• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

What have you watched recently? (Please use the hide function for spoilers or plot lines)

Watched a few recent movies recently.

Two documentaries:

Jodorowsky's Dune - 7/10

Decent talking heads documentary about Alejandro Jodorowsky's failed attempt to gather an all-star team of people to participate in the adaptation of Frank Herbert's novel before David Lynch got his shot. I like Jodorowosky's films a lot (the couple that I've seen) and I love him as a personality, but the documentary is a little repetitive and talking about a how amazing this film could have been. Still a fun and interesting documentary, just not amaizing.

Tim's Vermeer - 9/10

Great documentary directed by Teller (of Penn & Teller) about Penn & Teller's friend Tim Jenison and his obsession with Vermeer's paintings and methods. Goes into a lot about the difference between art and technology and where they converge and coexist. This and another documentary called Mistaken for Strangers are a couple of my recent favorites. 

And also caught a new film at a local indie theater directed by Jim Mickle:

Cold in July (7/10). Stars Michael C. Hall, Sam Shepard, and Don Johnson. Very '80s stylish neo-noir, kind of reminds of the Coen Brothers' Blood Simple a bit, but not quite as a good. The movie is pretty messy and all over the place and quickly moves from one plot point to the next and sacrifices a bit in doing so, but the tone and plot are enough for me to at least just enjoy the movie for what it is.

And one more, not quite as indie:

X-Men Days of Future Past - 9/10

Very much enjoyed this. Love the setting and structure. Might be my favorite of the X-Men series thus far (First Class and X2 are close as well) and reminds me of how much I prefer these movies over any of the Marvel Studios movies, though I don't dislike them.

Edited by Sam Sanchez

Had a couple 9 hour flights recently and watched 4 movies I had never seen all the way through.

Anchorman 2 -I guess it had its moments but I expect more from a cast like that. 40 somethings doing high school scenes.

We're The Millers - Couldn't get all the way to the end. Found myself wishing they'd stopped off at the Titty Twister and gotten devoured by vampires.

Dallas Buyers Club - It held my attention but I'm glad I didn't pay money for it.

The Graduate - I like watching older movies to see the evolution of character development and dialogue. Maybe I'm too literal but it bugged me that he abandoned his brand new car and didn't even bother to put the top up. Then watching the little Jewish kid take on the army of Aryan giants by swinging a cross in the church seemed like some writer's symbolic middle finger..I give my middle finger for all the copycats of stopping the wedding at the altar that this movie spawned.

Chef - 9/10.  Good movie, better soundtrack.  Thoroughly enjoyable film, especially if you love cooking.  I do in the abstract; I'm not a good cook by any means but I can certainly appreciate good cooking when I see it.  Plus, I kinda dig Jon Favreau so I was predisposed to like this.

Enlisted (TV show, unfortunately cancelled) - 10/10.  Anybody who has been in the military can appreciate this show.  It's even funny if you haven't been in, but if you have it's better.  The episode where they're preparing for a visit from a General brought back memories of every damn time I had to do that kind of prep in the Navy.  This show also has the awesome Keith David in it, dude is funny in everything he does.

Edited by Glen

Captain Phillips. I thought the movie was meh (minus the last 30 minutes) and the acting was even meher (minus T.Hanks)

Just saw this last night.  I thought it was ok, though it had lots of missing plot-points (can be excused, since it's over two hours already).  I will do some more research into it, as I'm not really buying-into Captain Phillips being that in-tune with security on-board (to the extent that he walks the entire perimeter of the ship, inspecting).

I think the best acting was from the Somali-pirates; it's pretty accurate from what I've heard of their demeanor, etc.

The best thing to come out of it, was how the SEALS are portrayed as the "quiet-professionals" they really are:  They handled business, and rode-off into the sunset without a parade.

Edge of Tomorrow - 8/10

Surprisingly very good. Just what I feel a blockbuster should be, entertaining and funny. Pretty easy to just say it's Groundhog Day meets something like Starship Troopers but that's what it is. 

Willow Creek - 5/10

Let down by this movie. Had heard a lot of good things about Bobcat Goldthwait's new movie, and that it was more than just a "found-footage Bigfoot movie", but that's all it is really. There's a couple suspenseful scenes and there's nothing terrible about it, it's simply really middle-of-the-road stuff.

Fargo. Wasn't sure FX could pull it off, but it has been pretty damn entertaining.

Another good FX show is The Bridge. Taken (plot for plot) from a Swedish mini series (I have since watched that one with subtitles)

Second season should be coming soon.

A couple of older, or lesser known BBC shows..

Luthur ( I see others here have found that one)

Wallender. Dark but well done.

Watched all the old Inspector Morse this year, and the prequel Endeavour is really good also.

A Touch of Frost.

Really liked Doc Martin. Quirky people in a beautiful Cornish coastal setting. Light entertainment, but good writing.

Still like Anthony Bourdain and the CNN episodes are better than the travel channel.

Inside Man (the guy who ate Macdonalds for a month) doing some investigative pieces has been surprisingly watchable.

The last one about college sports was good.

Mountain Men and Life Below Zero are my favorites of that genre..next to Deadliest catch, which is still the best.

I fished commercially in Alaska for a few seasons, so actually know the Northwestern and Hansen families. They were a tender for my boat during Salmon seasons up there years ago. Been a fan since day 1.

About "Bar Rescue"...

I wondered how many of those bars actually became successful in the long run after they are "rescued".

I know of one up here in the Sierra Gold Country that was featured in an episode of few years ago, and it still struggles to stay alive years later. It did look better, but the big plans they had for weddings, parties, etc, never really materialized.

I've only seen a handful of episodes, the lead rescuer guy just kinda seems like a jerk to me.

Started watching Fargo.

Loving it so far (3 episodes).

90 min finale was last night. EXCELLENT..

Such a great series, I'm bummed that it is over.

FX and AMC are really taking it to the other cable channels.

Again,, I highly recommend "The Bridge" on FX. Second season coming soon, 1st season is on HULU right now.

Amazing performance by Martin Freeman (Bilbo Baggins) as Lester.

How can an Englishman nail a Minnesota accent like that? 

Billy Bob is perfectly cast and the writing is excellent.

Fargo is good stuff, a lot better than I expected.

Bilbo!

F*ck I knew he looked familiar, but I was so into it I didn't try and figure out who it was.

Awesome. Yeah he's amazing. They all are.