• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Breaking: Alex Cobb TRADED to Angels for Jahmai Jones

jordan

8 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

I hate this addition, mostly because I think they could have done it for cheaper but he helps raise the floor some..   At this point it seems Perry's focus is to add as many redundancies as possible in hopes of avoiding a potential black hole.   You gotta figure RF is next.

I can't wait to see who Minasian disappoints us with next in RF. 

Not really. I'm actually fine with seeing what Ward does in RF. Or even what Thaiss does at 1B and Walsh does in RF if Ward doesn't work out. 

They don't have anyone to back up in CF right now, and I figure whoever they get will need to have that ability.

Just now, Second Base said:

I can't wait to see who Minasian disappoints us with next in RF. 

Not really. I'm actually fine with seeing what Ward does in RF. Or even what Thaiss does at 1B and Walsh does in RF if Ward doesn't work out. 

They don't have anyone to back up in CF right now, and I figure whoever they get will need to have that ability.

Didnt we bring someone over from Atlanta for RF, like right after the world series? Journeyman type to a minor league deal?

3 minutes ago, Stradler said:

All valid points, the trade isn't as bad as it looks, he's like a pitching coach under the pitching coach, on top of him pretty reliable starter.  I think expectations have just be subverted greatly, Bauer is not coming here, it's pretty much a sure thing.

Cobb fits halo plan for 6 man rotation. Bundy, Heaney, Canning, Quintana, Cobb first 5. Barria, Sandoval or Ohtani number 6. Sandoval can start year in minors or be long man in pen. Barria if no other starter added can be number 6 and Ohtani can take his time with no rush to get him back. Still have Detmers, Suarez and maybe Chris Rodriquez in waiting. 

This the reason why this trade looks pointless. with Cobb we have our 6, which probably means that Barria will be in AAA.I would be fine if the guy replacing Barria was better. But, that's not the case, heck you could say that Barria is better than Cobb at this point in their Career. 

Also, if we are on the hook for Deferal moneys than this is a really bad trade, could impact the payroll the following years.

4 minutes ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

This the reason why this trade looks pointless. with Cobb we have our 6, which probably means that Barria will be in AAA.I would be fine if the guy replacing Barria was better. But, that's not the case, heck you could say that Barria is better than Cobb at this point in their Career. 

Also, if we are on the hook for Deferal moneys than this is a really bad trade, could impact the payroll the following years.

Barria can't be in AAA. He has no options. It's pen, rotation, or trade. Try to stash him and he'll get claimed. 

4 minutes ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

Barria is out of options.

People who are concerned about not having enough room in the rotation for Barria need to take a step back and look at our history of pitching injuries (or really, any other team's pitching injuries).

Not only is it very likely we'll have at least one SP on the IL by the end of spring training, but it certainly wouldn't be surprising to see multiple.

And, on the off chance pitchers are actually healthy?  Well, watching the patterns of good teams juggle their SPs, it is rather easy to claim that a pitcher is "battling some soreness" or something like that, enough to keep them out for 10-15 days.  And if everyone is healthy after those 10-15 days, maybe someone else is experiencing some other random minor ailment, etc.

Long story short, it would seem to make sense that we load up on as many decent SPs as possible and figure out the rest later.

20 minutes ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

Barria is number 6 now. How many times do halos have pitching injuries. This gives Ohtani time to get ready without a rush. Not he pitcher everyone wanted but gives halos depth. Maybe Minasian has tried to make trades that are just not there right now. Same with FA pitchers maybe asking price is to high. Maybe Baltimore paying most of money.

I've settled on two possibilities:

1) The Angels are going to trade one of Canning or Barria in a package for someone like Gray.

2) Perry Minasian is not very smart.

What are the other choices? Cobb is 34 and compiled a 5.10 ERA over the last three years in 217 IP. There are tons of guys that could provide those innings or better still available on the market, not to mention Canning, Barria, and probably Sandoval. 

Even if this frees up a starter in a trade, several AAA filler types--Faria, Diaz, Suarez, McNaughton--could probably be as good as Cobb.

7 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

People who are concerned about not having enough room in the rotation for Barria need to take a step back and look at our history of pitching injuries (or really, any other team's pitching injuries).

Not only is it very likely we'll have at least one SP on the IL by the end of spring training, but it certainly wouldn't be surprising to see multiple.

And, on the off chance pitchers are actually healthy?  Well, watching the patterns of good teams juggle their SPs, it is rather easy to claim that a pitcher is "battling some soreness" or something like that, enough to keep them out for 10-15 days.  And if everyone is healthy after those 10-15 days, maybe someone else is experiencing some other random minor ailment, etc.

Long story short, it would seem to make sense that we load up on as many decent SPs as possible and figure out the rest later.

Yea you have said this a lot this off season.  How do you stretch him out when he is in the bullpen and now he has to start?  He will be in the pen when everyone is healthy, then when someone goes on the IL then he starts, in his first start he shouldn’t be expected to go even 4 innings, because he isn’t stretched out.  Then he pitches maybe 5 innings in his second start.  So basically when we have an injury it is back to having bullpen games.  He can’t be sent down to get stretched out.  That is why you either put him in the rotation or you trade him and get whatever value you can out of him.  

Arte hasn't been burned by any big SP contracts so I'm not sure why he's obsessed with All these 1 year deals for mediocre pitchers.All of these stupid one-year contracts are baffling. Party hasn't been burned by any It’s rather surprising to see Jones included in this sw stock has tumbled in recent seasons, he’s a former second-round draft pick who at one point ranked among MLB’s top 100 prospects at Baseball America, MLB.com and Baseball Prospectus. Baseball America ranked Jones 11th on the Halos’ 2020-21 The 23-year-old Jones went 3-for-7 in a very brief MLB debut with the Angels in 2020, so he’s a departure from some of the Orioles’ other prospect acquisitions. He’s a near-MLB-ready piece that could be plugged into the big league mix as soon as this season. Jones has played second base and center field throughout his minor league career. His bat has stalled a bit in Double-A, where he’s batted .237/.315/.338 in a very pitcher-friendly environment.

2 minutes ago, beatlesrule said:
Arte hasn't been burned by any big SP contracts so I'm not sure why he's obsessed with All these 1 year deals for mediocre pitchers.All of these stupid one-year contracts are baffling. Party hasn't been burned by any It’s rather surprising to see Jones included in this sw stock has tumbled in recent seasons, he’s a former second-round draft pick who at one point ranked among MLB’s top 100 prospects at Baseball America, MLB.com and Baseball Prospectus. Baseball America ranked Jones 11th on the Halos’ 2020-21 The 23-year-old Jones went 3-for-7 in a very brief MLB debut with the Angels in 2020, so he’s a departure from some of the Orioles’ other prospect acquisitions. He’s a near-MLB-ready piece that could be plugged into the big league mix as soon as this season. Jones has played second base and center field throughout his minor league career. His bat has stalled a bit in Double-A, where he’s batted .237/.315/.338 in a very pitcher-friendly environment.

Your best post to date!