• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Breaking: Alex Cobb TRADED to Angels for Jahmai Jones

jordan

Minasian's philosophy is becoming apparent. Low key, pragmatic veteran additions without sacrificing anyone of real value. Acquiring unspectacular depth players  and shying away from high risk options. At the same time, upgrading baseball operations and focus on the farm system. Seems to be in sync with Maddon. Seems like a cautious but careful foundation builder. 

Cobb ideally replicates to some degree what Bundy did coming from the Orioles. Both didn't have great stats coming over, but have been inning eaters and decent back of the rotation starters. On a team with better defense and run scoring ability Cobb should be good for 30ish starts and an ERA around 3.50 - 4.25. Respectable enough for his role. 

22 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

What doesn't make sense to me is that there are still plenty of #4-5 starters on the free agent market that the Angels could have had for the same cost but without giving up a prospect. 

We will have to see what the final money outlay is, but I am guessing this just isn’t the case. Let’s assume Cobb ends up as a 1/6 deal - not sure you get Walker or Paxton for that. But that being said, Walker (plus Jones) on something like 2/16 seems better than Cobb at 1/6.

Btw I highly doubt this is it for our offseason. 

We really rolling into 2021 with 4 starters hitting free agency at the end of the year? Nah. 

I didn't think we'd get 3 starters but now we have the opportunity to trade someone like Canning and/or Heaney and/or Barria.

11 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

We really rolling into 2021 with 4 starters hitting free agency at the end of the year? Nah. 

I didn't think we'd get 3 starters but now we have the opportunity to trade someone like Canning and/or Heaney and/or Barria.

No. 

14 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

Look at it this way: If the Angels suck, they have four guys they can trade for prospects in July.

There's no way we trade Canning IMO unless we're getting a Luis Castillo. Grant it, we'd have to give up Adell and others but to me that's it.

I'm not sure I'd even deal Canning for German Marquez. 

Barria + Sandoval + Adell + Thaiss for Marquez, all day long. 

19 minutes ago, Duren, Duren said:

Minasian's philosophy is becoming apparent. Low key, pragmatic veteran additions without sacrificing anyone of real value. Acquiring unspectacular depth players  and shying away from high risk options. At the same time, upgrading baseball operations and focus on the farm system. Seems to be in sync with Maddon. Seems like a cautious but careful foundation builder. 

Cobb ideally replicates to some degree what Bundy did coming from the Orioles. Both didn't have great stats coming over, but have been inning eaters and decent back of the rotation starters. On a team with better defense and run scoring ability Cobb should be good for 30ish starts and an ERA around 3.50 - 4.25. Respectable enough for his role. 

Yes.  This was a deal that doesn't really move the needle, but Minasian has been trying to build MLB caliber SP depth.

Cobb is an SP4/SP5 type.  We circle back to the same point, but last year, we had some stunningly awful starts from a number of pitchers.  If Minasian can keep finding guys who can, at least, provide decent starts, that should help us a lot.

Remember, we have one of the game's best offenses and a strong defensive infield.  Our bullpen still needs work, but it has a very promising foundation with Iglesias, Mayers, Pena, Buttrey, etc.

We just need SPs who can do enough to keep us in games and not put us down 5-0 in the first/second innings.

2 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

There's no way we trade Canning IMO unless we're getting a Luis Castillo. Grant it, we'd have to give up Adell and others but to me that's it.

I'm not sure I'd even deal Canning for German Marquez. 

Barria + Sandoval + Adell + Thaiss for Marquez, all day long. 

I only brought up Canning because we won't be trading him unless we are getting a better pitcher. And even then, it's unlikely.

Just opens up the option.

30 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Look at it this way: If the Angels suck, they have four guys they can trade for prospects in July.

If the Angels suck, it will be largely due to the fact those guys suck. At least a couple of em. As pending free agents, they won't bring much back.  

Just speculating a little bit here.

While Cobb is getting a bit older for a pitcher, he has been pretty decent in the past. FIP doesn't like him because he pitches to contact and doesn't strikeout guys much. He was pretty solid up to 2014. Missed 2015 with TJS, but only got surgery done in May, so missed most of 2016 also. His ending of 2016 was understandably crappy. But he was really good in 2017, his last year for the Rays. Since going to the O's, his results have taken a nosedive. I'm not sure if his velocity has taken a dump or anything, but with a pitch to contact type, bad pitch selection and poor coaching could make a significant difference. 

That said, in actual results, his ERA with Baltimore is comparable to Bundy's the last couple of years with the O's. He has had injury issues, so that's something to watch for, but not much wear and tear last year, so the rest might help keep him healthy this season. 

All that to say, I wouldn't be shocked if he turns out better than his results.