• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

What have you watched recently? (Please use the hide function for spoilers or plot lines)

Red Tails 8/10

this is the story of the tuskegee airmen of WWII. had it on the dvr and got around to it today. it's a moving story of how a group of african-americans had to prove their worth to see combat, and what a terrific job they did in the process. a few holes in the plot line, but worth watching.

I watched The Place Beyond the Pines the other day. It could've been a decent movie, but they ruined it by making Bradley Cooper's son a caricature of some Bronx Italian circa 1982. It made zero sense. I was amazed that anyone thought that was a good idea.

I watched The Place Beyond the Pines the other day. It could've been a decent movie, but they ruined it by making Bradley Cooper's son a caricature of some Bronx Italian circa 1982. It made zero sense. I was amazed that anyone thought that was a good idea.

Agreed. It's basically 2/3rds of a solid movie.

This boards review of the Planet of the Apes movies makes me curious, I just can't find it in me to seriously watch monkeys running around with guns.

There were a couple of times I thought to myself "that's BS" but then I figured that I'd bought into the rest of the story, so that wasn't too much of a stretch.

The work by Serkis is just ooutstanding.

Give the first one a shot at home and if you like it, definitely check this one out.

You can technically just view these new Planet of the Apes movies perhaps all just leading up to the original '60s Planet of the Apes, which is indeed a great movie. The other 4 sequels, are interesting follow-ups and maybe worth checking out if the ideas pique your interest.

Today was Netflix documentary day:

Mile...Mile & a Half: Simple documentary of friends hiking the John Mural Trail. The imagery they captured from Yosemite to Mt Whitney were breathtaking. If I weren't so lazy, this is a hike I would love to do. If you find yourself looking for a flick to pass time, you won't be disappointed.

The Good Son: The documentary of Ray "Boom Boom" Mancini's life and his struggle with Kim's death during their title fight. After 30 years, he finally meets the wife and son of Kim which was a heart tugging moment. This is a must watch for anyone. It deals with so much more than just boxing. One of my favorite documentaries in recent years (and I'm not a fan of boxing). http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1954925/?ref_=nv_sr_2

jOBS - didn't have any expectations after coming across it on netflix. Felt like a made for TV movie and I couldn't buy off on Kelso as Steve Jobs. Pirates of Silicon Valley was much better although it didn't cover Apple's re-emergence but neither did jOBS.

Desolation of Smaug is setting up the third and final movie which will be much more action packed.

I enjoy The Hobbit and I enjoyed LOTR but I'm not a Tolkien fan boy or someone who read the books before. I definitely think An Unexpected Journey was better than TDoS which seemed dragged out. That said I watch these movies because I'm a sci-if/fantasy nerd and like seeing them come to the big screen. That alone is worth the price of admission and the blu-ray to me.

I can't read the LOTR books.  

Tolkien was not a good writer.  Linguistics was his specialty.  

The Hobbit is the only book of his I've read cover to cover, so I'm somewhat familiar with it.  

If you really think about it, GRRM's work has very little in common with Tolkien's.  

If Led Zeppelin is writing songs about your work, you have to have some writing talent. And I would say creativity/imagination was his specialty.

Today was Netflix documentary day:

Mile...Mile & a Half: Simple documentary of friends hiking the John Mural Trail. The imagery they captured from Yosemite to Mt Whitney were breathtaking. If I weren't so lazy, this is a hike I would love to do. If you find yourself looking for a flick to pass time, you won't be disappointed.

Thanks, I'll definitely give that a watch.

I've hiked most of the Muir Trail at different times. The longest single stretch was about 110 miles entering at kearsarge pass (above Independence) and exiting at Edison lake on the west side of the sierras. There's a little "resort" at Edison lake that caters to backpackers. People who do the entire trail will mail some food ahead to themselves and resupply there. First beer free etc, but what I remember the most of that place was the tri-tip and apple pie. After 11 days on the trail (losing about a pound a day despite trying to eat as many calories as possible) nothing tasted so good as that meal. It was a great trip.