• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Breaking: Alex Cobb TRADED to Angels for Jahmai Jones

jordan

I think Angels fans are selling Cobb a little short here. Decent enough fastball, outstanding splitter, good slider and a "meh" change piece. Pitches to contact, generates a ton of ground balls and can work deep into games. 

Because he gives up more contact than your average starter, he's more prone to getting roughed up when his command is off, and that's a debit drawback. There's not a lot of room for mistakes. 

Having said that, being out of the AL East will make some of those mistakes less damning. 

If he's healthy, I expect Alex Cobb will be as good as Jose Quintana and Jaime Barria. 

From what I can tell, it appears Minasian is building what figures to be a steady, unspectacular staff that will keep them in the game more often than not.

1 minute ago, Stradling said:

You should probably sit out of this and most off season threads  TG. Your contribution to these threads is like “Can he pitch?” Posts when they acquire a catcher or outfielder.  

Thanks for the suggestion, but I'll pass.

11 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Its not a new splitter but a splitter change.  It has the same look and action as his two seam but at 85mph vs. 88 mph.  His 4 seam was at 93.  These three clips make him look nasty.  I really liked how he used the two seam to come inside on lefties for a called strike and back door righties.

1 minute ago, Second Base said:

I think Angels fans are selling Cobb a little short here. Decent enough fastball, outstanding splitter, good slider and a "meh" change piece. Pitches to contact, generates a ton of ground balls and can work deep into games. 

Because he gives up more contact than your average starter, he's more prone to getting roughed up when his command is off, and that's a debit drawback. There's not a lot of room for mistakes. 

Having said that, being out of the AL East will make some of those mistakes less damning. 

If he's healthy, I expect Alex Cobb will be as good as Jose Quintana and Jaime Barria. 

From what I can tell, it appears Minasian is building what figures to be a steady, unspectacular staff that will keep them in the game more often than not.

I don't know....

This move doesn't make any sense UNLESS we are getting one of their top prospects OR will be making another trade for a top arm. 

If Cobb compares to another #4 type then the Angels could use that depth for another trade to beef it up somewhere else. 

Cobb is riddled with injuries and almost the worst in the league with hard contact. 

$15M is a BIG price for a #4 - #5 type guy. Even if the Orioles eat $10M of that (which they won't) he's not worth it. 

I would have preferred Odorizzi over Cobb.....

Corresponding trade needs to happen or else the Angels are up to their usual BS

4 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Even if is just Cobb, much like Quintana, if he gives us 30 GS/180 IP, 4.25 ERA, we're in good shape.

I don't know if it means we are in good shape but we are better off with Quintana and Cobb than we were last year....and they are much better one year options than were Harvey and Cahill....Too early to judge but it looks like Minasian has done a better job of finding value than Eppler did....good enough to contend?  Not sure...expanded playoffs would help....

5 minutes ago, Second Base said:

He's a solid 3/4 type SP. Much better than what we've had, but not part of a typical SP 1, SP2, SP3 playoff team rotation. 

7 minutes ago, Second Base said:

Reddit getting involved

1 minute ago, floplag said:

Sidenote, ae we actually planning on having a team in 22?  WE dont seem to want to acquire anyone past this year, lol 

We'll still have Canning, Barria, Ohtani, Sandoval, Detmers and Rodriguez in 2022.

Just now, Chuckster70 said:

We'll still have Canning, Barria, Ohtani, Sandoval, Detmers and Rodriguez in 2022.

This was largely a joke, but were creating a massive problem for next year having to replace so much at the same time, anything gained by the loss of Pujols money will be lost to it.  WE havent planned this very well at all. 

Just now, floplag said:

This was largely a joke, but were creating a massive problem for next year having to replace so much at the same time, anything gained by the loss of Pujols money will be lost to it.  WE havent planned this very well at all. 

Syndergaard and McCullers are FA's after this season. I would love to get either one depending on their health in 2021.

Just now, floplag said:

I agree that acquiring a starter beyond this year is crucial.  As for the planning, I think you have it backwards.  The plan is/was to use the money coming off the books to acquire pitching. 

6 minutes ago, ettin said:

If I recall correctly, Cobb has a lot of his salary deferred, for several years.

4 years/$57M (2018-21)

• signed by Baltimore as a free agent 3/21/18
  • 18:$14M, 19:$14M 20:$14M, 21:$15M
  • annual performance bonus: $0.5M for 180 innings pitched
  • $20M is deferred ($6.5M of 2018 salary and $4.5M annually of 2019-21 salaries), to be paid $2M on 11/30/22 and $1.8M annually each 11/30, 2023-32)
  • if Cobb does not pitch 130 innings in 2020, an additional $5.5M of 2021 salary is deferred, to be paid $1.75M annually each 11/30, 2033-35
  • no-trade protection: may block deals to all clubs in 2018 and 10 clubs annually in 2019-21

1 minute ago, Stradling said:

I agree that acquiring a starter beyond this year is crucial.  As for the planning, I think you have it backwards.  The plan is/was to use the money coming off the books to acquire pitching. 

Zero reason that had to be either or.
Youre saying that the plan all along was to wait till 22?  Then what the hades have we all been talking about ?

19 minutes ago, DMVol said:

I don't know if it means we are in good shape but we are better off with Quintana and Cobb than we were last year....good enough to contend?  Not sure...expanded playoffs would help....

This was essentially the rotation last year, and this was probably our best rotation in the last several seasons...

1. Heaney (12 GS): 4.46 ERA in 66.2 IP
  2. Bundy (11 GS): 3.29 ERA in 65.2 IP
  3. Canning (11 GS) and Andriese (1 GS) (12 GS): 4.50 ERA in 58 IP
  4. Sandoval(6), Barria (5) and Peters (1) (12 GS): 5.76 ERA in 50 IP
  5. Teheran (9), Ohtani(2), and Suarez (2) (13 GS): 14.24 ERA in 30.1 IP 

I tried grouping the guys together to avoid dramatically skewing results, but this is how our rotation split 60 games up last year. 

If Quintana and Cobb can each give us 4.20, even 4.50 ERA at the back of the rotation, we're in good shape. 
I said the exact same thing about Harvey, Cahill, and Teheran. But also about Bundy. 

An improvement is an improvement. 

I'll also iterate that this is one of my biggest gripes when people say "we already have a rotation full of #3-#4s" because clearly, we don't, unless you think a 4.50 ERA is #3 quality. 

For much of the past decade, the Angels have a rotation typically of one or two #3s, maybe a #4, and then a majority of our starts rounded out by guys who are more like AAAA filler. We've yet to have a rotation of four of five guys putting up numbers consistent for a #3-#4 SP (say, 3.75-4.50 ERA) for an entire season since probably the early Dipoto days, off top of head. 

We've had a bunch of prospects and vets who maybe have #3-#4 ceilings or expectations, but that hasn't panned out in nearly a decade.

Edited by totdprods

Odorizzi, Paxson and Walker I believe are holding out for 2 or 3 year deals. Risk on those pitchers are greater with history of injury. Alex Cobb on a 1 year seems to be a lower risk. Minasian has a plan for future which includes halo rotation. I keep reading will have to replace entire rotation next year. Canning, Barria, Sandoval, Detmers, Rodriquez and maybe Ohtani is a start for 2022. Many options in trades and free agents will also be out there. I for one am glad we do not spend big on Bauer. I feel Angels will contend for west this year and make run at a playoff spot. I hope to be at a playoff this year.