• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Breaking: Alex Cobb TRADED to Angels for Jahmai Jones

jordan

3 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

A couple million, maybe a bit more depending on how much they can defer.  That shouldn't make or break any other decisions.

1 minute ago, jsnpritchett said:

I hope I'm right!  🙂 It's what I've been saying all along: from a season-planning standpoint, you just cannot count on his regular availability as a starting pitcher in any reasonable fashion.

I'm seeing a pattern here.

I think you're all setting yourself up for disappointment if you think there's another move on the horizon pitching wise.

- First, they don't need to make a trade. Ohtani is the 6th starter and Barria is in long relief. That's a set up you want. If Ohtani is healthy, he's an ace on a strict pitch and inning count. Meaning he'll be relegated to 4-5 innings to protect him, so by function, they'll need Barria to go a couple innings every 6th day regardless.

- Second, teams that need pitching, don't trade pitching. Heaney and Canning aren't being dealt before the season starts.

- Third, keeping Sandoval in AAA is the exact sort of depth this team needs.

- Fourth, I think Detmers and Rodriguez are closer than most people here even realize. They might be ready in May, or at the latest, the start of next season. The likely ETA is probably July/August for both of them and you don't want impede that path. 

- Fifth, it's clear that Minasian didn't identify the Angels pitching problems as a lack of upside as much as he viewed them to be a lack of floor, and ill-fitting. He's got a very strong defensive infield so he acquired two pitchers that can both keep the ball on the ground and manage innings to save the wear and tear on the bullpen. Let's hope he right.

I bet the deferred money for Cobb is at least 2mil.  Which means they got a SP for about 3m in 2021 money.  

just a little math here.  

If the Angels trade Heaney and sign Bauer for about 28m AAV, they'll likely be about 1m below the luxury tax.  

or more likely, They could include Heaney in a trade to acquire whoever that costs more than Heaney, it keeps the Halos below Arte's budget.  

or they got a meh yet serviceable arm for almost free.  

(mind you if Jones becomes a solid major league player, this place will lose it's shit.)

Frankly, it's still a dumb move unless there are other moves. 

Make it make sense Perry.  Make it make sense.  

15 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

Help me out, because I'm not sure what you're saying.

No sane executive would go into the season saying, let's grab six other starters and assume Ohtani won't pitch except occasionally, even with doubts over his health. He might have another season like 2020, definitely. But you can't go into a season assuming that. That's why you have depth. Which we do. 

10 minutes ago, Second Base said:

I think you're all setting yourself up for disappointment if you think there's another move on the horizon pitching wise.

Expecting? No. Observing that the way the deal is set up saves money and could be a precursor to another move? Definitely. I've stopped assuming they're going to do anything I think makes sense. 

8 minutes ago, Pancake Bear said:

No sane executive would go into the season saying, let's grab six other starters and assume Ohtani won't pitch except occasionally, even with doubts over his health. He might have another season like 2020, definitely. But you can't go into a season assuming that. That's why you have depth. Which we do. 

I literally can't tell if you are agreeing with him.  

Okay, at the risk of looking stupid at a later date, I have no idea why the Angels made this deal, losing a bench prospect in the process. You were 100% correct, @Dochalo. Have no idea why we couldn't try to sign Archer at $6.5M or even bring back Matt Shoemaker or the like, it is about the same difference, probably.

Hope the Angels front office saw or knows something that we don't.

When the Angels acquired Rendon, he said at his press conference (as did Maddon) they were either going to get some pitching this year or next year. Obviously, they swung and missed on Wheeler, Strasburg and Cole, and I highly doubt they meant Teheran, Bundy, Quintana and Cobb. 

So maybe, just maybe they make a move on Bauer. I highly doubt it though. I think the more likely scenario is that they simply swung and missed on every good FA and trade target, and got lucky with Bundy.

Edited by Second Base

1 minute ago, Second Base said:

When the Angels acquired Rendon, he said at his peers conference (as did Maddon) they were either going to get some pitching this year or next year. Obviously, they swung and missed on Wheeler, Strasburg and Cole, and I highly doubt they meant Teheran, Bundy, Quintana and Cobb. 

So maybe, just maybe they make a move on Bauer. I highly doubt it though. I think the more likely scenario is that they simply swung and missed on every good FA and trade target, and got lucky with Bundy.

who's this Bauer you speak of?