• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Breaking: Alex Cobb TRADED to Angels for Jahmai Jones

jordan

Why we can judge this move on the surface, it may behoove us not to get too worked up until we see what happens next. 

This could be an acquisition so that we have a replacement for say a guy with a lot more value to a team in a trade that would send Heaney in a package deal w/ prospects for Marquez, Hendricks or something else. You just never know. 

One thing is for certain. The Angels need depth and innings guys with how good their offense and improved BP is going to be. So while this move isn't SEXY, it makes us better. 

Not really too concerned about 2022 rotation.

1 year deals will be available then also. 

Braves rotation prior to their stability (prospects arriving) if I remember correctly consisted of the Bartolo Colons, RA Dickeys, Brandon McCarthy, etc.......

Not apologizing or honking for this move, just maybe theres a bigger plan any of us understand.

29 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

4 years/$57M (2018-21)

• signed by Baltimore as a free agent 3/21/18
  • 18:$14M, 19:$14M 20:$14M, 21:$15M
  • annual performance bonus: $0.5M for 180 innings pitched
  • $20M is deferred ($6.5M of 2018 salary and $4.5M annually of 2019-21 salaries), to be paid $2M on 11/30/22 and $1.8M annually each 11/30, 2023-32)
  • if Cobb does not pitch 130 innings in 2020, an additional $5.5M of 2021 salary is deferred, to be paid $1.75M annually each 11/30, 2033-35
  • no-trade protection: may block deals to all clubs in 2018 and 10 clubs annually in 2019-21

Was going off of memory, at one point, about two years ago, I started to write up an Alex Cobb article for AW but ended up scrapping it.

The thing about this is that if the Angels picked up more of the deferred money, that would still keep current money "less untouched", i.e. they could pick up Cobb for "less" now and use him for this season and pay out the deferred money over time.

This whole acquisition of Cobb is a real juggling act in terms of contractual obligations. I hope the Angels don't take on too much of that deferred money, it is an anchor. If they could get Cobb for like less than $7M-8M and only have to pay 1-3 years of the deferred money (NOT through 2032), that is probably a win?

4 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Why we can judge this move on the surface, it may behoove us not to get too worked up until we see what happens next. 

This could be an acquisition so that we have a replacement for say a guy with a lot more value to a team in a trade that would send Heaney in a package deal w/ prospects for Marquez, Hendricks or something else. You just never know. 

One thing is for certain. The Angels need depth and innings guys with how good their offense and improved BP is going to be. So while this move isn't SEXY, it makes us better. 

1 minute ago, T.G. said:

You must be new here.  Welcome to AW, Chuck.

Look who popped their positivity pill this morning! 😄

1 minute ago, Angelsjunky said:

This move sounds like its 2nd down and long, QB throws a lateral pass for a couple yards loss.

I sure hope the prospect isn't in our top 20.

Two sentences? That's all you have on this Monday morning?  You must of had an awesome weekend.

I think some of you are getting worked up over nothing.  It may end up being something, but until Minasian is done with the off-season, there's no reason to judge this or anything else he's done until we have a complete picture. 

It's all a work in progress... and hopefully, there's actual progress.

Not every deal is going to wow AW.  Some deals don't make sense until everything is complete.

Many of you wanted a guy who was process oriented... well, let him work the process.  There's lots of steps in a process.  This is just one of them.

7 minutes ago, ettin said:

Was going off of memory, at one point, about two years ago, I started to write up an Alex Cobb article for AW but ended up scrapping it.

The thing about this is that if the Angels picked up more of the deferred money, that would still keep current money "less untouched", i.e. they could pick up Cobb for "less" now and use him for this season and pay out the deferred money over time.

This whole acquisition of Cobb is a real juggling act in terms of contractual obligations. I hope the Angels don't take on too much of that deferred money, it is an anchor. If they could get Cobb for like less than $7M-8M and only have to pay 1-3 years of the deferred money (NOT through 2032), that is probably a win?

I will also note that deferred money has always confused me a bit, in terms of when it is paid and how but it *seems* like his contract is clearly stating he gets $1.8M per year through 2032.

