• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Brad Ausmus Named Angels Skip

nando714

Scioscia is now officially, totally, gone. I couldn't be happier.

Like Scioscia, Brad will get a 2 -4 year pass from me. It wasn't until 04 that Scioscia earned my wrath. (He should have been fired right there)

Brad is not fat or stupid (yet)...so he has that going for him.

GO ANGELS!

On one hand the Tigers said they were firing Ausmus so they could hire someone more analytically inclined and hired . . . Ron Gardenhire. . . .who  practically can't spell SABR.  Not a real vote of confidence in Ausmus's understanding of probabilities.

On the other hand: Clint Hurdle.  Dude was awful with the Rockies and clearly didn't understand what was happening with the sport. But after getting fired he read up on it, got educated and relied on his stats & research department in Pittsburgh to help him make better choices.  It could be that Ausmus has gotten caught up to speed in the last year.

It could also be that Tiger's ownership was pushing a lot of the decision making onto Ausmus.  We know they were doing it to Dombroski as evidenced by the Cabrera extension and the way they fired Dombroski for trading away free agents when they were out of it.

I'm skeptical but I'll reserve judgment.

20 minutes ago, Homebrewer said:

Like Scioscia, Brad will get a 2 -4 year pass from me. It wasn't until 04 that Scioscia earned my wrath. (He should have been fired right there)

GO ANGELS!

What happened in 2004 that sosh messed up? That we couldnt beat the sox? Who swept the world series?

1 minute ago, mulwin444 said:

It's the talent...really the only thing that matters.  Anyone actually think Alex Cora makes a huge difference for the Red Sox?  Nope

Until the roster gets better, the manager is pretty irrelevant 

Yep. Epplers moves are far more important than whoever leads his moves.

1 hour ago, beatlesrule said:

According to many Detroit fans; he's not great as a coach, and he's too nice to the players...and favors veterans too much over young guys who are better. 

I'm giving Eppler the benefit of the doubt but it sure looks like his first go-around as manager was not that great.

I bet that most baseball fans of most teams think that their manager favors veterans over young guys who are better. 

Ever hear the phrase "the most popular guy in town is the backup quarterback"?

2 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

I bet that most baseball fans of most teams think that their manager favors veterans over young guys who are better. 

Ever hear the phrase "the most popular guy in town is the backup quarterback"?

I can only go by what others have said of him and trust Eppler. Like I already stated, I don't really have a problem with Ausmus, I just wanted it to be Erstad or another first time MLB manager.

7 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

What happened in 2004 that sosh messed up? That we couldnt beat the sox? Who swept the world series?

Playoff NL style small ball over-managing that failed. He never redeemed himself for it and he had 14 more seasons to do so. A team only gets so many chances in the playoffs, and Scioscia sucked in all but one of his. 04 showed his glaring weakness, and it only went downhill from there.

6 minutes ago, Homebrewer said:

Playoff NL style small ball over-managing that failed. He never redeemed himself for it and he had 14 more seasons to do so. A team only gets so many chances in the playoffs, and Scioscia sucked in all but one of his. 04 showed his glaring weakness, and it only went downhill from there.

I remember 04 as a monster lineup on paper going in tot he season. Salmon was gonna bat 7th!

Then reality hit. Glaus missed most of the year, came back early to try and make a playoff push. (And Kd looking in a crucial AB in game 3). 

GA was a completely different player after his arthritis kicked in. Guillen was supposed to bat 6th, ended up batting cleanup (and having a great year) but booted off the team for the playoffs.

Salmon threw out the 1st pitch game 1....because he was done for the year.

As stacked as we were on paper, vlad/ ga wasnt manny/ortiz. Lackey/colon wasnt pedro/schilling.

Boston was by far the better team that october. A healthy angels team may have put up a fight...but likely not much more than the yankees. Or cards.

2 hours ago, beatlesrule said:

According to many Detroit fans; he's not great as a coach, and he's too nice to the players...and favors veterans too much over young guys who are better. 

I'm giving Eppler the benefit of the doubt but it sure looks like his first go-around as manager was not that great.

Stopped reading after "according to many Detroit fans. . ."

It's interesting to read the full biography of Ausmus on Wikipedia.  I forgot that he played as long as he did in the majors (18 years).  That he won some of the awards listed there.  That his mother was Jewish, but he never really got into it himself, even though he managed the Israeli team in the World Baseball Classic.  He was an All Star in 1999, and won three gold gloves. It's a fun read, I'll try to post the reference below in case anyone is interested.....

Here it is:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brad_Ausmus

16 minutes ago, Homebrewer said:

None of that really matters or needs to be rehashed at this point in time. My bad for dredging up the past.

The King is Dead. Long Live the King. 

I agree, obviously after reading what actually happened it’s silly to blame the manager.  Especially when we blame him for small ball when the pitching gave up 25 plus runs in a 3 game series.   

1 hour ago, Homebrewer said:

GO ANGELS!

I read this as if it were written by a 10-year-old.

2 minutes ago, Taylor said:

I read this as if it were written by a 10-year-old.

Someone has a real fixation on fat people.  He must have been flattened by some stupid person who was really fat and tried to sit down,  while he was sleeping on a sofa.  Also, I didn't know that we have passes to give out, how do I get some of those?  Do they cost money?

I’ve said that if it was up to me I’d rather have seen them hire someone new.  Again, like Chavez or Paul.  But I want to know why some of the people here (not only here but Angels fan who are complaining) are so convinced that one of these other candidates would have been better ? Plenty of opportunity for a rookie manager to f*uck up.  I’ll trust the Angels FO judgement and hope for the best. 

Ultimately the biggest thing for the Angels is what the roster looks like.  The manager isn’t going to make or break whether they make the playoffs or not. 

Edited by UndertheHalo

37 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

I’ve said that if it was up to me I’d rather have seen them hire someone new.  Again, like Chavez or Paul.  But I want to know why some of the people here (not only here but Angels fan who are complaining) are so convinced that one of these other candidates would have been better ? Plenty of opportunity for a rookie manager to f*uck up.  I’ll trust the Angels FO judgement and hope for the best. 

Ultimately the biggest thing for the Angels is what the roster looks like.  The manager isn’t going to make or break whether they make the playoffs or not. 

It sounds like they didn't want to take a chance on the unknown, like with Chavez or Paul, when they had someone they had a really good handle on, and had the advantage of some level of experience.  Your point about the roster is right on.