• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Breaking: Alex Cobb TRADED to Angels for Jahmai Jones

jordan

2 minutes ago, Blarg said:

This isn't that trade. This is a trade that a team with a need on both ends agree to even out the money with a prospect that has fallen in value. 

I talked with Jones agent at the 2019 Fall League and he was honest that Jones had lost some value and was working his ass off to climb back into the depth chart. This trade must put a smile on his face because Jones is now looking at breaking into the majors and possibly on to making some money. Something he probably wasn't going to do in the Angels organization. 

We don't have a need for another #4-#5 type guy and we also can't be happy with it because it puts a smile on Jones' face. 

This moves makes sense if what @Chuckster70 is saying can be true that now we can package someone like Heaney to the Rockies. 

If there isn't a corresponding move to this then to be completely honest it's the same strategy the Angels have used over the years and it hasn't worked. There's no other way to put it and us Angels fans are lying to ourselves if we think this is really good. 

1 minute ago, Dochalo said:

This is a poor use of resources in my opinion.  

Cobb isn't very good.  

Jones isn't a great prospect, but he's a decent one.  Just because he's down on the depth chart, you don't just give him away.  

It's gonna cost somewhere around 5m.  There are a crap ton of other players I'd rather have for that.  

And to top it off, you are getting another guy with one year of control.  Which in this case is fine by me because the chances we'll want Cobb around next year are slim to none anyway.  

FWIW ..

Fangraphs has a "40+" FV value on Jones.  Per their analysis, a 40+ FV hitter is worth ~4mil.

Cobb is projected to post ~1.5 fWAR over 170 innings.  Certainly not worth 15mil in this market, but that's likely worth somewhere around 7-10mil-ish.

So perhaps a fair deal would be for Cobb to cost us ~4-6mil, or so.

Well, if I squint, I could maybe see some upside. 

Eno Sarris thinks Cobb is underrated. Getting out of Baltimore and to an infield of Rendon, Iglesias, Fletcher, and Walsh (no slouch defensively) isn't gonna hurt him either. Cost (Per Feinsand, less than half, so < 7.5m) could end up solid for this year's roster. 

Could be they're also looking at trades where the other team wants a major league pitcher back and they're planning on sending Heaney back. Or it could be they're still looking at signing another starter and like the trade market better for bringing in a reliever and are sending Heaney out for that. Might also be no trade coming. 

If nothing else, it maybe frees up money to go for another reliever. Not sure how tight the budget is. 

Bummer about Jones, but it feels more like a waste of capital than anything he was going to do here. Could be Minasian and other teams don't value him highly at all. 

Just now, ettin said:

I agree that this doesn't seem to be heading in a good direction, but if Tanner Scott or some other value-added player is also in a proposed deal, that could change our perspectives.

It is the wait and see game.

Why would he be?  Have we heard anything about a prospect coming back to the halos?  

5 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

Cobb isn't very good.  

Jones isn't a great prospect, but he's a decent one.  Just because he's down on the depth chart, you don't just give him away.  

It's gonna cost somewhere around 5m.  There are a crap ton of other players I'd rather have for that.  

And to top it off, you are getting another guy with one year of control.  Which in this case is fine by me because the chances we'll want Cobb around next year are slim to none anyway.  

Bingo -- nail on head

1 minute ago, Dochalo said:

Cobb isn't very good.  

Doc, you want Jones to be more important to the franchise than he is because he was once a top prospect in a minor league system with so little talent. But he had no path to the MLB roster having not successfully transitioned to 2nd base defensively. That was his path and now it is blocked so trade him while he still has some prospect value at age 23. The Orioles have nothing to lose putting him in the field right out of spring training. Their roster has three positions for him to contend for.  

3 minutes ago, Erstad Grit said:

Possibly, but this would exemplify a rotation built for the long regular season but terrible for the playoffs

Well to be fair, our 2002 rotation was on par with this one. In fact, I would take Bundy, Ohtani, Heaney, Canning, Quintana and Cobb over Washburn, Ortiz, Appier, Callaway/Sele & Lackey. 

Our offense is going to be good and our defense is much better as well. I'd still love for the team to sign a Pillar or Puig for RF.

Also, if we can add one more solid arm to our bullpen I'm liking our chances. There's also trades later in the summer to be had guys to acquire that top of the rotation guy if Ohtani doesn't show up this season. 

Jahmai Jones isn't done developing. They're dealing him at the low point of his value. The Angela's messed with his swing and it screwed him up. He finally got his swing back on track and we were going to see him retain much of the ground he lost in AAA. He's going to grow into a solid starting 2B/OF, similar to Whit Merrifield, though not quite that good in my opinion. 

Cobb is a fine pitcher, he really is. This deal made a lot more sense when I assumed the first was going to be some random arm down the list like Stiward Aquino. But sacrificing a top 10 prospect whose value is only going to go up..... It's idiocy. 

2 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Well to be fair, our 2002 rotation was on par with this one. In fact, I would take Bundy, Ohtani, Heaney, Canning, Quintana and Cobb over Washburn, Ortiz, Appier, Callaway/Sele & Lackey. 

Our offense is going to be good and our defense is much better as well. I'd still love for the team to sign a Pillar or Puig for RF.

IMO different era of baseball and doesn't translate. Also Washburn was borderline ace. Bundy might be that pitcher this year. 

I totally agree with adding Puig. 

53 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

It must suck for you to live in a world where life sucks unless you get every thing you want.

Nope -- my life is awesome.  As to my angels, the only thing i wanted was for them to draft a SP in the 1st round of the draft and they finally did (yeah!).  So now all i want from them is to do the same in the 2021 draft.  I have very small desires when it comes to the Angels.  I just find it funny the annual Angel fans high hopes for TOR SP and then reality hits....and then the stages of grief to where some start convincing themselves it'll be good.  Then the season begins and reality hits.  So it must suck to think everything is great in Winter/Spring with your Angels and then pain all summer long.  I'm going to live in the real world, not fantasyland.