• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Breaking: Alex Cobb TRADED to Angels for Jahmai Jones

jordan

9 hours ago, Dochalo said:

There is one way that Cobb could actually help this team.  If the Angels agree to pay some of his deferred salary instead of the money in 2021 and he essentially pitches for free for the Angels this year.  I am not sure this is even possible.  If the Angels can somehow find a way to pay him in 2030-32 then maybe it make a little sense.  I could see a path to that considering that he's got 4.5m deferred this year which is probably prorated over the payout from 2022-2032.  

If the halos pay him say 1m in 2021 and then about half a mil in each of the next ten years then he could be a decent backup arm as 6 or 7 on the depth chart should the shit hit the fan.  

that wouldn't change the financial position of the team for 2021 and potentially allow them to make more moves.  

This makes sense. Also could be the reason why it’s taking so long to get MLB approval. 

8 hours ago, Pancake Bear said:

I didn't see you list as an option previously to this quoted post that your evaluation of either player could be wrong, but I could have missed it. It appears some believe that prospect ratings have overhyped Jones. Obviously that remains to be seen. But if that is true, is it impossible that Cobb is worth more than 3m? Certainly it seems like Minasian thinks he is.

There could also be, as Dochalo has suggested, that there is some other benefit that Minasian is using this trade for to facilitate some other move, and this particular trade could be well-suited for that purpose due to the deferred money somehow.

Is that optimistic? Probably. I just find it hard, as I've said numerous times today, to believe that a GM, even a rookie GM, would make that big of an overpay to the point that everyone on here is wondering what is wrong with him.

It's very possible that we'll find out very soon that Minasian (/Maddon) just really likes Cobb and was willing to overpay to bring him in. And it's also very possible that Jones will turn into a Zobrist-type super-utility guy with a solid amount of value and we'll be talking about this idiotic trade for years to come.

That would be option one, "The Angels see something no one else sees." Of course its possible, in a Baldoquin-is-a-great-prospect-sorta-way.

I'm not overhyping Jones, and a 40+ FV is a solid but not great prospect. I see him as a future good utility/fringe regular.

7 minutes ago, Blarg said:

I see y'all still wallowing in the denial stage. 

Let me make it easier.

This is the last pitching acquisition, there will be no more trades or free agents. Now move on. 

Ok. Or, it won’t be.  I’ll bet you Eric that this isn’t the last pitcher acquired this off season. 

1 hour ago, Blarg said:

Let me make it easier.

This is the last pitching acquisition, there will be no more trades or free agents. Now move on. 

But, butt, butte.....

I don't think Jones had much value. He's blocked in the OF, Fletcher at 2B, and has lost his luster a bit. Perry has people from Atlanta, the Dodgers, Royals, and Brewers (and now Toronto) working in the FO with him. They clearly aren't very high on Jones' upside, and think he was expendable. If the Angels only gave up Jones and took a $3-5 million hit, it's worth it. I'd love to see this be the solidifying on the back end for them to sign another starter. But this would in theory allow them to trade Canning. Canning is controlled and unlike Barria, Sandoval, or Suarez has shown that he has real upside to be a #3. Him and Adell (plus a few others) could land Marquez or Castillo. Not saying they will but now they could trade Canning if the right team wanted him. 

3 hours ago, Stradling said:

There’s some value in trading Heaney.  He has one year of control.  His return should be similar if not better than Matz.  They could target pitching prospects in a trade of Heaney, thus mitigating the loss of our prospects in any deal we could make for a starter of higher caliber than Heaney.  Lastly it frees up $7 million in luxury tax space. 

I can see that if the Halos aren't in the playoff hunt, but the team as it stands needs Heaney, embarrassingly, one of its top two starters arguably. 

2 hours ago, Blarg said:

Let me make it easier.

No way, Blarg. I couldn't say enough bad things about management if that were the case.

16 minutes ago, ThisismineScios said:

I don't think Jones had much value. He's blocked in the OF, Fletcher at 2B, and has lost his luster a bit. Perry has people from Atlanta, the Dodgers, Royals, and Brewers (and now Toronto) working in the FO with him. They clearly aren't very high on Jones' upside, and think he was expendable. If the Angels only gave up Jones and took a $3-5 million hit, it's worth it. I'd love to see this be the solidifying on the back end for them to sign another starter. But this would in theory allow them to trade Canning. Canning is controlled and unlike Barria, Sandoval, or Suarez has shown that he has real upside to be a #3. Him and Adell (plus a few others) could land Marquez or Castillo. Not saying they will but now they could trade Canning if the right team wanted him. 

Holy shit, best username/profile pic combo i've seen in years.

Perry
2:19
Why did I trade for Alex Cobb?

Steve Adams
2:19
I legitimately have no idea what compelled the Angels to make that move. I get it if you want an able-bodied veteran to soak up some innings, but man ... could've kept Jones and just signed Fiers or Shoemaker or Porcello or someone for a few million.

2:20
Not that Jahmai Jones is any sort of elite prospect, but if you even think he can be a passable bench piece, why make this move? There's just nothing outside Cobb's ground-ball rate that looks too appealing.