• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Breaking: Alex Cobb TRADED to Angels for Jahmai Jones

jordan

5 minutes ago, SoWhat said:

Oof. I’ve been obsessed with the Angels/baseball my whole life, but for the past 3-4 years I’ve lost a whole lot of interest in it and this offseason puts the nail in the coffin. I have zero desire to watch and support this team. Welp, at least I have my Lakers. Oh and FREE TROUT 

@SoWhat how did you handle the 90's through 2001 and the start of 2002?

I guess this could be better than paying Odorizzi $12-14 million per year for 2-3 years.

One caveat though is the lack of Ks.   Even though he gives up a high GB%, that’s still a lot of batted balls in play.

Need a good defensive RF now, so that only Upton is a defensive weakness.

And need one more solid late innings reliever.

Edited by Angel Oracle

Hopefully Minasian sees something that no one else sees, otherwise, I really don't understand. But sometimes these moves work out. Like when Eppler acquired Simmons and traded for Bundy. 

Both looked like really stupid moves at first glance. Simmons was a light hitting shortstop and they gave up a better hitting shortstop, and two very good pitching prospects. And Bundy last year, was acquired for a nothing mix of pitching prospects, and Bundy himself wasn't a very good pitcher. 

Hindsight says the Angels sold high on every piece of the Simmons trade and bought low on Simmons. And Bundy was a small adjustment away from beginning an extremely good starting pitcher. If Baltimore couldn't recognize that, then it's their fault. 

So perhaps Alex Cobb is similar to Bundy. But even if he is, he's making more money, has only one year of control, and he cost a decent prospect. 

The only way this deal works out is if Cobb has a Bundy developmental leap in him and Jahmai Jones never fully develops into a useful player in the major leagues.

What doesn't make sense to me is that there are still plenty of #4-5 starters on the free agent market that the Angels could have had for the same cost but without giving up a prospect. Maybe Minasian sees something in Cobb, but my guess it is just the Proven Veteran thing and we're seeing the first signs that Perry is a bit on the traditional side.

It is a bad trade, but not devastating. Giving up Jones is unfortunate--especially considering his versatility that could have seen him as an emergency 4th OF--but he almost certainly didn't have a starting role on the Angels, whether in the near or long-term.