• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Breaking: Alex Cobb TRADED to Angels for Jahmai Jones

jordan

11 minutes ago, angelsnationtalk said:

We don't have a need for another #4-#5 type guy and we also can't be happy with it because it puts a smile on Jones' face. 

This moves makes sense if what @Chuckster70 is saying can be true that now we can package someone like Heaney to the Rockies. 

If there isn't a corresponding move to this then to be completely honest it's the same strategy the Angels have used over the years and it hasn't worked. There's no other way to put it and us Angels fans are lying to ourselves if we think this is really good. 

Heaney to the Rockies makes no sense. 1 year left in his contract and the Rockies aren't trying to compete. It would have to be someone like Canning and Detmers

2 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Doc, you want Jones to be more important to the franchise than he is because he was once a top prospect in a minor league system with so little talent. But he had no path to the MLB roster having not successfully transitioned to 2nd base defensively. That was his path and now it is blocked so trade him while he still has some prospect value at age 23. The Orioles have nothing to lose putting him in the field right out of spring training. Their roster has three positions for him to contend for.  

no I don't.  his path to mlb is irrelevant.  he's worth what he's worth and we may disagree on that value.  But he has some.  My biggest concern is that Cobb isn't very good and to take on money for 1yr of a poor player and give up an ok prospect to do it is my problem.  

The whole point of having a good or even decent farm is that guys get blocked and create redundancy which you use to make the major league team better.  Personally, I never considered Jones all that great.  In fact, I think I had him the lowest of anyone on our top prospect list.  

Prospect capital is prospect capital.  Don't waste it.  Minasian just did.  

I'm trying to like this deal but I'm just not seeing it. Cobb is projected to throw 132 innings this year; his career highs are 29 games and 179 innings. Trading a prospect, albeit from an area of depth, and taking on cash for an average, injury prone pitcher doesn't seem to really fill a need for us. I would tend to think that this is a precursor to another move but have seen this movie far too often over the last few years.

11 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

Why would he be?  Have we heard anything about a prospect coming back to the halos?  

No, but, like many trades before this one, the deals suddenly expand. Just saying it could be more than meets the eye or it could be exactly what meets the eye. We just need to wait and see the details. I agree with you that if it is a simple Jones for Cobb deal where the Orioles eat like half his salary I am not going to be impressed and in fact may not like the trade at all.

Just now, Hufflepuff said:

Heaney to the Rockies makes no sense. 1 year left in his contract and the Rockies aren't trying to compete. It would have to be someone like Canning and Detmers

The Blue Jays sent three good prospects to the Mets for one year of Steven Matz. 

Heaney + Barria or Sandoval, + another top 10 prospect makes sense. They could trade Heaney at the deadline for more prospects as well. 

Just now, Hufflepuff said:

It's a pitcher for a pitcher and we add some top prospects in the deal. Rockies would need to supplement his rotation spot either way and Heaney could be a fill in for them for the season. But yeah, Canning is an option. 

Just now, angelsnationtalk said:

It's a pitcher for a pitcher and we add some top prospects in the deal. Rockies would need to supplement his rotation spot either way and Heaney could be a fill in for them for the season. But yeah, Canning is an option. 

I'd really hate to deal Canning because I still believe he has some of that Trevor Bauer in him. 

12 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

there's about as much of a chance of that as Jam Jones winning rookie of the year.  

I don't think you are looking at it correctly. Cobb put in 10 games of 4.30 era for a team that lost more games than the Angels last season. That is working too hard for no reward.

In 2018 he pitched 28 games of 4.90 era for possibly the worst team assembled in the last 30 years. He only managed 5 wins on a team that only managed 47 wins the entire season. You think maybe his support cast in the field might have contributed to that?

And before you give me any crap about wins just remember that players often play to the level of the organization unless they are superstars. Cobb is no superstar, he's just a guy that had to play on the worst team in baseball on a guaranteed contract. If he wants another contract he has to pitch better and the Angels are at least going to provide him with the resources to achieve that goal with far superior defense, offense and coaching staff. 

I don't expect Cobb to wow anyone this season but then again I don't expect him to Teheran the mound up. Minasian just farmed a pitcher from the same team that gave us Bundy and he was no great acquisition on paper as well. 

Jones was not a loss. Give it a chance.

1 minute ago, Blarg said:

I don't think you are looking at it correctly. Cobb put in 10 games of 4.30 era for a team that lost more games than the Angels last season. That is working too hard for no reward.

In 2018 he pitched 28 games of 4.90 era for possibly the worst team assembled in the last 30 years. He only managed 5 wins on a team that only managed 47 wins the entire season. You think maybe his support cast in the field might have contributed to that?

And before you give me any crap about wins just remember that players often play to the level of the organization unless they are superstars. Cobb is no superstar, he's just a guy that had to play on the worst team in baseball on a guaranteed contract. If he wants another contract he has to pitch better and the Angels are at least going to provide him with the resources to achieve that goal with far superior defense, offense and coaching staff. 

I don't expect Cobb to wow anyone this season but then again I don't expect him to Teheran the mound up. Minasian just farmed a pitcher from the same team that gave us Bundy and he was no great acquisition on paper as well. 

We're becoming WAY to optimistic about these pitchers the Angels always get. 

Over the last few years it's been Lincecum, Harvey, Cahill, Teheran and Bundy. Only ONE of those guys has panned out.

We need to stop fooling ourselves into thinking guys like Cobb and others are what we need. It hasn't been in the past and it isn't for the future. 

5 minutes ago, eligrba4ever said:

Cobb seems capable of often goving 7 or more innings efficiently and standing a reasonable chance of giving the team an opportunity to win. And if it doesn't fall through the O's are paying half the bill.

Often?  He pitched 7 innings once in 10 starts last year.   6 times in 27 starts in 2018.  

3 minutes ago, Blarg said:

....I don't expect Cobb to wow anyone this season but then again I don't expect him to Teheran the mound up. Minasian just farmed a pitcher from the same team that gave us Bundy and he was no great acquisition on paper as well....

Change of scenery helped Bundy....maybe it will for Cobb....I don't think the price was prohibitive, though it doesn't look like a bargain, as both the Iglesias trades seemed to be...

1 minute ago, angelsnationtalk said:

Over the last few years it's been Lincecum, Harvey, Cahill, Teheran and Bundy. Only ONE of those guys has panned out.

We need to stop fooling ourselves into thinking guys like Cobb and others are what we need. It hasn't been in the past and it isn't for the future. 

And comparing what Eppler did and how he evaluated players compared to how Miniasian is something fans should stop doing as well. 

Just now, angelsnationtalk said:

Different front office and coaching staff for all but Teheran and Bundy.  Bundy worked out while Teheran was garbage.  Minasian has a pedigree indicating a better sense for evaluating players.  I completely agree with your assessment if Eppler and company were still in charge, but they are not.

4 minutes ago, Blarg said:

don't get me wrong.  I want Cobb to do well of course.  I tend to give moves the benefit of the doubt or just keep my mouth shut.  I just don't get how they think Cobb is better than some other one year FA deal they could get for about 3-5m.  

1 minute ago, DMVol said:

Change of scenery helped Bundy....maybe it will for Cobb....I don't think the price was prohibitive, though it doesn't look like a bargain, as both the Iglesias trades seemed to be...

Makes you wonder if Bundy had something to do with this move........

20 minutes ago, Tank said:

you know how when you've got a bowl of popcorn and you get down to the end where it's nothing but old maids left and you're left wishing you could have more? that's how i feel about this trade.

if we're going to trade for pitching, let's find a better partner than the orioles, please.

Old maids?

Is that a white thing?