• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Tyler Skaggs, R.I.P.

1 minute ago, Stradling said:

I couldn't agree more.  Going through this with someone familiar would be nice.  

Gubi and Frenchie did that special report today and pointed to Pujols as the rock because of what he’s been through here and with the Cardinals.  Really solid point.   They did a great job.

2 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

I know some here arent fans, so maybe ill look like a weirdo stating this. But it feels "odd" to go through this without Sosh.

Say what you want about his lineups, matchups, whatever. But he was the one constant on this team for 20 years. He was an absolute rock with the Adenhart tragedy. Kind of wish he was around today as we go through this.

I don’t consider that being a “weirdo” at all.  Like you stated, Sosh was the rock that the team needed during that time.  He was a calming presence at all the news conferences.  He was the face of the team.  

I don’t know if it feels strange, per se but eventually Ausmus is going to have to say something to the press when the time is right.  Right now probably isn’t the time.  

Just cant stop shaking my head.  My wife can’t stop watching Fox Sports Net and crying.  We have a 27 year old son, so my wife thinks like a mother.  Like Tyler’s mother....

So tragic, and such a weird deja-vu feeling. Ten years ago we took a family vacation to Disneyland and Hawaii, and it was a week after the Adenhart tragedy. We leave Sunday for the same vacation to Disneyland and Hawaii. My kids, who were so little at the time both remember that an Angel player had died, and there was a memorial built by fans outside the stadium as we lined up to get in. 

2 minutes ago, NJHalo said:

So tragic, and such a weird deja-vu feeling. Ten years ago we took a family vacation to Disneyland and Hawaii, and it was a week after the Adenhart tragedy. We leave Sunday for the same vacation to Disneyland and Hawaii. My kids, who were so little at the time both remember that an Angel player had died, and there was a memorial built by fans outside the stadium as we lined up to get in. 

I went to the first game after Adenhart passed and I post about that often.  It was the most emotional game I have ever been to and I was at both game 6 and 7 of the WS in 2002.  It was an amazing experience.  I want to be at the first game back, so I will make that happen.  

Been looking through this thread over the last half-hour and, obviously, I'm shocked and saddened like the rest of you. Of course, I immediately thought of Nick Adenhart, and also of Darryl Kile, whose death came under similar circumstances.

I was already having an irritating day, having to go the doctor for a back condition that flared up, and then realizing I had a sudden problem with my car that will now be dealt with, but then I sat down for lunch with my Dad and hit the twitter ap on my phone, and the first tweet was from the club announcing the death. That put everything into perspective.

My thoughts and prayers to his wife and family. God that wedding video looks so melancholy now, seeing a young couple with their whole lives supposedly ahead of them and not knowing that Tyler would have just seven months left.

And, although it's already been stated, I have to say that Santa Monica Observer story was about the worst piece of journalism I've ever seen, and I've been in the newspaper business for a lot of years. The whole thing about the drugs was pure speculation, no sourcing or anything, and there was no reason to compare it with Tom Petty's death. If that showed up at my newspaper, the editors would have spiked it immediately and the reporter would have been called in for a little meeting. And, then he brings up Tommy Hanson's death and how the Angels had to "deal with" it. Um, Hanson had been out of the organization for two years when he died, so I don't think this hit the Angels quite as hard as the death today. Nice job on your research.

I remember washing my truck just after adenhart died. Maybe a week after.

Listening to the after show on the radio, back when Terry Smith would do it. Some guy called in and said it was sad, but that the Angels need to move past it, they cant play shitty going forward. "No excuses". Basically what the idiot who called in today said.

Terry absolutely destroyed the guy. You could tell it hit home with him. Hung up on him with a "how dare you", then raged for another few minutes. Talked about how no one has any idea what its like in the clubhouse after something like that.  

I think that with how long skaggs was here, and how popular he was with his teammates, the team funk will last a lot longer. And everyone should remember that when they start playing again.

38 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

I remember washing my truck just after adenhart died. Maybe a week after.

Listening to the after show on the radio, back when Terry Smith would do it. Some guy called in and said it was sad, but that the Angels need to move past it, they cant play shitty going forward. "No excuses". Basically what the idiot who called in today said.

Terry absolutely destroyed the guy. You could tell it hit home with him. Hung up on him with a "how dare you", then raged for another few minutes. Talked about how no one has any idea what its like in the clubhouse after something like that.  

I think that with how long skaggs was here, and how popular he was with his teammates, the team funk will last a lot longer. And everyone should remember that when they start playing again.

I remember hearing this story before. Terry had to put up with a lot of inane comments back when Angel Talk was still a thing, but he always kept his composure. You'd have to be a professional a-hole and say something entirely insensitive and douchey to get Terry to respond in genuine anger.

11 minutes ago, Taylor said:

I remember hearing this story before. Terry had to put up with a lot of inane comments back when Angel Talk was still a thing, but he always kept his composure. You'd have to be a professional a-hole and say something entirely insensitive and douchey to get Terry to respond in genuine anger.

Yeah, he always kept his cool. Even when Mel would call in (!). Endless nights of silly trade ideas, this guy sucks, etc etc.

But then some idiot gets through who thinks sports are more important than they are, and Terry lost it. Rightly so.

It would be bad enough if your coworker told you to get over it. Coming from a fan, an outsider, is beyond ridiculous.

31 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Yeah, he always kept his cool. Even when Mel would call in (!). Endless nights of silly trade ideas, this guy sucks, etc etc.

But then some idiot gets through who thinks sports are more important than they are, and Terry lost it. Rightly so.

It would be bad enough if your coworker told you to get over it. Coming from a fan, an outsider, is beyond ridiculous.

Mel from Diamond Bar! I forgot about that guy. There was also Jeff from Whittier.