• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Brad Ausmus Named Angels Skip

nando714

28 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Based on those numbers, Calhoun has truly regressed (aside from 2016, and a big 3 months in 2018 wiped out by a wretched April/May/September).

Cozart, on the other hand, actually improved his numbers from 2015-2017 over what they were in 2012-2014.   2018 does seem like an outlier, but it hasn't been a general trend of decreased numbers like with Calhoun.   Granted, Cozart played in a hitter's park in Cincy. 

Calhoun is clearly not the player he was, but his splits were so severe in 2018 post swing change that it’s difficult to project where he’ll end up in 2019. I’d bet he’ll be better than a .652 ops, but will he top .725? I don’t know. 

21 hours ago, mtangelsfan said:

I'm sure it was thoroughly discussed during the interviewing process.  Brad will be doing on the field what Eppler wants him to do on the field.  

They actually said they didn’t discuss any current players during any of the interviews. Of course they had the previous 11 months to discuss it. 

On 10/22/2018 at 7:40 PM, disarcina said:

this decision was made when Ausmus was hired as special assistant to the GM.

He has been the 'manager in waiting' since his hiring as a special assistant

I don’t believe this because Eppler and Ausmus barely knew each other when he was hired a year ago. 

I do believe by Oct 1 he’s become the most likely successor, but he still needed to win oct 1-15

20 hours ago, Stradling said:

Scioscia after 19 years didn’t have final say.  That isn’t how things are done.  I have 7 managers, 35 assistant managers and 7 different locations, and I have 30 plus years of experience.  I don’t have total final say in some of the things I oversee.  It is called real life.

All managers have the final say in lots of little things. They just don’t get to override their superiors on the big things. 

It is called real life. 

On 10/23/2018 at 10:32 AM, stormngt said:

OPS 

2011  Cozart 811   Pujols 906

2012  Cozart 687   Pujols 859  Calhoun 457

2013  Cozart 665    Pujols 767  Calhoun 808

2014  Cozart 569    Pujols 790  Calhoun 776

2015  Cozart 769   Pujols  787  Calhoun 731

2016  Cozart 732    Pujols 780  Calhoun 786

2017 Cozart 933   Pujols 672  Calhoun 725

2018 Cozart 658   Pujols 700  Calhoun 652

Looking at the numbers:  Pujols had a better offensive season than Cozart in 6 out of the last 7 seasons and both are over 30 and regressing

Pujols had a better offensive season than Calhoun 3 out of the last 6 seasons.  2016 there was a .001 pt separation so  basically a tie.  

So let me be clear so we can just shut this debate down

Neither Calhoun nor Cozart have proven to be better hitters than  Pujols during either of their careers.  I guess since Calhoun is younger we can still hope 700+ OPS.  However, Pujols has only been under 700 once in last seven years.  Estimating an continue regression of Pujols and hoping Kole jumps back to high 700s again than maybe.  I don't have that confidence.  Hell most on this board would love to see Calhoun traded.

Pujols is not longer an impact hitter.  We just haven't had five better hitters on the team when he has been in the lineup. Who know how anyone is hitting next year? 

Although I like your offensive-oriented argument, it completely disregards fielding ability which is its downfall.

5 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

They actually said they didn’t discuss any current players during any of the interviews. Of course they had the previous 11 months to discuss it. 

It is always what is left unspoken that completes the truth.

Just now, ettin said:

Although I like your offensive-oriented argument, it completely disregards fielding ability which is its downfall.

This whole conversation started when I asked who currently on our team are better hitters than Pujols. 

That is why I dont take fielding into account.

Just now, stormngt said:

This whole conversation started when I asked who currently on our team are better hitters than Pujols. 

That is why I dont take fielding into account.

Fair enough but I think adding fielding into the conversation brings Pujols impending end-of-career into starker view.

• 6 months later...

On October 21, 2018 at 10:03 AM, nando714 said:

Let’s go to work!!!

pumped 

On October 21, 2018 at 10:05 AM, Fish Oil said:

Great news! Now let's move forward.

On October 21, 2018 at 10:05 AM, Chuckster70 said:

Good move. He passed the test set by Eppler and has worked beside him for a year now.

