• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Breaking: Alex Cobb TRADED to Angels for Jahmai Jones

jordan

I think a lot of people are overrating Jones.  He sputtered out in his development and has not shown much.  I hope he does develop into something, and I wish him the best of luck in Baltimore, but with Fletcher at 2B, he wasn't going to get much of a shot here.

If Jones was viewed by the industry as being a very good prospect, Minasian would not have traded him for Cobb.  This likely indicates the industry consensus on Jones' potential.

Initial thoughts, This is a bad trade. Not because we gave up Jone. its the fact we took on 7.5 mil for a guys that will most likely have an Era over 4, and than yu had the fact we traded some away for this type of production. 

7.5 Mil: Perry could have easily spend that on the market and get similar production, heck maybe even less than 7.5 mil. 

5 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Or like Callaway with Bundy, he'll also do wonders with Quintana and Cobb. Can you imagine?

I have to trust Maddon, Calloway, Minasian and his front office staff with this deal.  These are the types of reclamation deals that made Dave Duncan famous and the A's successful.  We all joke about trash pitchers going to Oakland and competing for a Cy Young award.  I would be estatic if this is the beginning of such a pattern for the Angels.

19 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Ha. I still have hair, I just keep it short and clean my friend. 

I agree that Jones is too much in the deal. Especially since we only have Iglesias for one year at SS, assuming Fletcher goes back to SS if we can't sign a FA to play the position. 

That said we have Barreto and Rengifo as I mentioned and Paris, Jackson coming in a couple years. 

I more just don't get giving up anything to get Alex Cobb...Barria is better, Sandoval is at least comparable.  Makes no sense. 

34 minutes ago, mmc said:

And before everyone freaks out, middle infield depth is something the Angels do have and that could mean there is possibly more to this deal than meets the eye.

Or, alternatively, the Angels could be dealing Jones for Cobb and $2M in cash which would make @Dochalo's psoriasis break out on me too.

Just now, Quinlanforthewin said:

I more just don't get giving up anything to get Alex Cobb...Barria is better, Sandoval is at least comparable.  Makes no sense. 

Maybe we have a deal in place and needed a guy for this season because Heaney or Sandoval and say Barria + another prospect or two are headed to Colorado for German Marquez. You just never know.

Odorizzi, Paxson and Walker I believe are holding out for 2 or 3 year deals. Risk on those pitchers are greater with history of injury. Alex Cobb on a 1 year seems to be a lower risk. Minasian has a plan for future which includes halo rotation. I keep reading will have to replace entire rotation next year. Canning, Barria, Sandoval, Detmers, Rodriquez and maybe Ohtani is a start for 2022. Many options in trades and free agents will also be out there. I for one am glad we do not spend big on Bauer. I feel Angels will contend for west this year and make run at a playoff spot. I hope to be at a playoff this year.

3 minutes ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

Initial thoughts, This is a bad trade. Not because we gave up Jone. its the fact we took on 7.5 mil for a guys that will most likely have an Era over 4, and than yu had the fact we traded some away for this type of production. 

7.5 Mil: Perry could have easily spend that on the market and get similar production, heck maybe even less than 7.5 mil. 

Where are people getting 7.5mil from?  All we know is that the Orioles are reportedly covering more than half of his salary.  Let's wait to see what it actually is.

Again, if we get Cobb on like a 1yr, 5-7mil deal, while shipping out a FV40 type prospect that didn't really have a future with us, then that's fair value, IMO.  

Just now, angelsnationtalk said:

I know it's not 100% spot on, but with recent trades like Darvish, Musgrove and Snell it's been decently close. 

This isn't that trade. This is a trade that a team with a need on both ends agree to even out the money with a prospect that has fallen in value. 

I talked with Jones agent at the 2019 Fall League and he was honest that Jones had lost some value and was working his ass off to climb back into the depth chart. This trade must put a smile on his face because Jones is now looking at breaking into the majors and possibly on to making some money. Something he probably wasn't going to do in the Angels organization. 

3 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Maybe we have a deal in place and needed a guy for this season because Heaney or Sandoval and say Barria + another prospect or two are headed to Colorado for German Marquez. You just never know.

If that's the case, sign me up.  But I've seen these types of theories for tons of our subpar signings the last few years and they usually just end up being a subpar signing. 

This is a poor use of resources in my opinion.  

Cobb isn't very good.  

Jones isn't a great prospect, but he's a decent one.  Just because he's down on the depth chart, you don't just give him away.  

It's gonna cost somewhere around 5m.  There are a crap ton of other players I'd rather have for that.  

And to top it off, you are getting another guy with one year of control.  Which in this case is fine by me because the chances we'll want Cobb around next year are slim to none anyway.  

5 minutes ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

If he pitches 30 games with an ERA at 4.50 the Angels win this trade by a huge margin and probably take the division. 

1 minute ago, Dochalo said:

This is a poor use of resources in my opinion.  

Cobb isn't very good.  

Jones isn't a great prospect, but he's a decent one.  Just because he's down on the depth chart, you don't just give him away.  

It's gonna cost somewhere around 5m.  There are a crap ton of other players I'd rather have for that.  

And to top it off, you are getting another guy with one year of control.  Which in this case is fine by me because the chances we'll want Cobb around next year are slim to none anyway.  

I agree that this doesn't seem to be heading in a good direction, but if Tanner Scott or some other value-added player is also in a proposed deal, that could change our perspectives.

It is the wait and see game.