• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

What have you watched recently? (Please use the hide function for spoilers or plot lines)

dallas buyers club.

McConaughey and jared leto were great - but the movie in general i though was just OK.

the pacing felt off the entire time.

and just not the best writing IMO.

they tried to do too much without getting deep enough into certain characters, background etc that it seemed far-fetched.

jennifer garner seemed miscast (and her character was somewhat unnecessary). 

Just getting into Breaking Bad.  I must be one of the few never to have seen this show.  Now I'm on season 2, and damn its getting really good. Loving it.

Somm: A documentary about 4 guys studying and taking the extremely difficult Master Sommelier exam. If you like wine you'll enjoy this. Could've shortened it by 20 mins, but overall it was enjoyable.

Better half watches Orange is the New Black. I'll sit and watch pieces here and there. I'm not into it, but find myself sitting there longer than someone that dislikes it. Watched enough that I won't watch the series, but it doesn't look bad.....just too much else on.

dallas buyers club.

McConaughey and jared leto were great - but the movie in general i though was just OK.

the pacing felt off the entire time.

and just not the best writing IMO.

they tried to do too much without getting deep enough into certain characters, background etc that it seemed far-fetched.

jennifer garner seemed miscast (and her character was somewhat unnecessary). 

You hit the nail on the head. Great acting in a so-so movie. The last 1/3 of it seemed way out of whack. Garner's character seemed unnecessary because it was a character that the screenwriter made up to help the story arc. Same with Leto's character (although I thought his character was an integral part of the movie). Neither Leto's or Garner's characters ever actually existed in real life. I saw McConaughey on Inside the Actors Studio and he said that the only character that was real was his.

Just watched the remake of "Cape Fear" again last night.  I remember it having some scary moments back when it came out but now it seems a bit schlock-y.  Of course it did give us the "Cape Feare" episode of the Simpsons, which was one of the best that show ever did.

Edited by Glen

Just watched the remake of "Cape Fear" again last night.  I remember it having some scary moments back when it came out but now it seems a bit schlock-y.  Of course it did give us the "Cape Feare" episode of the Simpsons, which was one of the best that show ever did.

Yeah, that Simpsons episode is way up there. That and the X-Files episode are in my Top 10.

Saw 300:  Rise of an Empire.

If you liked the first 300, you will love this film.  If you didn't, then it might not be for you.  And if you haven't seen the first 300, then some parts of the movie might not make any sense.  I liked how they did the story.  

• 2 weeks later...

Watched American Hustle last night.  

Highly overrated, IMO.  It's barely a good movie.  The performances, in isolation, were excellent, though.  

It's funny because as I was watching it, the phrase that came to mind was "wannabe Scorsese."  But Wolf of Wall Street was also disappointing to me, so it's like I didn't get a real Scorsese movie this year like I was hoping for, either.  

Both films could have been better if the editing had been a little more precise.

I'll agree on American Hustle. The story was just kinda all over the place. It didn't help that the only likable character in the movie was Carmine.

I saw The Hunger Games: Catching Fire last night for the first time. They did a fantastic job on that one. Great all around movie.

Have been home on "vacation" so I've watched quite a few movies, probably even more than normal.

A few Sidney Lumet movies:

The Verdict - A great courtroom drama. Probably would make a great pairing with Lumet's 12 Angry Men as a look at two different cases from different perspectives.

Serpico - Pacino is great. Very tempted to check out Prince of the City soon to tie in with Serpico.

Murder on the Orient Express - Fun whodunit with a great cast.

Deathtrap - Fun twist and turn thriller starring Michael Caine and Christopher Reeve. Reminded me a lot of Sleuth that also stars Michael Caine, but while it's fun, it's nowhere near as good as Sleuth, which I'd highly recommend.

A couple Steven Soderbergh movies:

King of the Hill - loved this movie Listening to interviews, seems like Soderbergh isn't a huge fan of this among his movies, but it's definitely one of my favorites of his.

The Underneath - takes a while to pick up, but a fairly decent crime thriller. William Fichtner is awesome.

A couple new movies:

Cheap Thrills - fun dark comedic thriller with an interesting premise that progresses pretty predictably but still fun.

Only Lovers Left Alive - love Jarmusch but was a little skeptical going in to this because I'm a little vampired-out but I liked this a lot. Very early in the year, so it's not saying much, but might be favorite thing I've seen so far.

Also re-watched Gravity, Inside Llewyn Davis and Captain Phillips. Inside Llewyn Davis remains my favorite movie of 2013, though still enjoy the other two a lot.

finally saw american hustle.

thought it was pretty boring, decent but way overhyped.

the acting was good but they didn't really mesh well.

felt just like a bunch of current stars playing dress-up trying to mimic a scorsese movie...

but without the excellent dialogue, story, pacing and cinematography of a scorsese film.

first hour was lame, got better towards the end though.

the "science oven" scene was funny.

Edited by mrwicked

Watched a doc called "Last Days Here." About the singer from the classic metal band Pentagram, Bobby Liebling. Really well made documentary. Interesting. Highly recommended to anybody who wants to see how low some musicians (and people in general) can sink only to attempt to fight their way back. 

• 2 weeks later...

Watched a doc called "Milius." About screewriter/director John Milius. Good stuff. Highly recommended to anybody who is interested in the way Hollywood worked back in the 70s and 80s. Spielberg, Scorsese, Coppola, Lucas, plus a ton of actors are all interviewed. Very interesting.

Edited by Ray McKigney

American Hustle: Pretty average. I didn't think it was overhyped as much as it being a best pic nominee one think it was a lot better. It was ok.

Dallas Buyers Club: Good flick, I just think it was as great or emotional as people made it seem.

The Counselor: I wanted to like it, but see why it has a 5/10 on imdb. I was also reminded how terrible of an actress Cameron Diaz is. I can't buy anything she sells.

has anyone watched Turn yet? it's the period piece about the first U.S. spy ring, from the Revolutionary War. i dvr'd last nights episode but haven't watched it yet and was just wondering about general impressions.