• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

2018 Hot Stove League

greginpsca

1 minute ago, Ochocinco! said:

Anything more than a 1 year deal seems ridiculous to me so if it’s just that who cares 

Just now, UndertheHalo said:

It is for sure deeper with Moustakas.  Id be fine giving him even like 2 years 14 million.  

A 1 year plus a team friendly (or at least not unfriendly) option year might work....

2 minutes ago, greginpsca said:

If you sign Moose for 2 years, you might just as well start trading Ward and Fletcher, and Rengifo for more pitching.

Why ? Fletcher and Rengifo are middle infielders.  And if Ward turns out to be a viable everyday play you just trade Moose for whatever. 

Edited by UndertheHalo

Just now, UndertheHalo said:

Why ? Fletcher and Rengifo and middle infielders ? And if Ward turns out to be a viable everyday play you just trade Moose for whatever. 

If you commit to Moose, you are showing no commitment to  Ward, Fletcher or Rengifo or anyone else who can play 3base. The players a couple of years behind them would become the focus.

3 minutes ago, greginpsca said:

If you sign Moose for 2 years, you might just as well start trading Ward and Fletcher, and Rengifo for more pitching.

1 minute ago, UndertheHalo said:

Why ? Fletcher and Rengifo and middle infielders ? And if Ward turns out to be a viable everyday play you just trade Moose for whatever. 

We also don't know if Cozart will be 100% and we don't know if he can play 3b on a regular basis....based on limited sample size, he seemed more comfortable at 2b....so lots of questions....you could move Moose at the trade deadline if Ward tears it up in AAA or trade Ward if he tears it up in AAA....signing Moose, more than overloading us, seems to give us depth to cover lots of contingencies...

1 minute ago, DMVol said:

We also don't know if Cozart will be 100% and we don't know if he can play 3b on a regular basis....based on limited sample size, he seemed more comfortable at 2b....so lots of questions....you could move Moose at the trade deadline if Ward tears it up in AAA or trade Ward if he tears it up in AAA....signing Moose, more than overloading us, seems to give us depth to cover lots of contingencies...

This signing would signal lack of confidence in our farm system.

37 minutes ago, RBM said:

I would be surprised if we sign Moustakis but if we did it would probably keep all the young guys at AAA to start the season. Not the worst thing at all. Jones may even start the season at AA. Maybe Fletcher would get a spot as a utility guy but they have La Stella and also need to carry a fourth outfielder. 

I understand your point and agree. But if Eppler want's to grow from within the system then now is the time to start doing that. Fletcher earned 2B and he should be the favorite. If we're still going to spend more on our budget then continue to help the bullpen or starting rotation. 

3 minutes ago, DMVol said:

Our infield is overloaded and unless Eppler is looking to move tons of pieces come deadline and spend a lot next offseason, then it doesn't make sense. If he wants to trade a lot and spend big money then it makes total sense. 

Lack of confidence in the farm system ? We’re all aware that most prospects, even the touted ones end up not being a regular major leaguers right ? 

If we get 3 or 4 of our present top 10 to be regular major league players that will be a solid success.  

Adell and Canning are really the only ones any of us should be really counting on.  And I hesitate to even go there. 

Edited by UndertheHalo

2 minutes ago, greginpsca said:

If you commit to Moose, you are showing no commitment to  Ward, Fletcher or Rengifo or anyone else who can play 3base. The players a couple of years behind them would become the focus.

Fletcher has an option to go down, that’s where I think he starts the season at aaa. Rengifo will be better than Fletcher iyam. Also Rengifo isn’t ready so Moose buys time. There is no commitment to Ward. Also there isn’t to Thiass who’s blocked at the moment. 

3 minutes ago, greginpsca said:

I like Fletcher, Rengifo and Ward.....but they are not Adell level prospects, none of them have close to that type of ceiling....plus, lots of ways things could go---is Cozart healthy? can he play 3b?  can Ward handle 3b defensively and can he hit ML pitching (he didn't last year).....I just think Moose give us more options, particularly if the price isn't steep....but you could certainly argue that if we are going to spend any more money, pitching might make more sense...

10 minutes ago, angelsnationtalk said:

Our infield is overloaded and unless Eppler is looking to move tons of pieces come deadline and spend a lot next offseason, then it doesn't make sense. If he wants to trade a lot and spend big money then it makes total sense. 

For 2b/3b right now, we have Fletcher, Cozart, Rengifo and Ward (not including LaStella since he was signed as a utility guy)...that's not exactly a ton and none are very established....Cozart is coming off of a major injury and has very little experience at either 2b or 3b....Rengifo has never been in the bigs and, a year ago, was a throw in for Cron....A year ago, Ward was a struggling C prospect....Not exactly a ton of pieces I have much confidence in, at least compared to an established guy like Moose...

28 minutes ago, greginpsca said:

One has nothing to do with the other in my view. 

If we did this it does 2 things, it makes an effort to improve the ML club for this year and probably puts us on par or close to it with TB, and opens up variety of trade options either mid season or next off pending how things are progressing.  

The kids time will come, if they are good enough they will force that.  Mous on even a 2 yr deal doesnt block all that and opens up options for trades and depth.  

You can argue this pretty much however you want but the ML level would likely be better with him for this season than without, that reason alone make this a positive to me.  They arent going to start the service time clocks on these kids till they believe we are actually there.  

Bucholz might be the better signing in a vacuum, but this club needs offense or all the pitching in the world wont matter.  He stretches the lineup in that regard, makes it much harder top pitch around other people, and provides addition insurance at a number of spots. 

Im not expecting this to happen, but how it can be seen as a negative if it does i dont get.