guess that Cole signs with the Angels tonight, 9/$315m.

I get there feeling a lot of Angels fans are filling with dread because they're competing with the Yankees and Dodgers for his services, and the media has pretreated this as practically a slam dunk for the Yankees. 

It's not like that at all. Simply look at the facts, and you'll see despite the reporting, seeing the Angels as ANYTHING but the heavy favorites is an alternative view.

Yankees: They're trying to cut payroll everywhere they can right now. Scrambling. They're going to try and screw Ellsbury out of his salary and dump JA Happ, and even if they found a taker on ALL of Happ's salary and won their case against Ellsbury, signing Cole would still look them back over the luxury tax again, with no room the rest of the Winter or next winter to add any arms. Not only that, their offer wasn't accepted immediately, and do you really think it's any coincidence that once their proposal is made, we hear reports of them attempting to cut payroll?

Guys the fact is, the Yankees proposal was low, their payroll is already in an awful place and that's looking at it optimistically. They are doing everything they can to strengthen it, but right now they have a snowball's chance in hell of doing so.

Dodgers: Not one single major free agent pitching contract for that front office. Not in LA or TB. It's not their MO. They develop their pitching, and resign their pitching. But they've never spent 200 million on a free agent starter, nor would it be smart for them to. The Dodgers will come in with a super high AAV contact at like 4 years and 160 million. Maybe that's what Cole is looking for and re-entering FA at age 32, but I have my doubts.

Angels: Cole's hometown team. Have a clear need. Have the payroll space. Have Trout and Ohtani. Have the right coaching staff in place to win. Have a strong farm system to supplement the roster, and are all-in on winning. This team and this owner have made it clear they are fully invested in winning and winning right now. They can sign Cole and quite a bit more and still have a better payroll outlook than the Yankees.

------- The Angels are the logical favorites here.

to me this is similar to the Ohtani Sweepstakes. 

The Media was just applauding Jerry and the moves he was making.

While we stayed quiet, silently made our attack. 

Its the same,

Heyman reporting all this about the Yankees, yet we have been quiet.

Looks at the Happ rumor getting all the light, but no one has paid attention to the angels clearing a 40 man roster.  

4 minutes ago, Second Base said:

Yankees: They're trying to cut payroll everywhere they can right now. Scrambling. They're going to try and screw Ellsbury out of his salary and dump JA Happ, and even if they found a taker on ALL of Happ's salary and won their case against Ellsbury, signing Cole would still look them back over the luxury tax again, with no room the rest of the Winter or next winter to add any arms. Not only that, their offer wasn't accepted immediately, and do you really think it's any coincidence that once their proposal is made, we hear reports of them attempting to cut payroll?

Guys the fact is, the Yankees proposal was low, their payroll is already in an awful place and that's looking at it optimistically. They are doing everything they can to strengthen it, but right now they have a snowball's chance in hell of doing so.

This is what I’m thinking as well. With news coming out that the Yanks are trying to dump Happ on someone hurt Boras negotiations with the Angels.

Now Boras throws out a mystery team since the Angels feel like they’re possibly bidding against themselves right now. 

Really good post btw