• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official Gerrit Cole (Please sign with the Angels) Thread

Chuck

2 minutes ago, mymerlincat said:

And it took 95 wins to make the playoffs in the AL.  No top AL team is going to get considerably worse unless the Astros get hit with a serious punishment, and teams like the Rangers, White Sox, and Indians (who just missed the playoffs) are all looking to improve.  And that's just getting into the playoffs.  We are not going to be able to sell Cole on immediately joining a contender like the Yankees will be able to do.  There is no possible way for us to do that, unless, like I stated previously, Strasburg and Rendon are joining him.

This just isn’t accurate. Until the bottom fell out with starting pitching, we were competing with the top teams. Then Skaggs died, Cahill and Harvey sucked, and it dragged everything else down. 

This year? Our coaching staff is monumentally better. Everyone is healthy. Ohtani is pitching (as opposed to last year). Canning has more development. Adell - a top five prospect - is on the verge of making the show. 

Calling us a 90 loss team just isn’t accurate. It’s either disingenuous or ignorant. It won’t stand up to serious scrutiny. 

Cole will go where he’s paid the most. Unless he is committed to being a Yankee. Spurning them after being drafted suggests he isn’t. 

11 minutes ago, Sean-Regan said:

This just isn’t accurate. Until the bottom fell out with starting pitching, we were competing with the top teams. Then Skaggs died, Cahill and Harvey sucked, and it dragged everything else down. 

This year? Our coaching staff is monumentally better. Everyone is healthy. Ohtani is pitching (as opposed to last year). Canning has more development. Adell - a top five prospect - is on the verge of making the show. 

Calling us a 90 loss team just isn’t accurate. It’s either disingenuous or ignorant. It won’t stand up to serious scrutiny. 

Cole will go where he’s paid the most. Unless he is committed to being a Yankee. Spurning them after being drafted suggests he isn’t. 

Look, you're an Angels fan.  It's expected that you will have a very optimistic view of the team mixed with a bit of homerism, because you're a fan of the team.  Gerrit Cole is one of the best pitchers in the league looking to secure the biggest contract for a free agent pitcher of all time.  He is not going to have that type of optimism.  Ultimately, he will probably sign with whoever gives him the most money.  But if the Angels and Yankees are neck and neck, and winning now is more important to him then going back to OC, we by no means have the edge in that regard.

I’d like to point out that the notion the Astros won’t be significantly worse is silly.  They are losing the best pitcher in baseball.  If we are going to question Ohtani and how he will pitch after surgery then we should look at McHugh the same way.   They won 107 games which even if they bring back the same team isn’t something that should be expected.  I truly believe even without Cole they are the class of the division but would anyone be surprised if they only won 95 games. That’s not even getting into possible sanctions or the very least the inability to cheat.  
None of this is me saying the Angels are better, it’s simply the Astros shouldn’t be thought of as  a team that won’t take a step back. 

4 minutes ago, mymerlincat said:

Look, you're an Angels fan.  It's expected that you will have a very optimistic view of the team mixed with a bit of homerism, because you're a fan of the team.  Gerrit Cole is one of the best pitchers in the league looking to secure the biggest contract for a free agent pitcher of all time.  He is not going to have that type of optimism.  Ultimately, he will probably sign with whoever gives him the most money.  But if the Angels and Yankees are neck and neck, and winning now is more important to him then going back to OC, we by no means have the edge in that regard.

So, you’re not a fan of the Angels?  You aren’t optimistic, so does that disqualify you as a fan?  I wouldn’t think it would just like I wouldn’t say being optimistic is a trait you have to have.  

2 minutes ago, Stradling said:

So, you’re not a fan of the Angels?  You aren’t optimistic, so does that disqualify you as a fan?  I wouldn’t think it would just like I wouldn’t say being optimistic is a trait you have to have.  

I'm saying Gerrit Cole will not share the optimism Angels fans have with their team.  I don't care if fans are optimistic or not, but you can't expect a guy like Cole to realistically have the same hope.

Just now, mymerlincat said:

I'm saying Gerrit Cole will not share the optimism Angels fans have with their team.  I don't care if fans are optimistic or not, but you can't expect a guy like Cole to realistically have the same hope.

Ok, but Cole also grew up a fan of both teams.  

5 minutes ago, mymerlincat said:

But Trout did? You’re talking in circles as far as I can see. If Trout was willing to believe we were close to contention with as good as long term window as anyone else, why couldn’t Cole be convinced of the same? You say my opinion is wrong because I’m a homer, but yours is automatically right because you’re...what’s exactly? Pessimism and realism aren’t the same thing. Just because I’m more optimistic than you are about our chances doesn’t mean your view is more objective or realistic. 

1 minute ago, Sean-Regan said:

But Trout did? You’re talking in circles as far as I can see. If Trout was willing to believe we were close to contention with as good as long term window as anyone else, why couldn’t Cole be convinced of the same? You say my opinion is wrong because I’m a homer, but yours is automatically right because you’re...what’s exactly? Pessimism and realism aren’t the same thing. Just because I’m more optimistic than you are about our chances doesn’t mean your view is more objective or realistic. 

Trout was been with us his whole career, and has a personal relationship with the front office, of course he's going to have more hope for this team than a guy like Cole, are you seriously comparing them?

Even if the Astros brought back Gerrit Cole, they still wouldn't be a 107 win team. That's with three teams in the division being absolute dog doodoo. The A's are getting some young reinforcements on the mound. The Angels.... Seem committed to winning and flexing some financial might. The Rangers have a rotation. If the Angels do indeed get Cole/Strasburg and then some back on the mound, with Ohtani and a new coaching staff, then there will be 3 teams in this division with between 90-100 wins and it's ANYONE'S guess as to what order they will be in.

2 minutes ago, Sean-Regan said:

I think mycat was just describing the difference between a team that can win it all with Cole in 2020 vs a team that is still most likely chasing a wild card. 

53 minutes ago, mymerlincat said:

Trout was been with us his whole career, and has a personal relationship with the front office, of course he's going to have more hope for this team than a guy like Cole, are you seriously comparing them?

Okay, so Trout and I are both biased. Ohtani? He signed with us. Presumably he wasn’t told that we’re going to be 90 loss team. 

You seem to be confusing defeatism with realism. Neither of us knows what Cole will do, or who will spend the most money, or what his priorities are. I just find the notion that he wouldn’t consider the Angels competitive to be strange. We have one big hole - starting pitching. Cole takes over from the worst pitcher practically creates a 10 win shift by itself. We aren’t that far from contention. It doesn’t take a homer to see that. 

9 minutes ago, Bronson said:

Lol Yankees fans are actually worried now because no one is talking about us at all. They know Arte can get crazy if he really wants something.

I think the fact no one is talking about us is actually a very good thing.

Same thing with Ohtani. Angels were barely talked about. All the buzz was on the Mariners and Padres.