• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

What have you watched recently? (Please use the hide function for spoilers or plot lines)

I liked this thread from the old board. This community got me to watch a lot of good movies and a lot more shitty ones.

So what say you?

What movies, documentaries, or television shows or series have you watched recently or are currently watching? 

Edited by Brandon

We grabbed two Red Box movies last night.

For A Good Time Call... (this is obviously not my pick and why I was so active on here late last night). Movie sucked, she said it sucked, don't bother or warn the ladies gents.

The Master. Good acting, but turned it off about half way in. Just not interesting, slow, and kind of out there in an artsy kind of way.

Completely disagree about The Master though I could easily understand not liking if that's just not your thing. Watched it on Tuesday after picking up the Blu-Ray and it was probably my favorite film of last year. I think Daniel Day-Lewis is probably the best working today, but it's a little baffling how he was the clear cut favorite the whole time for the Oscar for Best Actor for Lincoln over Joaquin Phoenix in The Master.

Other movies I watched recently:

Frozen - 6/10

Fairly enjoyable thriller that takes place almost entirely on a ski-lift. 

Cul-de-sac - 7/10

Not among Roman Polanski's best movies but still got some fun out of it. Starring a younger Donald Pleasance.

Seance on a Wet Afternoon - 9/10

Great 1960's thriller starring Richard Attenborough and Kim Stanley. 

Completely disagree about The Master though I could easily understand not liking if that's just not your thing. Watched it on Tuesday after picking up the Blu-Ray and it was probably my favorite film of last year. I think Daniel Day-Lewis is probably the best working today, but it's a little baffling how he was the clear cut favorite the whole time for the Oscar for Best Actor for Lincoln over Joaquin Phoenix in The Master.

Other movies I watched recently:

Frozen - 6/10

Fairly enjoyable thriller that takes place almost entirely on a ski-lift. 

Cul-de-sac - 7/10

Not among Roman Polanski's best movies but still got some fun out of it. Starring a younger Donald Pleasance.

Seance on a Wet Afternoon - 9/10

Great 1960's thriller starring Richard Attenborough and Kim Stanley. 

I agree with you about Joaquin Phoenix. He was GREAT in The Master. The movie isn't for everybody (there aren't any car chases or explosions), but I thought it was great. The scene with Joaquin Phoenix and PSH, where they do the "Processing" for the first time is incredible. I also thought it was funny that they liked to get hammered on his paint thinner concoction.

I agree with you about Joaquin Phoenix. He was GREAT in The Master. The movie isn't for everybody (there aren't any car chases or explosions), but I thought it was great. The scene with Joaquin Phoenix and PSH, where they do the "Processing" for the first time is incredible. I also thought it was funny that they liked to get hammered on his paint thinner concoction.

I also thought his little tantrum in the jail cell was kind of impressive after reading that the toilet wasn't supposed to break. Just all the physicality in the film of him hitting people and getting hit as it was all real added a bit to his performance and the movie in general.

And yeah, I actually thought overall, the film had a ton of comedy it. Way more than I expected it to.

Maybe one day I'll give The Master another try. I wasn't in the mood to watch it and nothing just grabbed me or kept me engaged. Phoenix and PSH were really solid. I think I turned it off right after he got arrested and they both were in their cells. 

As for other recent viewings:

House of Cards- 9/10

Did a marathon type sitting and was greatly captivated. On a side note, David Fincher is doing a gig at LACMA on the 7th that seems to be a detailed Q&A type of thing followed by the first two episodes. Just a really well written show with great acting, especially Spacey.

Skyfall- 8/10

Really good film in it's own right, but many were saying it's the best Bond ever and I didn't think it lived up to that hype. So kind of disappointed, but overall can't discredit the film as a good movie.

Sons of Anarchy- 8/10

Finally bit on this one and did another marathon format type of viewing. Some lulls or jumping the shark, but overall a really well put together show. Nothing really deviates from normal type of formulas, but I don't find a character particularly annoying or bothersome that is kind of distracting for a series (Betty in Mad Men, Skyler in Breaking Bad, Carmella in Sopranos). The twists and turns are top notch.

Probably going to marathon Hell on Wheels and The Shield soon.

I think you'd really like it Rally. One of the shows I bit on from hype and reviews, but actually surpassed expectation.

How is Game of Thrones? I don't think I will like it so I haven't tried it, but the reviews seem to be off the charts for the show. I read the synopsis, is it more fantasy based like Willow or a bit more barbaric and dark like Braveheart? I'm leaning towards wanting to give this a try.

I also thought his little tantrum in the jail cell was kind of impressive after reading that the toilet wasn't supposed to break. Just all the physicality in the film of him hitting people and getting hit as it was all real added a bit to his performance and the movie in general.

And yeah, I actually thought overall, the film had a ton of comedy it. Way more than I expected it to.

I don't think a lot people recognized the humor in it. In my opinion, the Freddie Quell character was meant to be funny in a sad, helpless sort of way. Which was why Lancaster Dodd kept him around. The scene where Freddie basically loses it and accosts the guy when he's taking his picture while working at the department store was great.

I did laugh when PSH was in a heated argument with some random dude in front of a crowded room at a party then at the end Phoenix just randomly throws a sandwich at the dude that hits him in the chest.

Yeah, that was funny. My only real complaint about the movie was that the Amy Adams character was annoying as hell. But, maybe that was the point. Not sure, but she bugged me quite a bit. I just wanted her to shut up.

I didn't find her bothersome, but that was my initial gripe....nothing attached to me or got me to care enough.

I rented what I assume will be straight to video movie (I never heard about it in the theaters), Deadfall with Eric Bana and Olivia Wilde.

Probably one of those popcorn flicks I watch once and am glad I watched it for free (see my Red Box thread).

Warrior

Great ****ing movie.

As good as "The Warriors"? (I'm sure they're entirely different, but that's what popped into my head.

Been watching a few on-demand shows...

The Following on Fox.  Pretty entertaining, if you like the idea of Hannibal Lector running a cult of serial killers from Federal Prison.

Walking Dead.  I'm a zombie fanatic; the kind who buys even the worst zombie flicks on dvd.  I don't know if I could have held it together as long as Rick has...

Dexter, Homeland on Showtime.  Dexter is amazing; I don't know how they keep it feeling fresh this long.  Homeland came-up with a shock-ending to season two, just when I thought it was out of gas.

EastBound and Down.... Kenny F*ing Powers!

Late at night, I'll throw-in one of the classic baseball flicks; it's that time of year again!