• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

What have you watched recently? (Please use the hide function for spoilers or plot lines)

The Pit 7/10

Documentary on commodity traders in NY. Kind of a grim look and almost watched like some poker degen doc. Dudes are basically gamblers.

Pushing along with Boss....pretty good, but no House of Cards.

Speaking of which, have a buddy in town that hasn't seen HoC, so we started the series yesterday.

Thanks, I'll definitely give that a watch.

I've hiked most of the Muir Trail at different times. The longest single stretch was about 110 miles entering at kearsarge pass (above Independence) and exiting at Edison lake on the west side of the sierras. There's a little "resort" at Edison lake that caters to backpackers. People who do the entire trail will mail some food ahead to themselves and resupply there. First beer free etc, but what I remember the most of that place was the tri-tip and apple pie. After 11 days on the trail (losing about a pound a day despite trying to eat as many calories as possible) nothing tasted so good as that meal. It was a great trip.

They did show the supply cabin. Props for hiking 110 miles. I love nature, but couldn't manage walking for 11 days straight at that clip. How many people did you go with?

I hiked with my older brother. A larger group would have been easier because then I wouldn't have had such a heavy pack. I think it was 75 lbs to start, but got lighter everyday as food was consumed. A good rule is to not carry more than a third of your body weight but that's tough with just two hikers.

The two most annoying things are the stream crossings and mosquitoes. We tried to plan our mileage so that we would hit the major streams in the mornings when they were smaller, and camp at high elevation to avoid mosquitoes, often above 10,000 ft. To cross the streams I put on some scuba dive booties (made of wet suit material) that I already had. You don't want to hike with wet boots if you can avoid it. My feet were pretty beat up anyway. Bring moleskin for blisters.

Met a lot of interesting people on the trail. One really old dude who looked like he could still mountaineer just about anything out there. Some cute hippy chicks who had hiked the entire Appalachian Trail (2160 miles). Got caught in a lightning storm trying to climb up Muir Pass. Visible lightning strikes all around and far above the tree line is a very bad feeling. Fortunately made it into the stone hut on top of the pass (as shown in the video).

It's definitely worth doing but advisable to start with a smaller 2 or 3 day trip and a light pack to see if you like it. Also, if you start from a high trail head then you won't have as much elevation gain to start out with which makes it easier. Starting at Whitney (~6000 ft of elevation gain) is very tough, and permits are harder to get there too.

The high elevation (14,000+ if you go over Whitney) didn't effect me other than fatigue. Some people get sick. Try to sleep at high elevation for a night before you start your hike to acclimate.

I found this video on youtube. Really good I thought.

Pawnography 7-10

new game show on the history channel featuring the guys from the gold & silver pawn shop. contestants try to win some of the items from the shop in a jeopardy type game show where they answer questions about politics, history, and pop culture. i like it a bit better than the regular show, which has become really uninteresting to watch lately.

I agree that Pawn Stars has gotten stale.  They do all the dumb Chumlee skits and lack many interesting items.

Pawnography is ok except for Rick and the dbag they got to host it.  I always enjoy trivia.

Drunk History is really good I give it a solid 8/10.

I agree that Pawn Stars has gotten stale.  They do all the dumb Chumlee skits and lack many interesting items.

Pawnography is ok except for Rick and the dbag they got to host it.  I always enjoy trivia.

Drunk History is really good I give it a solid 8/10.

Yeah, I agree.  Same can be said for Duck Dynasty and Storage Wars.  It's gotten away from reality to more of a scripted show now.  

Deadliest Catch on the other hand, I still like.

i was in a coin shop in alhambra earlier this week. got to talking about pawn stars somehow. the guy told me that the Harrisons own about ten different pawn stores in vegas now, and that they film in a studio that was built to look exactly like their main pawn shop. on the show they have a warehouse, but I'm telling you there's just no room for a warehouse at the location they show on the tube.

i've been to the main pawn shop and it's a dump in the back half. couldn't believe how much "pawn stars" crap they were selling - t-shirts, mugs, mouse pads, you name it - and most of the things in the show cases are way more expensive than i could afford.

i was in a coin shop in alhambra earlier this week. got to talking about pawn stars somehow. the guy told me that the Harrisons own about ten different pawn stores in vegas now, and that they film in a studio that was built to look exactly like their main pawn shop. on the show they have a warehouse, but I'm telling you there's just no room for a warehouse at the location they show on the tube.

i've been to the main pawn shop and it's a dump in the back half. couldn't believe how much "pawn stars" crap they were selling - t-shirts, mugs, mouse pads, you name it - and most of the things in the show cases are way more expensive than i could afford.

Someone told me people have to pay like ten bucks or something like that to enter the actual original Pawn Stars pawn shop. She said there was a line around the corner. Good for those guys that they have been able to cash in. 

Edited by Ray McKigney

Yeah, they don't use a studio or charge admission.  They recently overhauled and expanded their shop to make room for everything.  They also have a gigantic storage facility.

Many of the items you see on the show were already in the shop and they hire an actor to pretend to pawn it in order for them to make the show more entertaining and to allow the cast members to learn the history of the item so they can explain the item on TV.

I see a lot of people bashing Rick for being a know it all or a fraud because he doesn't know all that stuff.  In reality History channel wants him to spout off all that stuff, it is their way of validating the fact that it is a reality show on the History Channel.

Lucy. It was kind of cool until the end. Sweet special effects. Weird and stupid plot.

I had the absolute misfortune of seeing this film last night.

Such garbage. They lost me after the first scene in which she uses her new powers. This film is stupid.

2/10

Edited by RallyMo

Such garbage. They lost me after the first scene in which she uses her new powers. This film is stupid.

2/10

you're obviously only using 5% of your brain power if that's all you gave it.

2/10

LUC BESSON YOU ASSHOLE

Take it all back.

I don't plan on ever watching this movie.

"Lucy" is getting terrible reviews and I trust the reviews in here; wait for late-night cable..

Watched "Why planes crash" on the Weather channel last night.  It was a very insightful show that re-enacted some famous crashes, and explained how/why they occurred.  It's scary that most are caused by human-error, even the ones that have additional causal-factors such as weather/environmental and mechanical..

Saw a cheapo-flick on late-night last week too..  "Teeth" a teenage girl growing-up/trying to come to terms with her "vagina-dentada" condition.  Basically, when she gets scared or angry her male partner gets a certain part chewed-off.  I couldn't tell if it was supposed to be a serious or comedy-horror movie, but I was LOL-ing at much of it.

I been watching "Silicon Valley" on HBOgo.  I dig it.  It's well cast and easy to watch with a run time of about 25 minutes each episode.  Good characters.  Scenarios that are identifiable in any occupation or living situation.  It's a slow burn, but good.

Next, I want to tackle "Halt and Catch Fire" but haven't heard many people talk about it.  So, maybe it sucks.

Next, I want to tackle "Halt and Catch Fire" but haven't heard many people talk about it.  So, maybe it sucks.

I'm actually watching it.  I'm still trying to figure out if it's based on something real.  But even if it's a drama/fiction, I'm enjoying it and think it's entertaining.  Although I don't know if it can last more than a season, since it seems to be mainly building up to their computer.  

I been watching "Silicon Valley" on HBOgo.  I dig it.  It's well cast and easy to watch with a run time of about 25 minutes each episode.  Good characters.  Scenarios that are identifiable in any occupation or living situation.  It's a slow burn, but good.

I really enjoyed Silicon Valley, some really clever writing. Glad to see it'll be back for a 2nd season.