• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Noah Syndergaard - Angels Agree to 1-Year, $21 Million Deal

Lhalo

Regarding this deal...it's a start. No clue what the budget is this offseason but hopefully the fact that they just spent $21M on 1 arm is a sign that Arte is serious about spending...because they still have quite a few needs to address still

Assuming health(easier said than done when dealing with Angels pitchers), I'm not worried about Thor's production. That said, we're likely talking about an innings limit similar to what we just saw from Ohtani this past year. Angels still have massive needs in the rotation from an innings standpoint even after this signing, but QUALITY innings was also a major need and hopefully the Syndergaard signing fixes that

Perfect scenario out of this signing is that Syndergaard looks dominant again and the Angels likely give him a big extension considering he'll only be 30 years old after the season

Edited by bloodbrother

Part of me is growing more intrigued by the idea of letting Iglesias walk, saving the money, taking the draft pick…

And looking into acquiring either Sonny Gray or Luis Castillo, maybe with Amir Garrett, since the Reds seemingly are giving away talent. Hell try and get all three. Might cost Adell/Marsh, two top SP prospects or Suarez, and a SS prospect. 

Replenish with a cheaper SP like Matz/DeSclafani, a couple relievers, and a RF.

5 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Part of me is growing more intrigued by the idea of letting Iglesias walk, saving the money, taking the draft pick…

And looking into acquiring either Sonny Gray or Luis Castillo, maybe with Amir Garrett, since the Reds seemingly are giving away talent. Hell try and get all three. Might cost Adell/Marsh, two top SP prospects or Suarez, and a SS prospect. 

I despise the thought of paying big money for RP but the Angels pen is/was brutal this past season outside of the certainty that Iglesias provided at the back end. If the Angels are looking to win now, it's hard to go into the year with all these SP upgrades just to have uncertainty at closer again IMO

Just now, bloodbrother said:

I despise the thought of paying big money for RP but the Angels pen is/was brutal this past season outside of the certainty that Iglesias provided at the back end. If the Angels are looking to win now, it's hard to go into the year with all these SP upgrades just to have uncertainty at closer again IMO

I hear what you're saying, but we saw what Minasian did last offseason - he acquired Iglesias for nothing and paid him around 8mil.  It worked out really well.  I think he can probably find a suitable replacement without having to shell out a 3/45 type deal for Iglesias.  Signing relievers to big contracts generally turns out very poorly, and I'd rather allocate the "bigger bucks" to SPs and try to use the same strategy as last offseason to find a closer.

I don't think this means they aren't going to resign Raisel. They want him back, they just don't want to pay $18M per season. Hendriks deal is widely reported as being a 54M/3 year deal for an 18M average. It is actually

Hendriks would receive a $1 million signing bonus, $11 million in 2021, $13 million in 2022, $14 million in 2023 and a $15 million club option with a $15 million buyout. He has a no-trade clause in 2021, can veto trades to 10 teams in 2022, and five teams in 2023 and 2024.

This is really a 54M 4 Year Deal, structured this way for luxury tax purposes. 54/4 = 13.5 average.

The record is Jansen's 5 year 80M and Chapman's 3 year 48M AAV is 16.

If they could do 3/42 with a buyout, 12/13/14 with a 2M buyout or 15M option...I'd be all about it if I were Iglesias. Yes he could probably get more with a team like the Phillies, but he liked Anaheim, and it's guaranteed money ahead of a potential lockout.

4 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

I hear what you're saying, but we saw what Minasian did last offseason - he acquired Iglesias for nothing and paid him around 8mil.  It worked out really well.  I think he can probably find a suitable replacement without having to shell out a 3/45 type deal for Iglesias.  Signing relievers to big contracts generally turns out very poorly, and I'd rather allocate the "bigger bucks" to SPs and try to use the same strategy as last offseason to find a closer.

My solution: Simply trade for any Rays reliever!

6 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

I totally agree. Keeping Iglesias was 1A for me. 

But Graveman, Hader, Diaz, Smith, Jansen all have degrees of availability too, and almost all at a cheaper 2022 salary. 

My hope is they lock up Iglesias to something kind of dumb, like a 4-5 year deal, with an AAV around $15m, allowing them to backload a bit and keep 2022 manageable ($10m? $12m?) for other adds. And I think that’s realistic. 

29 minutes ago, Hubs said:

I don't think this means they aren't going to resign Raisel. They want him back, they just don't want to pay $18M per season. Hendriks deal is widely reported as being a 54M/3 year deal for an 18M average. It is actually

Hendriks would receive a $1 million signing bonus, $11 million in 2021, $13 million in 2022, $14 million in 2023 and a $15 million club option with a $15 million buyout. He has a no-trade clause in 2021, can veto trades to 10 teams in 2022, and five teams in 2023 and 2024.

This is really a 54M 4 Year Deal, structured this way for luxury tax purposes. 54/4 = 13.5 average.

The record is Jansen's 5 year 80M and Chapman's 3 year 48M AAV is 16.

If they could do 3/42 with a buyout, 12/13/14 with a 2M buyout or 15M option...I'd be all about it if I were Iglesias. Yes he could probably get more with a team like the Phillies, but he liked Anaheim, and it's guaranteed money ahead of a potential lockout.

I agree. When you look at long-term financials, the Angels are unlikely to extend Iglesias for more than 3 years, unless the 4th year is a team option with lower value.

53 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Who closes then?

I'm Excited, Thor has some upside. And he would have showed a few more innings last year if not for Covid. 

We lost the Draft Pick. But, could move him for higher rung talent if the season wanes in 2022. 

I'm not thinking that. And it was the first of my suggested moves. So, nice! 

Who's next? Stroman, Gray, Wood, Matz, Cobb, DeScaflani or a Trade for Castillo?

I also don't believe this leaves Iglesias out in the cold. There is work being done on that front as well.

3 hours ago, totdprods said:

I’d be pretty leery committing long-term to Syndergaard given his health.

Perhaps a one-year deal offers some hope that Arte will be willing to spend a little more than expected this winter. 

Also, Perry could be signing pitchers short-term until some of those twenty draft picks are ready.

2 hours ago, Warfarin said:

I understand the skepticism, but this is somewhat true for a lot of SPs.  That said, I think Syndergaard has the highest upside of any pitcher we have "gambled" on in that sense.

Also, consider - if we aren't good again this year, and Syndergaard is actually fairly healthy and pitching to his capabilities, then we could likely trade him at the deadline for some pretty good prospects.

Another phrase I hear every year.