I think we're overthinking this. Angels fans are thinking it's part of some complicated greater plan to bring in a TOR starter or as a way of acquiring Santander. 

It's not. It's Alex Cobb, that's it. 

At least it's not likely anyway. 

I understand why so many are confused and disappointed. We had visions of Bauer and Sonny Gray at the start of the off-season and ending up with Jose Quintana and Alex Cobb is just another in a long stream of disappointment in Pitching acquisitions.

But this trade increases the floor of the starting rotation. Instead of injuries derailing the team and forcing the team to start guys like Dillon Peters in an attempt to compete, they'll now have steady, competitive pitching. 

Their pitchers won't be responsible for winning many ball games at all. But they also won't be responsible for losing them as often as the past.  Plus, he'll only be making around 7-8 million, and the Angels will have the opportunity to bring in better SP in 2022, and it gives them a year to develop Detmers and Rodriguez. 

It's not what I would've done. But, for the long term health of the organization, it's probably a smart path. 

Edited by Second Base

1 minute ago, ettin said:

I will also note that deferred money has always confused me a bit, in terms of when it is paid and how but it *seems* like his contract is clearly stating he gets $1.8M per year through 2032.

With the deferred money and unclear prorated bonuses from the shortened season this seems like a complicated deal for average SP. 

Maybe the Angels and Callaway know how to turn Baltimore Orioles pitchers around based on their pitch sequences and fine tuning to use their dominate pitch more than their offerings that get crushed.

There's also getting out of the bandbox of Camden Yards and facing some really tough offenses in the AL East.

It wouldn't be the first time they took on an O's pitcher and turned their career's around. 

Bundy:

Screen Shot 2021-02-01 at 9.19.04 AM.png

Cobb:

Screen Shot 2021-02-01 at 10.10.31 AM.png

3 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Maybe the Angels and Callaway know how to turn Baltimore Orioles pitchers around based on their pitch sequences and fine tuning to use their dominate pitch more than their offerings that get crushed.

There's also getting out of the bandbox of Camden Yards and facing some really tough offenses in the AL East.

It wouldn't be the first time they took on an O's pitcher and turned their career's around.

Not a bad take for a new guy.

16 minutes ago, floplag said:

Lets hope ... this has to be part of something larger.

No, it doesn't.  And Alex Cobb, on the equivalent of like a 1yr, 6-8mil deal is fine.  I was balking at the price of 15mil for a year.

Again, we need league average to above league average arms to help fill out our rotation.  We had a number of disastrous starts last year in which we fell behind far too far to reasonable catch up.  Replace those awful starts with someone who can generate a league average start, and that does help considerably.

As it stands, we currently have Bundy, Heaney, Quintana, Canning, Cobb, Ohtani, Barria, Sandoval in terms of SP depth.  If we get one more, which sounds like the plan, then that's actually a lot of SP depth - way more than we have had in recent years.

That does hold value.

50 minutes ago, Angels 1961 said:

Odorizzi, Paxson and Walker I believe are holding out for 2 or 3 year deals. Risk on those pitchers are greater with history of injury. Alex Cobb on a 1 year seems to be a lower risk. Minasian has a plan for future which includes halo rotation. I keep reading will have to replace entire rotation next year. Canning, Barria, Sandoval, Detmers, Rodriquez and maybe Ohtani is a start for 2022. Many options in trades and free agents will also be out there. I for one am glad we do not spend big on Bauer. I feel Angels will contend for west this year and make run at a playoff spot. I hope to be at a playoff this year.

Including a trade at the deadline in July....sign Bauer and we probably don't have that option without moving some other significant pieces.....I don't know what Minasian's plan is but let's give it some time.....

2 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

Cobb would be a minor league deal with in an invite to spring if he were a FA.  Except the Angels are going to pay him $7.5 mil.

I think I mentioned that there would be a head scratcher type deal for a pitcher.  My entire scalp just broke out with psoriasis.  

I have no idea how much we are going to pay him, but you have to think we aren’t paying him that much unless we are getting another player from them.  I also have no idea if he would only get a minor league deal when a guy like Moore gets $3 million deal.