• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

2018 Hot Stove League

greginpsca

2 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

This is completely....

MLBPA should make this book https://www.amazon.com/Whole-Different-Ball-Game-Revolution/dp/1566635993 required reading for all their players...   

There is no way things get where they are if Miller were still at the head of the players union.

The real question is, how long will it before before the players figure it out? They went and put ex-players at the head of their union and they are dumb as rocks.

Obviously they know there is a problem, but they clearly have no idea what the source of the problem is. I'm concerned they will keep harping on the collusion angle and threaten a work stoppage at some point.

13 minutes ago, DMVol said:

Neither had any respect for the game...they only cared about making money for the players in their union....that is what you do in their position...

Miller was pro player sure, but he believed the game would be better if there would be greater player movement among other things -- he was right.   Dude should be in the HOF.

59 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Miller was pro player sure, but he believed the game would be better if there would be greater player movement among other things -- he was right.   Dude should be in the HOF.

I think Miller probably had a broader view of things but they may have been a product of the times, the early days of the baseball labor struggle...Fehr was totally myopic...

24 minutes ago, DMVol said:

I think Miller probably had a broader view of things but they may have been a product of the times, the early days of the baseball labor struggle...Fehr was totally myopic...

Agreed 100% on Fehr..    Miller learned a lot from the steel workers situation and how it blew up in their faces.   I think that helped build that broad view you speak of.... which I totally agree with.

1 hour ago, Randy Gradishar said:

Jesus. If these guys are getting 300, imagine what Simmons is going to get.

Baseball contracts are out of control.

Simmons will be 31 as a FA, and his bat is not at all what Machado and Harper’s have been. His bat has been solid the last two years, but I wouldn’t bet on it being average or above for five more years. His value is primarily in his defense. If he doesn’t get a higher deal than Cozart last offseason, I wouldn’t be shocked. 

8 minutes ago, Sean-Regan said:

Simmons will be 31 as a FA, and his bat is not at all what Machado and Harper’s have been. His bat has been solid the last two years, but I wouldn’t bet on it being average or above for five more years. His value is primarily in his defense. If he doesn’t get a higher deal than Cozart last offseason, I wouldn’t be shocked. 

That would be shocking. Analytics have made front offices cautious, not stupid.

12 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

That would be shocking. Analytics have made front offices cautious, not stupid.

I’m projecting somewhat since his value now is different than what it could be then. Depends a lot on how his offense stands up over the next two seasons. But the market for guys over 30 hasn’t been great, and defense hasn’t been valued as highly. 

6 minutes ago, Randy Gradishar said:

Obviously the age is the key difference, but Simmons has both players beat in literally every other way.

Higher WAR, fewer games. Trending in opposite direction as Harper, and safer and more consistent due to his value coming from defense. And is a respectable human being unlike Machado.

The age is critical, but it's just strange that there seem to be people who think those players are better right now.

Defensive value is a lot less harder to measure, particularly in regard to overall WAR. The age thing will be a major issue. A 31 year old FA is worth a lot less than a 26 year old FA. Unless he stays consistent with the bat or improves, or the market shifts, I don’t see any way Simmons approaches 100 mil. 

I can't help but hope that Borass's game of chicken ends up screwing his client. I don't think it will, and I suspect Harper will end up with 10/$330M. I'm guessing he started with the hope that he'd get $400M and is now trying to get $350M but has only been offered $300M. But I suspect that his and Harper's shared ego simply will not handle anything less than 10/$330M so that Harper gets the biggest contract in sports history. If he doesn't get that, I wouldn't be surprised to see him accept one of these rumored 2-3 year, huge AAV deals with an opt out. Maybe he takes 3/$110M, gets the highest AAV ever, and can opt out after 2019 and try again.