• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Breaking: Alex Cobb TRADED to Angels for Jahmai Jones

jordan

1 minute ago, Chuckster70 said:

If the Angels are done with regards to their starting pitching I will be disappointed. I'd still like for the club to acquire a Marquez type or just back up the MF truck up of cash for Bauer. Trade Heaney for prospects or a reliever. Sign a RF. 

That said... Our pitching & overall roster is much better today than it was in 2020 IMO. We're still not done building the roster. Let's wait to see how it all shakes out. 

2 minutes ago, angelsnationtalk said:

Something ain't right. More needs to be involved in this trade....

Orioles would need to basically pay his entire salary plus give the Angels $1M

Screen Shot 2021-02-01 at 10.54.21 AM.png

GMs aren't using that to determine if it's a good deal. 

It's pretty fair. Jones is a bit of an overpay, but as I mentioned, we got Raisel for a good deal that is evened out by this. 

Without knowing the money I can't judge quite yet, but if he comes in super cheap for '21 salary, it's a good deal if it allows the Angels the ability to keep dropping money on other needs. 

9 minutes ago, Second Base said:

So Matt Moore can be had for 3 million and no prospect, but Alex Cobb costs 7.5 million and a top 10 prospect in the system.

Yeah, ok. 

Let's be honest, not every top 10 prospect in the Angels system is someone who will be missed.  Jones' rating might be more indicative of the talent in the system and not of his actual talent.

Just now, totdprods said:

If we're not in the race, we could have a ton of pitching to offer up at the deadline...Bundy, Heaney, Quintana, Cobb, Iglesias...

Either Minasian really likes the kids and is planning on the '22 rotation filling up internally, or there will be some heavy lifting still to come.

If we're not in the race, it might be because our starting pitching is garbage again, thus minimizing their value as trade chips.

Just now, totdprods said:

If we're not in the race, we could have a ton of pitching to offer up at the deadline...Bundy, Heaney, Quintana, Cobb, Iglesias...

Either Minasian really likes the kids and is planning on the '22 rotation filling up internally, or there will be some heavy lifting still to come.

Or like Callaway with Bundy, he'll also do wonders with Quintana and Cobb. Can you imagine?

1 minute ago, totdprods said:

If the Angels are not in the race, it's likely most or all of those guys sucked.

8 minutes ago, Second Base said:

What the FRICK!!! Jam Jones?!?! For Alex Cobb at 7.5 million? 

I mean I be was fine with it before because I figured it was some no name minor leaguer. 

WTF are you doing Minasian?

Jones was going nowhere in the Angels organization. He had slipped behind Rengifo and is blocked by Fletcher and Iglesias. So he is the perfect guy to package in a trade, an excess utility fielder and we keep the pitching prospects. 

I think it is a solid deal for all sides. Angels get a starting pitcher that has to perform to earn any chance at a contract in 2022. The salary is split so he is really a bargain buy. Jones will actually get a shot at wearing a major league uniform, the Orioles are in all sorts of need for inexpensive players with multi-position talent. 

Think it from Jones perspective, he has the skills to bump Hanser Alberto off of 2nd base. Mullins really isn't all that impressive in center field. Ruiz isn't anything special at 3rd base. At worst Jones does a little pine riding as a utility player but he probably will be on the roster. You should feel happy for him. 

Just now, jsnpritchett said:

If we're not in the race, it might be because our starting pitching is garbage again, thus minimizing their value as trade chips.

Just now, T.G. said:

If the Angels are not in the race, it's likely most or all of those guys sucked.

Damn it.

Just now, Blarg said:

Jones was going nowhere in the Angels organization. He had slipped behind Rengifo and is blocked by Fletcher and Iglesias. So he is the perfect guy to package in a trade, an excess utility fielder and we keep the pitching prospects. 

I think it is a solid deal for all sides. Angels get a starting pitcher that has to perform to earn any chance at a contract in 2022. The salary is split so he is really a bargain buy. Jones will actually get a shot at wearing a major league uniform, the Orioles are in all sorts of need for inexpensive players with multi-position talent. 

Think it from Jones perspective, he has the skills to bump Hanser Alberto off of 2nd base. Mullins really isn't all that impressive in center field. Ruiz isn't anything special at 3rd base. At worst Jones does a little pine riding as a utility player but he probably will be on the roster. You should feel happy for him. 

He's behind Barreto as well

6 minutes ago, totdprods said:

GMs aren't using that to determine if it's a good deal. 

It's pretty fair. Jones is a bit of an overpay, but as I mentioned, we got Raisel for a good deal that is evened out by this. 

Without knowing the money I can't judge quite yet, but if he comes in super cheap for '21 salary, it's a good deal if it allows the Angels the ability to keep dropping money on other needs. 

I know they aren't but it's been decently close in recent trades. Angels have to up to something or else this makes no sense. 

2 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Next year when all our current one year deals end and we need four SPs we will trade for David Price's final year on his deal.

But the Dodgers will package their best prospects in the deal making it all worth it.

It’s rather surprising to see Jones included in this swap. While his stock has tumbled in recent seasons, he’s a former second-round draft pick who at one point ranked among MLB’s top 100 prospects at Baseball America, MLB.com and Baseball Prospectus. Baseball America ranked Jones 11th on the Halos’ 2020-21 list.

The 23-year-old Jones went 3-for-7 in a very brief MLB debut with the Angels in 2020, so he’s a departure from some of the Orioles’ other prospect acquisitions. He’s a near-MLB-ready piece that could be plugged into the big league mix as soon as this season. Jones has played second base and center field throughout his minor league career. His bat has stalled a bit in Double-A, where he’s batted .237/.315/.338 in a very pitcher-friendly environment.

surprising to see Jones included in this swap. While his stock has tumbled in recent seasons, he’s a former second-round draft pick who at one point ranked among MLB’s top 100 prospects at Baseball America, MLB.com and Baseball Prospectus. Baseball America ranked Jones 11th on the Halos’ 2020-21 The 23-year-old Jones went 3-for-7 in a very brief MLB debut with the Angels in 2020, so he’s a departure from some of the Orioles’ other prospect acquisitions. He’s a near-MLB-ready piece that could be plugged into the big league mix as soon as this season. Jones has played second base and center field throughout his minor league career. His bat has stalled a bit in Double-A, where he’s batted .237/.315/.338 in a very pitcher-friendly environment.