• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Breaking: Alex Cobb TRADED to Angels for Jahmai Jones

jordan

6 minutes ago, totdprods said:

This was essentially the rotation last year, and this was probably our best rotation in the last several seasons...

1. Heaney (12 GS): 4.46 ERA in 66.2 IP
  2. Bundy (11 GS): 3.29 ERA in 65.2 IP
  3. Canning (11 GS) and Andriese (1 GS) (12 GS): 4.50 ERA in 58 IP
  4. Sandoval(6), Barria (5) and Peters (1) (12 GS): 5.76 ERA in 50 IP
  5. Teheran (9), Ohtani(2), and Suarez (2) (13 GS): 14.24 ERA in 30.1 IP 

@failos stabilizing two turns in the rotation would be huge, given what we've received there in prior years. 

And I will again say I had similar expectations for Cahill, Harvey, et al...hopefully whatever Minasian is using to evaluate these guys is different from what Eppler's admin did.

13 minutes ago, floplag said:

Zero reason that had to be either or.
Youre saying that the plan all along was to wait till 22?  Then what the hades have we all been talking about ?

I am saying that if they sign nothing but one year deals then the plan is to spend the Albert money, it is a fall back option.  I still want to get a pitcher with more years left of control.

1 minute ago, Stradling said:

I am saying that if they sign nothing but one year deals then the plan is to spend the Albert money, it is a fall back option.  I still want to get a pitcher with more years left of control.

You can say that again.  Oh wait, you did.

1 minute ago, Stradling said:

Just now, failos said:

It's a pretty good deal dependent on which prospect we're sending.

Is it?  We could have gotten the same type guy in FA for that, maybe less and lost no one.
I can only assume they are banking on his high ground ball rations to make him better with our defense behind him. 

1 minute ago, totdprods said:

@failos stabilizing two turns in the rotation would be huge, given what we've received there in prior years. 

And I will again say I had similar expectations for Cahill, Harvey, et al...hopefully whatever Minasian is using to evaluate these guys is different from what Eppler's admin did.

Of course, I agree with you there. It will be less strain on our bullpen, but I disagree with us being in good shape.

1 minute ago, T.G. said:

That's a pipe dream.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/01/orioles-notes-marlins-santander-mancini-deferrals-masn.html

Probably, but there's some smoke. Fits the plus-defense model Minasian likes, and there's some weirdness going on with the O's and money. 

He'd surely require some good prospects going back, but taking Cobb has to bring that down a notch from our top tier prospects, and some of our quasi-redundant guys would factor in to Baltimore's need for MLB-ready cheap players (Jones, Barreto, Suarez, Thaiss) giving them more value in a deal there than elsewhere.

Odorizzi, Paxson and Walker I believe are holding out for 2 or 3 year deals. Risk on those pitchers are greater with history of injury. Alex Cobb on a 1 year seems to be a lower risk. Minasian has a plan for future which includes halo rotation. I keep reading will have to replace entire rotation next year. Canning, Barria, Sandoval, Detmers, Rodriquez and maybe Ohtani is a start for 2022. Many options in trades and free agents will also be out there. I for one am glad we do not spend big on Bauer. I feel Angels will contend for west this year and make run at a playoff spot. I hope to be at a playoff this year.

2 minutes ago, floplag said:

Is it?  We could have gotten the same type guy in FA for that, maybe less and lost no one.
I can only assume they are banking on his high ground ball rations to make him better with our defense behind him. 

Depends on who we're trading--it could be a PTBNL/ someone of no consequence. Quintana is slightly more expensive FWIW, so it is a fairly good deal. The problem is we don't need another 4.xx ERA starter.

If the report is true that the Orioles are eating more than half of his salary, then this is a decent deal, contingent on who we are trading to BAL (I have to imagine it's like a 35 FV type prospect).

Cobb, as outlined, can be a decent enough SP.  I'd say a solid SP4.  Not exciting, but as @totdprods nicely illustrated, our SP5 was incredibly awful last year (the combined effort).

Getting more MLB serviceable SPs is important, and that's what we are doing here.  At 15mil, that is an awful deal, but if we end only paying, say, 6-7mil, part of which is deferred, then that's actually rather fair value, I'd say.