• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Brad Ausmus Named Angels Skip

nando714

2 hours ago, NorCal Halo said:

I like it.  I've very excited with this choice and for the same reason I think this was already a done deal: Ausmus is very intelligent, very cerebral, very articulate.  I could see that the "test" was designed for him to stand out.

I hope he quotes Shakespeare, if Shakespeare ever said "turn the page".

The biggest complaint I've seen from Tigers fans regarding Ausmus was his inability to command the respect of the clubhouse and his bullpen mismanagement.  But I think much of that was situational.  Granted, he had David Price, Miggy Cabrera, J.D.Martinez, Justin Upton and V-Mart, but as I understand those four were not a cohesive unit at all and didn't much like each other.  That might be on Ausmus and it might not. 

But he's stepping into a scenario where Trout, Simmons and Pujols are the unquestioned leaders of that clubhouse and they all share a common trait.  Those are three of the hardest workers in the sport.  Trout, you see his physique and the offseason workout videos.  With Simmons, you see how meticulous he is about fielding.  When he does something amazing, he isn't doing it to be flashy, he's doing it because that's where his ability is.  And Pujols, his toughness and work ethic are the only reason he's still able to compete, because his declining skill set would've forced anyone else out of baseball already. 

So the clubhouse shouldn't be an issue for him. 

But the bullpen.....well Scioscia wasn't exactly the best at bullpen management either.  So the best thing Eppler can do in this situation is surround Ausmus with so many good options that he can't screw it up.

I'm sure Ausmus will find some success here.  It might not be for a couple seasons, but it's coming.  

For me, it'll be interesting to see how he handles the prospects coming in.  Because there's about to be a huge infusion of talent coming into the clubhouse from the minors, like Fletcher, Ward, Hermosillo, Thaiss, Rengifo, Fernandez, Canning, Suarez, Adell, Jones, Marsh etc.... and it's all coming in the next two years.  It'll be interesting to see how he shapes the persona of this team. 

Well.. i like a lot of what i heard at the presser.  Im on board with merging analytics and human aspects of the game so for me i loved hearing that and io loved that they more than once mentioned win now suggesting that 19 isnt some kind of throw away.  
Seemed clear we can expect some of the more well know kids to get at least a cup of coffee this year, no shock but good to hear.
Eppler on the clock, well see what he gives Ausmus to work with. 

1 minute ago, Angel Oracle said:

Weren't the Tigers mainly a veteran team for most of the time he was managing there?  At least through 2016?

The team hovered at a median age of 29-30 but what is most surprising is that even with Martinez and Cabrera, for his first two years Ian Kinsler was the Tigers best player at 5.9 war. His last season Justin Upton was his best player at 5.2.

So for three of his four seasons Ausmus didn't have a player better than Simmons and none close to Trout. 

22 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

I bet that most baseball fans of most teams think that their manager favors veterans over young guys who are better. 

Ever hear the phrase "the most popular guy in town is the backup quarterback"?

Hah--If you'd seen the last home Broncos game, you'd know that to be true.

Just like it's been true in Denver in every (non-Manning) season since Elway retired.