• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Breaking: Alex Cobb TRADED to Angels for Jahmai Jones

jordan

3 minutes ago, floplag said:

OK at 5 mil... i can hang, as long as its actually setting up something else.... it has to be, right?  lol 

If they sign another SP, they pretty much have to make a trade.  They currently have Bundy, Heaney, Quintana, Cobb, and Canning.  So if they sign another SP without making a trade, they're at 6 starters (without even thinking about Ohtani).  I'm still of the opinion that what you see right now is what you're going to get when it comes to the rotation...But perhaps I'm wrong. 

6 minutes ago, floplag said:

OK at 5 mil... i can hang, as long as its actually setting up something else.... it has to be, right?  lol 

Could be as simple as they want a reliever who costs slightly more and they don't have enough money for another 7-10m starter and whoever they're trying to acquire. But I doubt they're doing nothing else. This deals reeks of opening up payroll space for something else. 

That said, unless they really like Cobb and whoever the other player they are hypothetically targeting is, I can't see them dumping Jones for that. Could be something bigger they're clearing money for. 

2 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

If they sign another SP, they pretty much have to make a trade.  They currently have Bundy, Heaney, Quintana, Cobb, and Canning.  So if they sign another SP without making a trade, they're at 6 starters (without even thinking about Ohtani).  I'm still of the opinion that what you see right now is what you're going to get when it comes to the rotation...But perhaps I'm wrong. 

I think so too. I think they will look for an arm that still has an option, that they can keep in AAA if needed. The last spot i could see being waiver claim for an of'er at the end of Spring Training.

8 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

Yeah, they'd need to trade Bundy (not happening), Canning (doubtful unless trading for someone really good), or Heaney (Bingo). Ohtani has the sixth spot reserved. If he can't go, it's Barria or Sandoval. I won't assume they're grabbing another starter, but it's possible. Certainly the Cobb deal is such that it opens the door for such a scenario. 

1 minute ago, Pancake Bear said:

Yeah, they'd need to trade Bundy (not happening), Canning (doubtful unless trading for someone really good), or Heaney (Bingo). Ohtani has the sixth spot reserved. If he can't go, it's Barria or Sandoval. I won't assume they're grabbing another starter, but it's possible. Certainly the Cobb deal is such that it opens the door for such a scenario. 

Just seems like a lot of moving pieces.  Trading Jones to get Cobb, then trading Heaney (+ potentially other pieces) for Player X, then signing Bauer/Odorizzi/whoever?  Why not just keep Heaney and Jones, and sign whoever the other SP is, if that's the end goal?  Seems like a lot of trouble (and also hoping/praying that Heaney or whoever you're trying to trade would net you some usable pieces, before you sign the other SP).

11 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

They Already need to trade someone.

As it stands it looks like: Bundy, Heaney, Quintana, Canning, Cobb, Ohtani, Barria/Sandoval.

1 minute ago, jsnpritchett said:

Just seems like a lot of moving pieces.  Trading Jones to get Cobb, then trading Heaney (+ potentially other pieces) for Player X, then signing Bauer/Odorizzi/whoever?  Why not just keep Heaney and Jones, and sign whoever the other SP is, if that's the end goal?  Seems like a lot of trouble (and also hoping/praying that Heaney or whoever you're trying to trade would net you some usable pieces, before you sign the other SP).

Maybe they see Cobb as potential for better season that might match or be better than Heaney. Plus, Heaney has much more value than Cobb did and the Angels might think they can now flip him + prospects to save money but get someone good in return. 

7 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

Money. Cobb saves them cash this year vs. Heaney. 

Even valuing Jones conservatively, based on the terrible AA performance and required 40 man spot, he's still with around 4 million by himself, and again that's conservative. You could make an argument he's with as much as 10 million.

That's basically paying 9 million in deferred value to Baltimore for Alex Cobb. Would Cobb have gotten 1/9 in free agency? Highly doubtful. Probably 1/6. Seeing as Archer just got 1/6.5 with a considerably higher ceiling, I'd value the Angels overpay conservatively at 3 million. 

In my opinion, it's actually more like 6 million.

The deal would've been fair of they covered 100% of his salary. 

And no wonder Baltimore was willing to eat 67% of the month owed. No one else was stupid enough to take on money AND give them a solid prospect in return. 

Minasian screwed this one up big time. 

Even if Cobb reverses the clock and eats innings with an ERA under 4.00, it's about the value you paid at the time and at the time of the trade, it's a huge overpay. 

Honestly, my guess is that when all is said and done, it'll be a small loss for the Angels. Cobb is going to decent, like 150 innings and a 4.25 ERA, and Jones will do fine in AAA this year, will be ok in 2022 in the majors and will turn into a surprisingly decent starting 2B/LF in 2023 and beyond. By that time though, the trade will be a distant memory. It'll always be an overpay, but we'll be over it by then. 

Hopefully Minasian doesn't make any more clearly stupid decisions like this though.