On October 21, 2018 at 10:15 AM, nando714 said:

He’s was on Eppler’s hip all last season. They are obviously on the same page regarding the future of the big league club.

i actually ran into Ausmus last season at the big A. He was really approachable. Seemed like a good dude. 

On October 21, 2018 at 10:33 AM, fan_since79 said:

Even though nobody cares what I think, I think it's a good choice.

Good luck to him, he'll need it.

On October 21, 2018 at 10:36 AM, fan_since79 said:

Wow, he hasn't managed a game yet and everybody hates him.

At least Scioscia had a couple years of good will before the place turned on him.

On October 21, 2018 at 10:41 AM, fan_since79 said:

When the pitchers (inevitably) get hurt and the hitters can't hit, Ausmus will be blamed.

He's got a thankless job now with this franchise, and I wish him the best. I'm actually feeling good about this new beginning, regardless of whatever "baggage" he may be carrying. Some of it I think is exaggerated.

On October 21, 2018 at 10:45 AM, robblin17 said:

Everyone in here acting like he’s the same guy as he was in Detroit.

The bring back Scioscia crowd is comical. 

On October 21, 2018 at 3:42 PM, Dtwncbad said:

First of all, I was totally wrong in dismissing Ausmus as possibly the next Angel manager.  I believed he was on the track to being a GM and really didn't need to go back into a dugout.  I was wrong.

Secondly, there is very little to complain about here. . .unless you want to assume Ausmus is so stupid that he didn't learn anything from his 4 years managing the Tigers.

He just spent a very healthy amount of time glued to Eppler, so that experience is going to have more influence on how he manages than what he did with the Tigers.

There is no question the guy is very intelligent, he is educated, he played catcher forever, and he is still plenty young enough to relate to the contemporary player.  Obviously Eppler is satisfied, so there is really no reason to be negative on this guy.

Now let's get a couple of impact players and play ball.

On October 21, 2018 at 5:10 PM, Homebrewer said:

Scioscia is now officially, totally, gone. I couldn't be happier.

Like Scioscia, Brad will get a 2 -4 year pass from me. It wasn't until 04 that Scioscia earned my wrath. (He should have been fired right there)

Brad is not fat or stupid (yet)...so he has that going for him.

GO ANGELS!

On October 21, 2018 at 5:13 PM, Homebrewer said:

Looking forward to watching post game interviews (without laughing and/or gagging) again!

i agree 

13 minutes ago, Lou said:

i agree 

After new evidence has been introduced in the case the defendant rests and agrees with the prosecutors.

Brad Ausmus is guilty of being charged as a cheat on his hiring exams and incapable of becoming a successful  MLB manager.   

I  always cringe when I see that Lou has quoted me from an old post.

What happened? Did Brad say something Scioscia like?  I'm not able to watch this team at all these days, I certainly don't tune in just for the post game interview..

52 minutes ago, Lou said:

Like Scioscia, Brad will get a 2 -4 year pass from me

^^^^I stand by what I said when Ausmus was hired.^^^

waving.gif.da8b234b747bad9a567447dfc1964bcf.gif

On 10/21/2018 at 5:30 PM, mulwin444 said:

It's the talent...really the only thing that matters.  Anyone actually think Alex Cora makes a huge difference for the Red Sox?  Nope

Until the roster gets better, the manager is pretty irrelevant 

True. Ausmus had a ton of talent in his tenure in Detroit and didn't win a Championship, only made the playoffs once. 

This bodes well for the Halos going forward. 

Screen Shot 2019-04-25 at 12.52.10 PM.png

2 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

True. Ausmus had a ton of talent in his tenure in Detroit and didn't win a Championship, only made the playoffs once. 

This bodes well for the Halos going forward. 

Screen Shot 2019-04-25 at 12.52.10 PM.png

TON of talent...haha

Come on, dude

I know you are the conductor of the "Ausmus Hate Train" lately but they had a lot of crap on their roster from 2014 - 2017 before trading away their good pieces in his last season.

April is not even done and people are calling for him to be fired...it's ridiculous