• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

2018 Hot Stove League

greginpsca

2 hours ago, mulwin444 said:

He still has options so I was expecting him to start in AAA anyway.  Skaggs, Heaney, Harvey, Barria, and Cahill with Pena as the swing man seems pretty decent for now.

Pretty good for sure. And Canning and Suarez are right behind Pena. Barring catastrophic injuries and dismal performance from several starters we should survive.

9 hours ago, Dochalo said:

grabbing additional rotation help would make me happy.  

I wouldn't give up any of our young depth for one of Boston's crappy catcher though.  Trop is gonna be a big winner under Doug White.  

I like the idea of Buchholz, Santana, or Gio Gonzalez.  Gio in particular.  It seems you could ink 170 ip with an era of 3.7 to 4.2 pretty easily.  

That being stated, at some point you have to sacrifice the known for the unknown or at least the less known.  I think Eppler is intent on finding out what the long term value is of several players this year.  

This was something I was holding out hope for until the 'we stretched the budget' comment. Right now I think we are counting on Canning and Suarez quite a bit more than most people realize. That very well could work out for us, but to me it just reeks of unnecessary risk.

11 hours ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

This was something I was holding out hope for until the 'we stretched the budget' comment. Right now I think we are counting on Canning and Suarez quite a bit more than most people realize. That very well could work out for us, but to me it just reeks of unnecessary risk.

We’re not far from being able to offer minor-league deals and $1.5m base salaries with up to $3m in incentive type deals to the Gios and Tillman’s and Santanas and Jackson’s and Shields of the world, and that shouldn’t be too much more difficult to work into our stretched budget. Guys like Bedrosian, Tropeano, Robles, both Ramirez’s, Smith, LaStella, Garcia all can still be dealt off to save $1m here or there, and I believe a few of them are on non-guaranteed arb deals in which they can simply be cut without the Angels being on the hook.

There are still a few ways Eppler could make an insurance policy FA vet 5th SP a reality. 

Personally I think James Shields would be a pretty cheap option and he’s been exceptionally durable. Not the best peripherals or counting stats, but not the worst either, especially for his cost. He’d be able to eat up innings.

Edited by totdprods

Giants trade for Trevor Gott from Nationals; Johnny Cueto to 60-day IL

SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. -- The roster churn continued Wednesday morning, a couple of hours before the Giants took the field for the first time. 

The Giants acquired right-handed reliever Trevor Gott from the Washington Nationals in exchange for cash considerations. To clear a spot on the 40-man roster, Johnny Cueto was put on the 60-day injured list. 

Gott, 26, was recently designated for assignment. He made 20 appearances for the Nationals last year, posting a 5.68 ERA and 1.52 WHIP. Gott's best big league season was his first one. He had a 3.02 ERA and 1.23 WHIP in 48 appearances for the Angels in 2015

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/giants-trade-trevor-gott-nationals-163114838.html

3 hours ago, totdprods said:

We’re not far from being able to offer minor-league deals and $1.5m base salaries with up to $3m in incentive type deals to the Gios and Tillman’s and Santanas and Jackson’s and Shields of the world, and that shouldn’t be too much more difficult to work into our stretched budget. Guys like Bedrosian, Tropeano, Robles, both Ramirez’s, Smith, LaStella, Garcia all can still be dealt off to save $1m here or there, and I believe a few of them are on non-guaranteed arb deals in which they can simply be cut without the Angels being on the hook.

There are still a few ways Eppler could make an insurance policy FA vet 5th SP a reality. 

Personally I think James Shields would be a pretty cheap option and he’s been exceptionally durable. Not the best peripherals or counting stats, but not the worst either, especially for his cost. He’d be able to eat up innings.

Not to change the subject, but I don't think LaStella is going anywhere. One of our first pick ups this winter, I think Eppler was excited to get him. Only lefty we have that can play 3rd and 2nd. I think LaStella will get 250 - 300 abats

9 minutes ago, Dick Enberg said:

Not to change the subject, but I don't think LaStella is going anywhere. One of our first pick ups this winter, I think Eppler was excited to get him. Only lefty we have that can play 3rd and 2nd. I think LaStella will get 250 - 300 abats

He's scrappy, good baseball instincts, does things that don't show up in the box score....did I miss anything?  ?

1 hour ago, Dick Enberg said:

Led the NL in pinch hits last year too. I think he'll be a tremendous asset for us. Plays 1st base too

Well, he played for one out @1b last year...not sure that means he plays 1b.

BUT..for leading the NL in pinch hits.

That's basically due to how the Cubs used him. He has an uncanny ability to come off the bench and make some solid contact. Keep the line moving and the inning alive. If I'm reading it right, in 2018 he played in 123 games and started in only 24 of them. Of course that was in the NL which plays more to that strategy, but I hope Ausmus can use him that way most of the time.