• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

2018 Hot Stove League

greginpsca

44 minutes ago, Tank said:

hey, hold on a doggone minute, colorado. we have plans and you're gonna screw them up. 

I agree(d)

On September 17, 2018 at 3:24 PM, Lou said:

because waiting until (insert name here) becomes a free agent has never worked 

I'm not sure if it wax @Dochalo or @ettin, perhaps even @Inside Pitch but this guy agrees with your assessment that Harper isn't that much better than our own Justin Upton at this current time. Yes I know Harper is younger and better, but at the cost of 100 million vs. 350+ million over the next 10 years? Hell naw

Bryce needs to sign somewhere.  These stories are getting tiring.  I thought he had decided and we would hear this week?  Now I see that he met with the Giants again yesterday, who are now talking about a 10 year deal.  At some point there are going to be some really butthurt people who thought that meetings went well and they had the inside track.  Crazy how long this is taking.

23 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

I'm not sure if it wax @Dochalo or @ettin, perhaps even @Inside Pitch but this guy agrees with your assessment that Harper isn't that much better than our own Justin Upton at this current time. Yes I know Harper is younger and better, but at the cost of 100 million vs. 350+ million over the next 10 years? Hell naw

I made that connection -- the others likely have as well because it's fairly obvious...    Harper is still all about what he might become in the eyes of people.   He is for all intents and purposes Howie Kendrick, a fantasy version where he once won a batting title and everyone expects him to do it on an even grander scale as he "gets better".   Only Harper really hasn't gotten better.

People hated Howie for what they believed he should have been -- they love Harper for what they believe he will become, but both players seem to be graded on what people expect/expected them to be rather than what they actually are.

Edited by Inside Pitch

4 minutes ago, WeatherWonk said:

There's no way Harper's defense is worse than Upton's, is there? I dont trust defensive metrics much.

There are a ton of players who are worse defensively than Upton and Harper is one of them.  Bad jumps, bad routes, missed the cut off man.  

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

There are a ton of players who are worse defensively than Upton and Harper is one of them.  Bad jumps, bad routes, missed the cut off man.  

Is there a source on this or is this relying on the numbers? Curious to see why it ranked so low in recent years

7 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

I made that connection -- the others likely have as well because it's fairly obvious...    Harper is still all about what he might become in the eyes of people.   He is for all intents and purposes Howie Kendrick, a fantasy version where he once won a batting title and everyone expects him to do it on an even grander scale as he "gets better".   Only Harper really hasn't gotten better.

People hated Howie for what they believed he should have been -- they love Harper for what they believe he will become, but both players seem to be graded on what people expect/expected them to be rather than what they actually are.

Best way to put it.

I mentioned a few weeks back that Harper, to many (if not most) is still the guy who got his GED to get drafted early, and was going to own all. Like Lebron and other high school to NBA basketball players, he was a huge name in the sporting world before he played his first pro game.

Contrast with Trout, who more or less came out of nowhere.

With all of Harpers talent, its not a stretch to think he could turn a corner for good one of these years and become the best in the game... but its going on 7 years now...

Just as much as its possible he becomes a perennial mvp, its just as possible he never becomes it, and is "simply" a star player. Like hes been. Like Upton has.

Ill throw another wrinkle in it. Aside from what theyre both good at (or flawed at), Harper has a ton in common with Heyward, pre Cubs... and those pining for him should keep that in mind.

conspiracy theory - Farhan Zaidi knows that the dogs are and have always been all in on Harper.  The Dogs know that Harper wants to play on the west coast and has never really wanted to play for phillie and they also know that no other team out west is willing to go big on him.  So they think they're in the drivers seat.  So Farhan and Boras hatch a plan to have SF drive up Harper's price in order to F with the dogs.  

the Giants are a mess.  they've got a bunch of old players and a lot of committed payroll to dead weight.  They're coming off a 73 win season and their lineup is brutal.  Their pitching staff is even worse.  They might win 80 games WITH Bryce Harper.   They also play in a major pitchers park that crushes lefty power.   Harper to the Giants makes absolutely no sense.  The Giants also have an abysmal farm system.  

This is a play and Boras will somehow reward the Giants later.  If the dogs don't bite (which it seems they may have already), Harper could still take the Phils money but it's not anywhere close to his first choice.  

18 hours ago, Biergott said:

This is pretty crazy.  Lots of big names still without a team if I am reading this correctly:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/12/2018-19-mlb-free-agents.html

90% of these guys are 32 or older. Many of the under 32 years old will eventually sign, Harper, Kimbrel, Keuchel. Hard to believe Martin "Machete" Maldonado as yet to sign a deal of some kind.

18 hours ago, Biergott said:

This is pretty crazy.  Lots of big names still without a team if I am reading this correctly:

I would like to see the Halos grab reliever Adam Warren. He put up solid numbers in the AL East, and was always overshadowed by the bigger names in the Yankees pen. 

20 hours ago, Biergott said:

What about giving Carlos Gonzalez and Adam Jones each a call?

With Kole already screwing around with his stance it’s time to just cut our losses. We were either last or 2nd last in terms of OBP from the leadoff spot last season. It’s time to shuffle things around and either one of these two would likely give us at minimum a .250 avg with a .320 OBP which I’d take.

9 hours ago, Sean-Regan said:

So, if Harper ends up signing with the Dodgers, do we give credit to Redditguy for the scoop, or what?

6 hours ago, arch stanton said:

Sure, as long as you don't own a watch. Or a calendar

Maybe Harper has been signed this whole time by the Dodgers and this has all been a show to try to get the players union more power.

shocked uh oh GIF